Ham Radio Antenna Questions

TJustin

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I'm within a few weeks of finally installing my Yaesu FT-2980R 2m VHF radio. It is being installed in addition to my Cobra 75WXST CB radio. The antenna for the CB is mounted on a Teraflex mount that locates it above the tail light on the passenger side.

I am looking into options for a VHF antenna as well as mounting locations. I'm considering purchasing a Teraflex mount for the driver's side and mounting the 2nd antenna on that side, as well as trying to navigate the various antenna options. NGP 1/2 wave antennas vs 1/4 wave antennas, etc.

Any direction is appreciated.

Thanks,

K6TJR

A 1/2 wave antenna will be more forgiving of ground plane issues. You do not need or want NGP antennas.

I use the Teraflex tail light antenna brackets on both driver and passenger sides, one for CB and the other for 2m. (I no longer use a spring for my CB antenna - it is unnecessary for the 2' Firestik II and 4' Firestik Firefly antennas I use.

CB Mount Img 1.jpg

Reactions: TJustin
I have a CB antennae on the left tail light mount & a 2 meter VHF antennae on the right next to the tail light---both work great

Reactions: TJustin
A 1/2 wave antenna will be more forgiving of ground plane issues. You do not need or want NGP antennas.

Thank you for the feedback. I've heard people in both camps explain whether I need / don't need an NGP antenna if I mount it on the back. TBH, I am not versed either way to make an educated decision. I know far enough to understand the basics of NGP and GP antennas.

Can you explain why you don't need an NGP antenna if mounting in the back?

My plan is to mount an MFJ (https://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1432) when I get the time. My experience/knowledge as to why it’s a great antenna is limited and I’m going off the recommendation of a friend that has been in the RF world (engineering these and related tech) for 15 or so years.

I have a two hole terraflex brake light bracket I’ll use temporarily, but the same friend recommend the 2m antenna be caddy corner, once I measure and better know which (or if both) I’ll run regularly to decide.

For trail communications it's seems rare that I need both CB and 2M at the same time. I followed Jerrys advice and found a Hustler SF-2 and just use the 3/8 x 24 CB mount and cable for both. If you don't need both it's something to consider.

For trail communications it's seems rare that I need both CB and 2M at the same time. . . .

Funny that you mention this today.

I was just speaking with someone involved with my county sheriff's search and rescue team jeep posse. Members are issued radios for use during operations and those radios have antennas utilizing NMO antenna mounts as do most 2m ham antennas. Rather than retain his ham radio NMO antenna mount and a 3/8-24 CB antenna mount, and rather than add additional NMO mounts, he switched his CB antenna to a Larsen cut-to-tune NMO-27B so he can quickly replace his NMO CB and ham antennas with the NMO antennas for the S&R radios.

Standardized antenna mounts for all purposes, but NMO rather than 3/8-24. Doesn't work for everyone but it works for him.

See: https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmo27b-6439

For a similar NMO CB antenna marketed by Browning, see: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043I6FJA/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: pagrey
Thank you for the feedback. I've heard people in both camps explain whether I need / don't need an NGP antenna if I mount it on the back. TBH, I am not versed either way to make an educated decision. I know far enough to understand the basics of NGP and GP antennas.

Can you explain why you don't need an NGP antenna if mounting in the back?

You DO need a no ground plane if mounting it on a bracket on the back.
If you were mounting it in the middle of the roof (if it was a metal roof) you would have a good ground plane.

I've got the Arizona Rocky Road dual mount with both 3/8” - 24 for CB and NMO for Ham. It's a nice fit with the spare tire mount.

That's a special order, but they'll make it for you if you ask.

Reactions: DrDmoney
I should have my call sign today! Posted on the FCC site. I am hopeful. What does TBH, NMO mean

I figured GP= Ground Plane and NGP= Non Ground Plane ?

Thanks and 73!

You DO need a no ground plane if mounting it on a bracket on the back.
If you were mounting it in the middle of the roof (if it was a metal roof) you would have a good ground plane.

I will be doing something similar to the above pictured Rugged Radios windshield mount. (I will be welding a bracket off of my mirror relocators for the antenna.

Does this make a difference in what antenna I should use? NGP vs GP?

I will be doing something similar to the above pictured Rugged Radios windshield mount. (I will be welding a bracket off of my mirror relocators for the antenna.

Does this make a difference in what antenna I should use? NGP vs GP?
NGP antennae’s are designed for mounting to fiberglass tops, camper shells, thickly coated metal surfaces and vehicles with little or no metal for a ground plane, like a boat or a motorcycle.

I should have my call sign today! Posted on the FCC site. I am hopeful. What does TBH, NMO mean

I figured GP= Ground Plane and NGP= Non Ground Plane ?

Thanks and 73!
TBH is a type of antenna and NMO is a type of antenna mount.
So I looked it up it stands for transverse bilateral helical antenna.

Last edited:
NGP antennae’s are designed for mounting to fiberglass tops, camper shells, thickly coated metal surfaces and vehicles with little or no metal for a ground plane, like a boat or a motorcycle.

thank you for the feedback. Can you help me understand why some people say I need a no ground plane antenna in this situation? (Either mounting to the side or rear of the Jeep?

thank you for the feedback. Can you help me understand why some people say I need a no ground plane antenna in this situation? (Either mounting to the side or rear of the Jeep?

From my understanding the gist is if the antenna or mount are attached to a properly grounded metal base.

If you’re drilling a hole in a hard top or similar - Non-ground. Any metal mount (Bumper, taillight mount, etc) - grounded. The caveat for the metal mounts being you need to grind away the painted coating between the antenna mount and the antenna.

CB antennas are similar for the grounding. For example the powder coated taillight mounts usually need a few spots ground down to expose the metal to ground to the tub: antenna mount and tub bolt.

Reactions: DrDmoney