HAM Radios in TJs

Any hams out there? Looking for suggestions on mounting HF mobile units and antennas in the rather limited space the TJ has available.
Lynn, KG7KMC
A great mount for even a fairly heavy mobile rig is made by Arizona Rocky Road, it mounts without drilling any holes using the hole in the rollbar located over the front windows. It also hides the wiring inside since it is made from a rectangular steel tube, and it's strong enough to support multiple radios. http://www.arizonarockyroad.com/radiomounts.html

This is my setup, the 2m rig on top is a Yaesu FT-2900R and hung underneath it is a Uniden Pro520XL CB. And though they weren't mounted yet when I took the photo, the mics are held by a spring-loaded automatic mic retriever (like truckers use) so you don't have to replace the mic back into the clip each time after use.

CIMG3873.JPG

For the antennas, you can use a tail light mount or weld a tab onto a spare tire carrier if you have one as I did. Just make sure the tab is well grounded and that the antenna mount is properly grounded to it in the right location.

The first mount is for my CB antenna, I welded a tab to the spare tire carrier latch bracket.

CBAntennaMount.jpg

This shows my 2m Hustler SF-2 2m 5/8 wave antenna mount which was also just a tab welded to the spare tire carrier. The SF-2 antenna is pretty long for trail use as it sways around a lot so I usually just screw in a short Workman DB-1 antenna which is only maybe 15" tall which works better than expected.

IMAG0078.jpg

Reactions: Chris
A great mount for even a fairly heavy mobile rig is made by Arizona Rocky Road, it mounts without drilling any holes using the hole in the rollbar located over the front windows. It also hides the wiring inside since it is made from a rectangular steel tube, and it's strong enough to support multiple radios. http://www.arizonarockyroad.com/radiomounts.html

This is my setup, the 2m rig on top is a Yaesu FT-2900R and hung underneath it is a Uniden Pro520XL CB. And though they weren't mounted yet when I took the photo, the mics are held by a spring-loaded automatic mic retriever (like truckers use) so you don't have to replace the mic back into the clip each time after use.

View attachment 5902

For the antennas, you can use a tail light mount or weld a tab onto a spare tire carrier if you have one as I did. Just make sure the tab is well grounded and that the antenna mount is properly grounded to it in the right location.

The first mount is for my CB antenna, I welded a tab to the spare tire carrier latch bracket.

View attachment 5903

This shows my 2m Hustler SF-2 2m 5/8 wave antenna mount which was also just a tab welded to the spare tire carrier. The SF-2 antenna is pretty long for trail use as it sways around a lot so I usually just screw in a short Workman DB-1 antenna which is only maybe 15" tall which works better than expected.

View attachment 5904
Like that decal to the left of the CB antenna!

Like that decal to the left of the CB antenna!
Thanks, and of course you & I both fly that decal... small, subtle, but full of meaning to those who know what it is. I just need a replacement 'I'll piss on Jane Fonda's grave' bumper sticker Iike I had on my previous TJ to complete things. :D

Last edited:
I have an overhead console that runs from the windshield footman holes back to the roll bar. The base for my Icom 7000 is suspended from the console, at the rear, just in front of the roll bar. The console is about 3/4" thick, and has a clamshell top where I routed the wiring. The IC7000 control head is mounted at the front of the console just above the mirror. And is on a swivel bracket for operation from either seat. The console also holds a control for the screwdriver HF antenna and an extra loudspeaker connected to a CB radio. (Not all off road is 2 meter). CB radio is an all in one handheld Cobra. Driver side antenna is the lil' Tarheel screwdriver and the passenger side is a dual band 2m/70cm Comet. Both antennas are on taillight mounts. Sharp star washers under each bolt between the sheet metal and the antenna mount seems to make contact. But take one off after you mount it and make sure it was through the paint. Else you will need to remove some paint. I also needed to ground strap the console to the roll bar, and strapped the roll bar to the frame for good measure. W6EVO

Reactions: Chris
I did a similar stacked setup on that clamp as well. 2m under a CB. Its a lot of gear in my line of sight and I I ended up just trimming down to the cb. (I'm 6'6" so I look out the top of the windshield.).

I'm considering the left side Mount that uses the body screws just inside the door. Anyone used that?

KB1FWR

geek. berlin, ma. 2000 TJ. http://planet-geek.com

Fantastic thread. Thanks for the post. I'm considering mounting a Kenwood TM-D710GA control head above the fan louvers. I've mounted a similar control head for another iCOM VHF/UHF radio in another car--main body under passenger seat, control head on the dash using sturdy velcro. Then again, that's a fairly small control head--about 1"x5.5". I'd think that I'd need a mounting that is fairly visible since I'd need to glance at an APRS display every so often. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I've tried vent mounts in various vehicles. I would rank them somewhere near the bottom of the list of potential solutions. They never seem to work out as well as one hopes.

