HAM Radios in TJs

I've tried vent mounts in various vehicles. I would rank them somewhere near the bottom of the list of potential solutions. They never seem to work out as well as one hopes.

I have a Kenwood TM-281A 2 meter ham radio and Uniden CB mounted to an Arizona Rocky Road overhead mount. I recommend it.

I am currently collecting parts and materials as best I can during the Covid-19 shutdown to fabricate a Garmin navigator mount for the top of the dash. It is basically a small 18 ga. plate with a bend for attachment points that use the same fasteners as the center dash bezel. You could use something like this to mount a head unit. See this thread for an idea of what I'm referring to - my mount will be shaped differently but the concept this the same:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/no-drill-no-cut-ram-cell-phone-mount-bracket.26473/

Panavise makes an AMPS pattern mount that would place your head unit to the right of your AM/FM radio. I intend to use one of these to mount my Garmin inReach Explorer+. For your '01 with manual transmission you would want P/N 75122-301.

https://www.panavise.com/pdf_indash/75122-301.pdf
Ironically, I have a P/N 75122-301 bracket new in a box waiting to be returned to Panavise. It was mis-packaged in a box labeled for the 03-06 with auto trans, which is what I needed. It is a well made bracket and should be a simple install when Panavise is able to ship the correct part sometime in the next two weeks (their workers are subject to the shut down as well, only a skeleton crew is working). If you want the part that I am waiting to return let me know and we can work something out.

Mr. Bill,

Really appreciate your post! That Panavise seems to be the ticket. Your call on how you want to transact--I can PayPal, Apple Pay, or Venmo you the cost plus shipping. I think we could do a little better than the $15.54 Panavise is quoting on the shipping!

Jack

Hi Jerry,

What is the mount on your iCOM HF rig?

Jack

Actually it is Jim here.

It is actually a Yaesu FT-891. I just used their standard mount and modified it slightly to fit in the tray on top of the Jeep’s bezel. I reinforced the tray somewhat because the radio is fairly heavy. It has worked well so far. I previously had the radio remotely mounted in the back of the Jeep with the control panel mounted at the very bottom of the bezel. I like the present configuration much better.

Mr. Bill,

Really appreciate your post! That Panavise seems to be the ticket. Your call on how you want to transact--I can PayPal, Apple Pay, or Venmo you the cost plus shipping. I think we could do a little better than the $15.54 Panavise is quoting on the shipping!

Jack

Let's wait until I confirm how Panavise wants to handle the transaction. They offered a free return shipping label for the incorrectly shipped bracket when the correct bracket is shipped to me, but if you want the early TJ bracket I see no reason why I can't just pass it along to you for what I paid plus shipping from me to you (which will be about 1/2 what Panavise charges for S&H if you purchase a bracket directly from them).

I'll send you a private message when I speak with them.

Actually it is Jim here.

It is actually a Yaesu FT-891. I just used their standard mount and modified it slightly to fit in the tray on top of the Jeep’s bezel. I reinforced the tray somewhat because the radio is fairly heavy. It has worked well so far. I previously had the radio remotely mounted in the back of the Jeep with the control panel mounted at the very bottom of the bezel. I like the present configuration much better.
Sri, Jim! Thanks for the correction. Also thinking of mounting my IC-7000 and your Yaesu looked similar from a distance. [I put the IC-7000 away since getting my Elecraft KX3 for SOTA use. It does fine in my shack as well as portable, so I figure that I ought to do something with that rig!]

I'll have to check my boxes for the original mount. I've had the rig about 10-15 years and have made multiple moves since purchasing. Retired from the Army after 28 yrs of service, so moving is what I know!

Jack

Let's wait until I confirm how Panavise wants to handle the transaction. They offered a free return shipping label for the incorrectly shipped bracket when the correct bracket is shipped to me, but if you want the early TJ bracket I see no reason why I can't just pass it along to you for what I paid plus shipping from me to you (which will be about 1/2 what Panavise charges for S&H if you purchase a bracket directly from them).

I'll send you a private message when I speak with them.
Sounds good.

What is the need for the CO detector?

We had a bad CO experience. My wife got very sick while on a trip in the Jeep. I happened to be reading a book with information about CO poisoning and I recognized the symptoms. I got the CO detector and it indicated very high CO levels, primarily on the passenger side. I pressurized the exhaust system and found two major leaks, one at the input to the rear CAT directly under the passenger seat and one more or less in the center between the input and output CATs. These were at clamped slip joints in the Banks turbo system. I had those welded up along with the drain hole in the muffler.

I previously posted this information here to warn other Banks Turbo owners about this. No matter how tight those clamps are and how good those joints appear to be you are likely to have leaks. Weld them up! The CO detector I have is very sensitive and very fast. It will go off if you slowly backup into your exhaust, particularly in the garage, or you sit idling with no breeze. I like it that way.

Last edited:
I have VHF/UHF and CB radios mounted overhead on a homemade mount similar to the Arizona Rocky Road. I have an HF/6M radio mounted on top of the panel. The Garmin tracker is on the right of the panel and a CO detector on the left.

View attachment 149133
Off subject.... is that a factory review mirror? If not what make, year and model? I have one afriend gave me but it has the computer options on it. I want just oat and direction. Thank you

Mr. Bill,

Jack

@jack.haefner

My new-in-box Panavise Cell Phone & Media Mount P/N 75122-301 for 1999-2002 TJ's is now available for immediate shipping.

I've sent you a private message with the particulars.

Here is the product listing: https://www.panavise.com/index.html
Here are the instructions: https://www.panavise.com/pdf_indash/75122-301.pdf

IMG_4794.jpg

Here it is installed. Super mount. Makes the control head very accessible. I'll mount my external speaker below the radio.

Last edited: