Half door slider hardware 'pin insert' replacements?

Kiwiphil

I have a two piece Bestop hard top on my TJ with half doors and hard upper slider windows. The hard top bolts down into the pin inserts, which have slotted nuts held captive by the sprung metal section at the bottom (described as compression nuts in the install manual I found).

The pin inserts are worn and no longer hold the upper firmly in place, at highway speeds the top of the door pulls away from the hard top and it's insanely loud (also quite wet when it's raining..).

I know the standard replacement pins are available, and Bull Dawg make a better replacement pin with an integrated nut.. but I still see the issue that you're relying on a plastic insert to hold the upper door firm, and seems likely that it'll just loosen up again with time.

I've done a bit of searching and can't find much out on other solutions.. I'm thinking of doing away with the plastic inserts and cutting some flat bar to same dimensions as the tops of the plastic inserts, tapping a thread or welding a nut to the underside and welding to the top of the door frame. Has anyone had success doing similar before?

1606898389999.jpg

1606898195804.jpg

Well, if anyone runs into the same problem, I tackled it with a friend who's a good weldor. The top of the door frame is pretty thin, most of the structure is provided by the 'channels' that the pin inserts fit inside. So we got a bit of filler weld between the channel and outer door skin and then welded the flat bar to the top.

It works very well and the upper doors have significantly less flex now. I still have a lot of wind noise, but that's down to worn seals now.

If I was to do it again, I'd probably try cutting the top off the pin inserts and thread a bolt through the flat bar and remaining part of the insert before dropping into the hole. This would make it much easier to align everything, but does mean there'd be the bottom half of the pin insert floating around inside.