I have a Kenwood TM-281A 2 meter ham radio and Uniden CB mounted to an Arizona Rocky Road overhead mount. I recommend it.

I am currently collecting parts and materials as best I can during the Covid-19 shutdown to fabricate a Garmin navigator mount for the top of the dash. It is basically a small 18 ga. plate with a bend for attachment points that use the same fasteners as the center dash bezel. You could use something like this to mount a head unit. See this thread for an idea of what I'm referring to - my mount will be shaped differently but the concept this the same:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/no-drill-no-cut-ram-cell-phone-mount-bracket.26473/

Panavise makes an AMPS pattern mount that would place your head unit to the right of your AM/FM radio. I intend to use one of these to mount my Garmin inReach Explorer+. For your '01 with manual transmission you would want P/N 75122-301.

https://www.panavise.com/pdf_indash/75122-301.pdf
Ironically, I have a P/N 75122-301 bracket new in a box waiting to be returned to Panavise. It was mis-packaged in a box labeled for the 03-06 with auto trans, which is what I needed. It is a well made bracket and should be a simple install when Panavise is able to ship the correct part sometime in the next two weeks (their workers are subject to the shut down as well, only a skeleton crew is working). If you want the part that I am waiting to return let me know and we can work something out.

I have VHF/UHF and CB radios mounted overhead on a homemade mount similar to the Arizona Rocky Road. I have an HF/6M radio mounted on top of the panel. The Garmin tracker is on the right of the panel and a CO detector on the left.

5EC892B2-F9C6-4E6E-A8F4-6D93CAEF9D72.jpeg

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
It is the standard Garmin mount. I fabricated a mounting plate to go behind it. There is just enough room to clear the radio on the left and the airbag to the right. The Garmin mount is expensive (something like $35) but it works very well and supplies power to the tracker from any USB source.

BTW that Panavise bracket you note above looks like it would interfere with airbag deployment. Not good.

7840C3A3-6EC7-4728-8E70-9B3F3FA4BA92.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m installing a Yaesu FTM-400xdr today along with a Larsen NMO2/70SH. I plan is to mount the antenna to the lower windshield mount on the left side in a small bracket I made out of stainless steel and the main unit behind the dash panel below the steering wheel and the removable head unit / touchscreen on a RAM mount ball attached to the across the windshield bar of my roll bar. It may take me a few days depending on my back but I’ll post picks when it’s done.

It is the standard Garmin mount. I fabricated a mounting plate to go behind it. There is just enough room to clear the radio on the left and the airbag to the right. The Garmin mount is expensive (something like $35) but it works very well and supplies power to the tracker from any USB source.

BTW that Panavise bracket you note above looks like it would interfere with airbag deployment. Not good.

View attachment 149146

Thanks. I already have a Garmin P/N 010-12525-00 Powered Mount, currently in my Xterra. I'm thinking about buying a second one for my LJ so I can more easily switch the Garmin inReach Explorer+ between vehicles and keep it charged. Current price is $27.42 on Amazon Prime.

The Panavise P/N 75122-303 that fits the 03-06 TJ with Automatic Transmission definitely does not block the passenger side air bag. That's why I like it (in addition to not having to drill into the dash). The model for all earlier TJ's and later TJ's with manual transmissions (P/N 75122-301) is angled differently, but even though it looks like it might interfere with deployment of the passenger air bag in the installation photo, the Panavise rep assures me that it does not.

Do you have any photos of the mounting plate you fabricated?

Last edited:
Do you have any photos of the mounting plate you fabricated?

Unfortunately no, but it is the same size and shape as the mounting surface of the garmin mount. I shimmed it so the mount faces forward on the slightly angled front surface of Jeep’s bezel.

Drilled into the dash to mount it?

The Panavise product is expensive, but nothing could be easier than removing the center bezel, bolting it in, then replacing the bezel. It has the same AMPS hole pattern as the Garmin powered mount.

However, I'm always up for saving $30 and going with a well thought out DIY plan.

Drilled into the dash to mount it?

Yes. The two left holes in the Garmin mount have screws through the mount and bezel. There are two more screws to the right of that just in the mounting plate through the bezel that are flush. And finally, there are two screws in the right most holes of the Garmin mount through just the mounting plate. There are fender washers on the four screws that go through the bezel and nylon locking nuts on all. It is extremely secure and does not vibrate or move around at all.

Reactions: Mr. Bills
Thanks, and of course you & I both fly that decal... small, subtle, but full of meaning to those who know what it is. I just need a replacement 'I'll piss on Jane Fonda's grave' bumper sticker Iike I had on my previous TJ to complete things. :D

Thank you for your NAM service Jerry I appreciate you / well done soldier !!!
1585520833093.png

1585520699927.png

1585520993076.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford