Had to use my winch for the first time

EJD

TJ Overlander
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
These sand pits are deceiving...entered in thinking I could pass through the area only to find out it was all too steep and the sand was too deep. I spent a good 30-45 minutes trying to just K-Turn with traction boards and my shovel before it was obvious, there is no way in hell those are getting me out of there. Luckily I had the Warn M8 and a trail box full of TRE! Wrapped the new Tree Saver Soft Shackle around the closest thing with good roots and I was out in just a couple minutes time. Super impressed with everything @Garza I absolutely love this product!

More pics from Sand Lake.

IMG_3843.jpg

IMG_3846.jpg

IMG_3851.jpg

I should also say the Warn remote was a game changer too, highly recommended!

Last edited:
Been considering getting that remote. Nice!
Oh you should if/when you can, it's a touch on the pricey side for a remote but I felt it was a worthy buy. Puts you in a much more convenient spot while winching, plus mine worked from way further away than the advertised 50ft range!

You have a M8000 too, right?

Oh you should if/when you can, it's a touch on the pricey side for a remote but I felt it was a worthy buy. Puts you in a much more convenient spot while winching, plus mine worked from way further away than the advertised 50ft range!

You have a M8000 too, right?

Yes, I do.

Reactions: EJD
Looks good but just a tip for winching, especially out in the dunes where the SxS and quads haul a$$, toss something bright and visible over the cable/rope . That way if/when someone comes ripping around a corner that can see ya have a line across the trail.
I was gonna suggest the same thing yesterday, but had read where he said it was the second time he'd been there without seeing another soul. That, and being that I've never used a winch before, I didn't really feel qualified to make suggestions. Guess it's a good idea, regardless. (y)

Reactions: DrDmoney and EJD
That, and being that I've never used a winch before, I didn't really feel qualified to make suggestions.
There are times in this world where one needs no experience to make a valid suggestion. I've never eaten a cat shit sandwich, but I can with 100% certainty recommend that as a very bad idea to anyone considering trying one. That and I've never seen relevance as being high on your list of criteria to refrain from commentary in any thread.

It should also be a weighted bright cover on rope/cable. if for some reason it snaps the weight will drop it to the ground instead of possibly whipping you or someone else

Reactions: TJ Rubicus
yes definitely make sure to bring a gigantic tire spray painted orange to slow it down a bit... 2:10 and on.

4:03, nevermind that apparently wont help either.

Looks good but just a tip for winching, especially out in the dunes where the SxS and quads haul a$$, toss something bright and visible over the cable/rope . That way if/when someone comes ripping around a corner that can see ya have a line across the trail.

In my head I imagine some guy on an ATV flying by, not seeing the line, and getting clotheslined at 40 MPH. That would hurt!

Anyone happen to know if I switch to 3/8" rope from 5/16", will I be able to spool 100' onto the drum of the M8000? or will I have to do a 90' length of rope?

It should also be a weighted bright cover on rope/cable. if for some reason it snaps the weight will drop it to the ground instead of possibly whipping you or someone else
I thought synthetic line wouldn't snap back like steel cable, thats part of their allure is that in the event of a rope failure it does not store the energy and will just fall on its own.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldguy
I though synthetic line would snap back like steel cable, thats part of their allure is that in the event of a rope failure it does not store the energy and will just fall on its own.
Synthetic winch rope does stretch to some degree, therefore there would be some kind of stored energy if it breaks under tension. A damper should still be used in your typical recovery the same way you would with a steel line.

I thought synthetic line wouldn't snap back like steel cable, thats part of their allure is that in the event of a rope failure it does not store the energy and will just fall on its own.
Stretch, which synthetic might do more than steel, actually reduces recoil. The less stretch is an cable, the more static it is resulting in a sudden more violent recoil than a cable which will stretch under load, a cable which is dynamic, and releases energy in a slower process.

Think of it like loading your own shells and trying to reduce the recoil on your shoulder vs .....

but everything will recoil dangerously when under full load.

The very things which make synthetic rope desirable and maybe safer.... being more dynamic than steel, also make it less desirable since it can stretch and therefore pull if load is reduced when you wish it would just be static and stable. It is nice to know when you winch in 5" the vehicle moves 5". With dynamic synthetic line winching in 5" against an increasing load might only move the object 4"..... which means there is an inch of stored kinetic energy just waiting for the opportunity to move the vehicle another inch. All reasons to stand back and keep your hands clear.

Which applies to both steel and synthetic line. Keep clear.

Last edited:
Stretch, which synthetic might do more than steel, actually reduces recoil. The less stretch is an cable, the more static it is resulting in a sudden more violent recoil than a cable which will stretch under load, a cable which is dynamic, and releases energy in a slower process.

Think of it like loading your own shells and trying to reduce the recoil on your shoulder vs .....

but everything will recoil dangerously when under full load.

The very things which make synthetic rope desirable and maybe safer.... being more dynamic than steel, also make it less desirable since it can stretch and therefore pull if load is reduced when you wish it would just be static and stable. It is nice to know when you winch in 5" the vehicle moves 5". With dynamic synthetic line winching in 5" against an increasing load might only move the object 4"..... which means there is an inch of stored kinetic energy just waiting for the opportunity to move the vehicle another inch. All reasons to stand back and keep your hands clear.

Which applies to both steel and synthetic line. Keep clear.
You don't strike me as someone who typically types out stuff after they have partaken of some mind altering substance, that is until you come up with stuff like the above.