Hand throttle idea

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
I was looking for an idea for a hand throttle , and found one by Buyers Products called a Vernier throttle ..you can pull it in and out , it locks in position and has a quick release button , and the cool part is you can turn it left it right to fine tune rpm also.

This is the same concept as a very small aircraft throttle without the cost.,like McFarlane sells.

Let me know what you think, couldn't attach a link.

Last edited:
I was looking for an idea for a hand throttle , and found one by Buyers Products called a Vernier throttle ..you can pull it in and out , it locks in position and has a quick release button , and the cool part is you can turn it left it right to fine tune rpm also.

This is the same concept as an aircraft throttle without the cost.

Let me know what you think, couldn't attach a link.
What do you mean by an aircraft throttle?

This is one I am most familiar with.

Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 9.50.35 PM.png

Reactions: qslim
Aircraft throttles rule! Here's the one I play with sometimes, think about all the options!

After a recent outing I am set on a hand throttle. The only ones I have heard of are the Teraflex model that many people copy with parts from a bike store. I'd like to know if there is a better option.

My apologies for no link , these are simple , almost small engine type .

They pull out , you twist to lock , and you can dial it up or down ...that and the gear shift attachment seems to make a perfect combo.

After a recent outing I am set on a hand throttle. The only ones I have heard of are the Teraflex model that many people copy with parts from a bike store. I'd like to know if there is a better option.
If you can find the video of the guy putting one in front JB Custom Fab ,I think you will throw rocks at Teraflex.

One thing these are going to be great for is winch work ...bump up the idle and pull.

Reactions: TJ Starting
It's on you tube .

20:09 seconds

Title is

Throttle Control!

The first few minutes tells the story.

My apologies for no link , these are simple , almost small engine type .

They pull out , you twist to lock , and you can dial it up or down ...that and the gear shift attachment seems to make a perfect combo.
Useful for stationary use like raising the rpms for more alternator amps etc. but it wouldn't be a good choice for use on a difficult offroad trail. A spring loaded hand lever like a bicycle shifter is what you want for better/smoother/more controlled throttle control while on the move in 4Lo on a bumpy technical trail. Which can also be used to raise and hold the rpms in stationary situations too.

Useful for stationary use like raising the rpms for more alternator amps etc. but it wouldn't be a good choice for use on a difficult offroad trail. A spring loaded hand lever like a bicycle shifter is what you want for better/smoother/more controlled throttle control while on the move in 4Lo on a bumpy technical trail. Which can also be used to raise and hold the rpms in stationary situations too.
Got ya . I was under the impression that these were indexed and set at certain positions, sounds like they need to be active like an ATV thumb throttle.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
This one?

Useless for offroad use while driving.

If you want a hand throttle usable to provide you with steady throttle control for better control while on a tough/bumpy trail this what you want.

The first photo is of my first TJ's manual shifter, the other is on the same TJ's automatic shifter after the conversion. This location allows the hand to rest on the shift knob to keep it steady while controlling the throttle.

An improperly positioned foot bouncing on the gas pedal while on a bumpy trail can cause shock loading and broken drivetrain components.

Shiftknob.jpg
CIMG2482.JPG

Useless for offroad use while driving.

If you want a hand throttle usable to provide you with a steady throttle for better control while on a tough/bumpy trail this what you want.

The first photo is of my first TJ's manual shifter, the other is on the same TJ automatic's shifter after the conversion. This location allows the hand to rest on the shift knob to keep it steady while controlling the throttle.

An improperly positioned foot bouncing on the gas pedal while on a bumpy trail can cause shock loading and broken drivetrain components.

View attachment 104834View attachment 104835
Thanks Jerry, I saw the one you have also, I was just asking the OP if that was the throttle he was referring to.. I have used a bicycle shifter in the past and loved it...

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I'm using the terraflex one. It'd be cheaper to build your own but I had a little cash burning a hole in my pocket. Easy to use and very functional for reasons already listed

20190510_171858_IMG_4959.JPG

Reactions: reddvltj
I have the Teraflex cable and it has really saved my bacon a few times. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again if I started over from scratch.

I'm using the terraflex one. It'd be cheaper to build your own but I had a little cash burning a hole in my pocket. Easy to use and very functional for reasons already listed

View attachment 104846
How did you secure the other end of the cable to the throttle lever bracket? My two lever kits came from Rubicon Express and their cable mounting bracket design was great. They no longer make them and I haven't seen a similarly useful mounting bracket from anyone else.