HAM Radio FAQ

Well, I passed. Yesterday, I couldn't even spell "Ham", today I are one! Aced the tech exam, and at the VE's suggestion, I tried the General as well. Much to my amazement, I passed it! I certainly didn't ace it, but I passed it.

Wow, that's encouraging. Well done. Now I'll feel like a loser if I don't pass on my first try ...

Then I bought a Retevis RT-95 (Aka Anytone 778UV or CRT Micron) for the jeep ...
From our earlier posts in this thread, I think this is also AKA the Midland DBR2500 mobile, right? What made you choose the Retevis over the Anytone or Midland? Just curious, as I've yet to buy.

From our earlier posts in this thread, I think this is also AKA the Midland DBR2500 mobile, right? What made you choose the Retevis over the Anytone or Midland? Just curious, as I've yet to buy.
Or something called the "CRT Micron". French apparently. Since they're all the same radio by all accounts, price ruled. Got mine for $119 shipped from a U.S. warehouse - and they included the programming cable. The Anytone 778UV is a bit more.

Reactions: SSTJ
Well, I passed. Yesterday, I couldn't even spell "Ham", today I are one! Aced the tech exam, and at the VE's suggestion, I tried the General as well. Much to my amazement, I passed it! I certainly didn't ace it, but I passed it.
How awesome, and you got your General too congrats!! 💪

N6TAY

Reactions: Zorba
Yea, the VE encouraged everybody to try the General, all but 2 did. I don't know how many got the General, I was the first one called who did though. But then I was gone so I don't know what happened afterwards.
Congrats! You should have gone for extra.

Congrats! You should have gone for extra.
Wouldn't have happened. I barely passed General. The VE did relate a story of a guy that came in for a Tech test, and aced it like I did. He wasn't planning on anything further, but was reluctantly talked into trying the General. He aced that. The VE told him "If you don't take the Extra exam, somebody needs to hit you upside the head!". So he did - and ACED THAT TOO! I wasn't in the same class at all!!

Reactions: Blondie70
Or something called the "CRT Micron". French apparently. Since they're all the same radio by all accounts, price ruled. Got mine for $119 shipped from a U.S. warehouse - and they included the programming cable. The Anytone 778UV is a bit more.
Hey again. I might pull the trigger on this one in a week or so. Are you enjoying it so far? Not too hard to program, etc?

Also, if I get my GMRS license, I'd enjoy using the same radio for both. Does Retevis let you transmit on those frequencies, like I think the Anytone does?

Hey again. I might pull the trigger on this one in a week or so. Are you enjoying it so far? Not too hard to program, etc?

Also, if I get my GMRS license, I'd enjoy using the same radio for both. Does Retevis let you transmit on those frequencies, like I think the Anytone does?
I'm still installing it - but a program called "Chirp" will program it. Technically, its illegal to transmit GMRS on a ham rig. Stupid, I know...

I'm still installing it - but a program called "Chirp" will program it. Technically, its illegal to transmit GMRS on a ham rig. Stupid, I know...
Whoa, I thought it was just illegal to transmit without one's license. So there are no legal radios that allow you to transmit on Ham and GMRS/FRS? I think someone pointed that out to me earlier in the thread, but I thought they were talking about a license issue ... Great, now I have an ethical dilemma.