HAM Radio FAQ

TJDave

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
The subject of Ham Radio, in relation to preparedness, is one that’s often overlooked. When it is talked about, it’s often an afterthought in an article, or it’s presented by someone who has no real experience with radio communication technology.

In my opinion, Ham Radio still plays a very important role in emergency communications and preparedness. If you’re serious about survival and prepping, you really need to look into HAM Radio.

In general, radio communications is a pretty complicated subject; one that can hardly be covered in a single article. That being said, I want to answer some of the most common questions I receive about Ham Radio, and why I feel it’s so important to survivalists and preppers.

Why is Ham Radio Still Important?
In an age where communication is often taken for granted, it’s easy to overlook the importance of Ham Radio.

I often receive questions like: “Why do I need Ham Radio when I have a cell phone?” or “Didn’t the internet kill Ham Radio?” While these modern forms of communication may have shifted the attention away from Ham Radio, by no means did it make it unnecessary. In fact, during a disaster, it’s very likely that these modern forms of communication will be the first ones to fail.

The number one reason for preparedness minded people to consider Ham Radio is its reliability during times of crisis. Since the early 1900s, this form of communication has reliably made it through every major crisis, disaster, and emergency situation with flying colors. When all other forms of communication fail, Hams are often the ones who are called upon to help communicate in and out of the disaster zone.

When the grid goes down, the Ham Bands will still be alive and very active.

What about my Emergency Radios, can’t I just use that to get information?
Probably Not! Emergency radios are great; I have a few of them myself, but during a large-scale disaster, they’ll probably become completely useless.

Think about it this way; most Emergency radios have the normal local AM & FM Bands, a few weather channels, and possibly some shortwave frequencies. During a large-scale disaster, most of these radio stations will either shut down because of a lack of power, or they’ll go silent when their employees stop showing up for work.

On the other hand, Ham Radio will be more active than ever. During any kind of disaster, small or large, the Ham bands light up. From being able to monitor local communications, to monitoring what’s happening nationally or even throughout the world, Ham Radio allows you to find out what’s really going on.

One thing to keep in mind about Ham Radio is its operators are independent operators that don’t answer to any corporations or government officials. Yes, you do have to be licensed; but the people you’re listening to are independent operators that have no agenda, not filters, and no reason to lie about the situation. You will be hearing raw, unfiltered news right from the source.

How will I power my Radio when the Grid goes down?
While some radios require massive amounts of power, there are a lot of Hams who enjoy the challenges of operating on next to nothing. In Ham lingo, it’s known as QRPing. And yes, these weird terms and phrases actually mean something and are extremely useful when operating in low power situations.

From using solar, wind, and other alternative power sources to the batteries in your vehicles, boats, or RV’s there are a number of ways to power a Ham Radio after the grid goes down. In fact, some radios can be operated with little more than the batteries in your smoke detector.

Personally, I’ve talked to people from around the globe with less than 10 watts of power. If you really know what you’re doing, you can transmit with even less. I use an Icom 703, with a battery pack that can be recharged with a small solar panel.

Can’t I just buy a Radio without becoming licensed?
I often come across people who buy the equipment without ever learning how to use it. In my opinion, it’s the same as buying a gun and then never learning how to fire it. While there’s nothing stopping you from buying the equipment, I probably wouldn’t do it without learning how to use it first.

Each type of equipment, power source, antenna, and communication mode has its own set of strengths, weaknesses and intricacies. Ham Radio equipment isn’t something that you can just pull out of the box during an emergency. Just like every other skill in life, it requires practice; and in the case of Ham Radio, a lot of it.

I refuse to be part of something where I have to be licensed by the FCC.
I hear this argument a lot; and while I usually do everything I can to keep government out of my life, in the case of HAM Radio, I feel the benefits far outweigh the risk. So unless you’ve sworn off driving for the very same reasons, I advise anyone who’s serious about learning the ins-and-outs of emergency communications to take a good look at becoming a licensed Amateur Radio Operator (HAM).

How hard is it to get a Ham Radio License?
In general, radio communications is a pretty complicated subject, one that’s impossible to cover in a single article. That being said, the licensing process itself is actually pretty easy.

Over the last decade, the testing process has been simplified. Some of the past requirements, such as learning Morse code, are no longer required to obtain a license. In my opinion, it’s a shame they’ve dumbed down the testing by removing the Morse code requirement, but I’ll save that rant for another day. What’s important here is that almost anyone, with a little bit of practice, can get their license.

How do I Start?
The Technician class license is the entry-level license of choice for most new ham radio operators. To earn the Technician license, you need to pass a 35 question examination. The test covers basic radio theory, FCC regulations, and basic operating practices. The license allows you to access the very popular 2-meter band.

The cost of the exam is $15. You can find a testing center through the ARRL Website.

To really get the most out of Ham Radio, you should shoot for at least a General Class License. This license will require you to take another 35 questions examination, covering more advanced radio theory, regulations and operating practices. Once you pass the General Exam, you will have access to all VHF/UHF Amateur bands and most HF privileges (10 through 160 meters).

Can you recommend a good starter Radio?
If you’re just starting out and have your Technician class license, you don’t need to spend a whole lot of money to get started. In fact, a Baofeng UV-5R Radio will only set you back about $35, and is a great way to get started. The dual band UV-5R covers the 2-meter band and 70CM ham band (136-174 & 400-480 MHz FM), making it the perfect choice for beginners.

The use of 1000 watts is misleading. On certain freq's yes, on other no. I would think a 2 meter radio would be the handiest sonce it has built in ability to hit repeaters and make phone calls

Thanks for this. I like the recommendation of the starter radio, but am wondering what would be recommended for a mounted radio in the Jeep. Any suggestions?

Reactions: Zorba
I'm studying for my Technician ticket right now. I know the electronics cold as that's my profession, but some of the "ham culture" type questions, as well as procedural questions take some study. There's a *HUGE* emphasis on ham radio connected computers which was a bit surprising and not really why I'm interested, but whatever. That could change.

Thanks for this. I like the recommendation of the starter radio, but am wondering what would be recommended for a mounted radio in the Jeep. Any suggestions?
This. There's a couple of low cost choices on the Warrior Women site, but dunno if they're worth a damn or not.

This. There's a couple of low cost choices on the Warrior Women site, but dunno if they're worth a damn or not.

I like Yaesu, but any decent brand would do (Kenwood, Icom, many others). For the most part you really only need a good 2 Meter radio. Though around here, people get the cheap Baofeng listed above and end up talking on the GMRS frequencies which you can't do on a 2M, and can't do legally on a dual band. Many of the dual band radios can be modded to talk on the GMRS frequencies if needed. The misconception is that you don't need a license for GMRS (you do). It all depends on who your talking to.

Like Jeeps, you get what you pay for. Buy a $20 Baofeng and get what you pay for.

If you get a better radio, it will have multiple power settings. My Yaesu has 4 power settings. The power controls how far you can transmit for the most part. The antenna and your environment control your reception. Most areas with mountains will have some repeaters on top of the mountains. So if you're in the middle of nowhere, you can usually hit a repeater.

Whatever radio you get, if it works with Chirp, you can buy the programming cable. Then you can install Chirp (free) and easily add all the repeaters in your area. https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

Reactions: SSTJ and Zorba
I'm inclined to go with either Yaesu or Icom, but they're both pricey! But yea, you get what you pay for. I already have a GMRS rig and a CB in the Jeep. And yea, I have FCC-issued call signs for both!

I like Yaesu, but I've never had anything else. I had a 2980 which worked well. Only got rid of it because I wanted dual band and got one for free.

I didn't know you could get an CB call sign.

I like Yaesu, but any decent brand would do (Kenwood, Icom, many others). For the most part you really only need a good 2 Meter radio. Though around here, people get the cheap Baofeng listed above and end up talking on the GMRS frequencies which you can't do on a 2M, and can't do legally on a dual band. Many of the dual band radios can be modded to talk on the GMRS frequencies if needed. The misconception is that you don't need a license for GMRS (you do). It all depends on who your talking to.
Thanks for this. I'm new at radios, so help me out ... do you mean that a dual band radio can be modded to cover not only Ham frequencies but also GMRS frequencies? I'd like that, but want to be sure I'm hearing you right.

If I had both my Ham license and my GMRS license, is that legal to do?

Thanks for this. I'm new at radios, so help me out ... do you mean that a dual band radio can be modded to cover not only Ham frequencies but also GMRS frequencies? I'd like that, but want to be sure I'm hearing you right.

If I had both my Ham license and my GMRS license, is that legal to do?

