Half door mirrors or relocation brackets?

This is off topic, a bit....Where are you guys sourcing your 1/2 doors? I see lots of new out there but have concerns about fit.
I have full doors and when removed, I have the steinjager magnetics that go in the top hinge point. I did thread the bottom and added a jam nut and washer to keep them from vibration while driving. Also deters theft.

This is off topic, a bit....Where are you guys sourcing your 1/2 doors? I see lots of new out there but have concerns about fit.
I have full doors and when removed, I have the steinjager magnetics that go in the top hinge point. I did thread the bottom and added a jam nut and washer to keep them from vibration while driving. Also deters theft.
I found my half doors on Craig'slist.

Reactions: Ericict
I install CJ mirrors on the windshield frame and remove the ones from the doors, that way I can install and remove whatever I want when I want and still be legal.
@astjp2 diggin' up an old thread ... How do you mount those? The pictures of these mirrors show a set of 4 holes for the mirror mount. Did you make a bracket adapter? I remember seeing the passenger-side mirror through the windshield on my CJ and I've been putting this off on my TJ for years. Now that my kids are starting to drive it, I'm suddenly more motivated to have that passenger-side mirror :)

@astjp2 diggin' up an old thread ... How do you mount those? The pictures of these mirrors show a set of 4 holes for the mirror mount. Did you make a bracket adapter? I remember seeing the passenger-side mirror through the windshield on my CJ and I've been putting this off on my TJ for years. Now that my kids are starting to drive it, I'm suddenly more motivated to have that passenger-side mirror :)
https://www.quadratec.com/products/13111_0410_14.htmIf you get these, they mount using existing holes in the windshield frame/ body. I have these, and while most mirrors that mount like this tend to block most of the passenger mirror, I found that mounting them one screw higher, top body screw, bottom w/s frame screw, raises the mirror so that you can see it. Another hint: throw away the "Quick release" screws and replace them with the appropriate size standard bolt.

I like the Harley Davidson mirrors myself and you can drivers and passenger sides

View attachment 273930
I ran Harley mirrors on my first TJ. Mine were a more rectangle shaped, and man they worked great! I loved the short arm as it helped to reduce vibrations. In fact I mean to cut down the overly long arm of the round quadratec mirror I'm currently using.

The only downside, anything that says "Harley" on it is expensive!!

Reactions: Plumber1
I (now) have both sets of doors - the original full doors and a newly painted set of half doors for my '04 Columbia Edition. Being The World's Laziest Man, I bought a 2nd set of factory mirrors and mounted them on my half doors; I also had the locks keyed alike, even that I NEVER lock the doors w/either set since I have a soft top only. I did it so that it's ONE less thing to keep me awake at night thinking about, LOL...

This is music to my ears. You and a couple others above went a similar route. I just received GenRight aluminum half doors, Ebay OEM hinges in the correct color and Ebay OEM mirrors. Your method was my plan and I was looking for confirmation that I'm not wasting my time and money.

Any tips or tricks on the installation, otherwise stated, any stupid moves to avoid?:D My MO is if you can't do it right, do it twice.

Did you re-key via locksmith? Or is it a DIY deal?

Thanks.

I take the top off as soon as the temp stays above 55 degrees (sunny CA) and I would love to find some half doors that are reasonably priced (are they made of gold? haha) and I'll definitely just install a set of mirrors on the half doors...I'm lazy that way

Reactions: lowranger
I take the top off as soon as the temp stays above 55 degrees (sunny CA) and I would love to find some half doors that are reasonably priced (are they made of gold? haha) and I'll definitely just install a set of mirrors on the half doors...I'm lazy that way
Big bucks for new. Used are probably following that trend as well.
JCR doors doubled in price in a year. That's why I chose GenRight or UCF and ended up with GR before the aluminum prices drive theirs out of range as well. JCR answered me that pricing could cause them to discontinue some products. 1st world problems but still sad.

I ran Harley mirrors on my first TJ. Mine were a more rectangle shaped, and man they worked great! I loved the short arm as it helped to reduce vibrations. In fact I mean to cut down the overly long arm of the round quadratec mirror I'm currently using.

The only downside, anything that says "Harley" on it is expensive!!

Nah, you do what my wife did. Bought a set of stock take-offs at a swap meet. Got a brand-new set of genuine HD stock mirrors for $8 (dude wanted $10).

Reactions: nathanotis
Big bucks for new. Used are probably following that trend as well.
JCR doors doubled in price in a year. That's why I chose GenRight or UCF and ended up with GR before the aluminum prices drive theirs out of range as well. JCR answered me that pricing could cause them to discontinue some products. 1st world problems but still sad.
Indeed. Metal prices are outrageous right now

I'll keep combing Craigslist in hopes of finding some for a reasonable price. There are a lot of old TJs around here - most are bone stock. Maybe somebody will pick up a project and I'll get lucky

Indeed. Metal prices are outrageous right now

I'll keep combing Craigslist in hopes of finding some for a reasonable price. There are a lot of old TJs around here - most are bone stock. Maybe somebody will pick up a project and I'll get lucky
Craigslist around here finds me parts from 250 - 300+ mi. Up here in the cheap seats.

This is music to my ears. You and a couple others above went a similar route. I just received GenRight aluminum half doors, Ebay OEM hinges in the correct color and Ebay OEM mirrors. Your method was my plan and I was looking for confirmation that I'm not wasting my time and money.

Any tips or tricks on the installation, otherwise stated, any stupid moves to avoid?:D My MO is if you can't do it right, do it twice.

Did you re-key via locksmith? Or is it a DIY deal?

Thanks.
Well, since I went 100% OEM with both mirrors and doors, everything fit perfectly. I did a 100% removal of EVERY. SINGLE. PART. w/in the doors, then had them repainted inside and out, then reassembled them. I paid a locksmith to rekey the doors; ironically he had a bit of trouble with them, but they're all good right now. You'd be hard-pressed to know WHICH set of doors came with the Jeep...

Reactions: NOTNSUV