Ham radio repeater for Jeep talk?

mcarthey

Just getting into ham radio as I just received by Technician license and I've been digging around looking for "Jeep talk" :sneaky:
Anyone know of a repeater that's widely available for topics like this? Our club is trying to set up something but just uses the National Simplex when riding. Otherwise I haven't been able to find anything like a Net that's scheduled.
Just looking to extend my "Jeep" content. Thanks!

Mark
KD9SYM

Reactions: Elliott
Just getting into ham radio as I just received by Technician license and I've been digging around looking for "Jeep talk" :sneaky:
Anyone know of a repeater that's widely available for topics like this? Our club is trying to set up something but just uses the National Simplex when riding. Otherwise I haven't been able to find anything like a Net that's scheduled.

Mark
KD9SYM
I google some of the ones in my area i dont talk on them cause im not Licensed ;) but i listen they are not vehicle specific.

Sconnie? Me too. Wisconsin is a good place for Ham radio in general.

Around here in SoCal, a lot of the Jeep clubs use 2m simplex for trail comms, but I haven't heard of any group using a repeater.

I make a point of testing communication with repeaters while I'm in the field as good practice for emergencies. I've caught a few ARES nets and there are a few repeaters where people just chew the fat. But I haven't run across any Jeep talk on repeaters. The best I've been able to find is a general outdoor activity net on the PAPA System.

Seems like it would be a good crossover, since the two communities have a lot in common. But a lot of the Jeepers are using Ham frequencies without a license, barely know how to use simplex, and don't know anything about repeaters.

W6HCF

Reactions: Jeffseven777
I think ppl mostly get the hams to look cool and when it hits the fan they dont know how or what freq to use. I have a 27mile range portable so the freqs are preset but i keep a list of them. Then i look up the freqs in the area im traveling to so if i get stuck i can call for help. This has happen only 1 time in Colorado up near Pikes Peak no cell phones and was able to pick up park rangers to call for 2 wreckers. Alot of peoples plans look good on paper.

I like the idea. I suppose it's going to depend on your area. Around here in SC, I haven't found any repeaters with a Jeep-specific theme. I don't even know many Jeepers who use Ham at all, just CB and now GMRS (but that's for another thread).

But if anyone finds a Jeep-specific Ham club, and if that club's repeater is set up for Echolink, then other Hams around the country could join easily. That'd be fun to know about.

Edit: PS, maybe your club should be the one to set it up!

Reactions: Wheeler
There's almost zero activity of any kind around here on 2M or 70cm. A couple of nets I've joined once or twice - conveniently timed for when I'm in a dance class so I can't join very often. Otherwise, the local repeaters are quiet, its had to even get a response when calling on them. Simplex? Fuhgetaboutit...

Obviously, I need a 10m rig...

Great idea but as you might expect repeaters are expensive and require maintenance. You may be able to set up a Net on your local repeater but having a dedicated repeater is going to be hard. Using a repeater when you are on a trail ride would tie up the repeater. Proper etiquette if you are using a repeater is to give a pause every 10 minutes or so for other users or emergencies. It’s best to stay simplex for trail rides.

Mark
KD9SYM
Repeater book has a lot of resources across the country. Ask around your local shops about which repeaters are used by Wheelers, you may have to play nice and deal with the mile overlanders too. LOL