Most can be modded to do GMRS. Google the radio you are considering and make sure you can do it (if you want to). For example, my Yaesu FT-8800, google 'MARS CAP MOD'. The radio is capable of GMRS, but due to FCC regulations, you can only ship a radio that is setup for one legal function. So they put a capacitor that limits the frequencies you can dial in. Got a friend with a soddering iron? You can remove that capacitor.

Is it legal: No. Will you get thrown in a federal prison for it? Also no... For the most part, it is frowned upon by people wearing pocket protectors, but I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble.

That is why the Baofeng can do dual band (2M and 70 CM) and GMRS. China doesn't adhere to our FCC rules. So they ship their radios capable of dialing in a GMRS frequency.

Doing GMRS on a ham radio will work, but it's described as going 50mph in a 65mph zone since you're better off just using a 2M or 70CM frequency.

Reactions: SSTJ
Has anyone ever used a Midland Ham radio? I think they're better known for their GMRS devices, but this one caught my eye.

At quick glance, I was wondering why the highest power setting is 25 watts. Found this comment on that:

https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/midland-dbr2500-dual-band-amateur-two-way-radio.391571/

25 watts is ok for those living in populated areas with not too distant repeaters, but better brands run at least 45 or 50 watts, and Icom has a model that does 75. For storm spotting, weather conditions can cause range problems and a 50 watt radio is the best choice. The car electrical system can handle it if wired correctly.

Not an issue if you're talking to a guy in a Jeep on the same trail as you. Only an issue if that guy is in another city and you're talking over a repeater (maybe).

Last edited:
Reactions: SSTJ
Have a pair of ICOM's . . . . .F320-6 and an F121-S
These are mounted in my Jeep, and Dodge truck.
Have used them for years to call checkpoints on active Resource Roads (RR)
Do not have a licence, have been studying for one, the course starting Jan. 5th was just cancelled - Covid
Following this thread.

Have a pair of ICOM's . . . . .F320-6 and an F121-S
These are mounted in my Jeep, and Dodge truck.
Have used them for years to call checkpoints on active Resource Roads (RR)
Do not have a licence, have been studying for one, the course starting Jan. 5th was just cancelled - Covid
Following this thread.

Don't need to wait for a class. Do the hamstudy.org 'study mode'. It keeps track of how proficient you are. I waited until I was in the low 90's and took the test.

https://hamstudy.org/tech2018

Reactions: Blondie70 and Zorba
the big three radio manufacturers in the ham world are Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu. You can go wrong with anything they provide. Most of the CB manufacturers do do radios for ham bands, but there are some second tier radios from companies like Alinco, and small companies like Elecraft (the Elecraft radios aren't really what people here need). There there are the Chinese manufacturers. My experience with them is generally good, but with less than ideal UI. These are companies like Baofeng and Woxsun (sp?).

The technician license test is pretty easy. Its mostly policy question like if you experience interference from another station, what do you do? The answers mostly have common sense answers like do you confront the offender or do you report him to the FCC? well the obvious answer is report him. Spend a half day reading through the test questions several times (all possible test questions are available ahead of time) and its pretty easy. Technician get you access to a small segment of the HF bands, but mostly it is VHF and UHF. Due to the equipment necessary VHF and UHF are the most useful and appropriate for close range vehicle communications. the 2m band stretches from 144mhz to 148mhz in the US. The other common band is the 70cm band which is 420mhz to 450mhz. If you want lots of options than a dual band 2m/70cm radio makes the most sense. Otherwise 2m is much more common that 70cm.

Technically it is possible to use a lot of ham 70cm radios on the FRS/GMRS bands or to use a 2m radio for the MURS band. However they are technically not legal. MURS and GMRS you are probably ok is you reduce the transmit power on your radio to no more than 5w. That way your signal on the air will be indistinguishable. FRS on the other hand (which shares frequencies with GMRS) is a maximum output of 500mw on a handheld with non removable antenna, and a 50w mobile in your car will not be able to reduce its output that far. In order to user your radio on these non-ham bands, you need to remove the transmit restrictions on most ham radios. It is usually done by removing a zero ohm resistor. Search for your radio's name and "mars/cap mod" (mars=military amateur radio service, cap=civil air patrol).

if you want to jump up a level to a amateur "general" class license, the test is harder and involves more math and electronics. That gets you something like 90% of the bands. The highest license the "extra" class license is very hard (unless you already know all this stuff). I'm still general because the extra doesn't get me anything I care that much about, and I don't need the bragging rights.