Harbor Freight atv rack

Rob5589

Certified video trained differential rebuilder
Supporting Member
I needed some extra storage for this weekend having the whole fam (4) along. So I picked up this rack at HF for 50.00. It is designated for atv's and a 300 lb capacity but figured it would work for a small ice chest and couple other small things. I also read in the reviews that it worked great on a Jeep due to the angled mount.
th_G41nrvjPZGtjpgJUN192ThtUCAj9Q72XWNsq9PmH_PL_YXy_IwJTMvhR9s68ZQ2Q0tuNZcO22vj6SrP=w1135-h638-no.jpg

Like any rack it wobbled up and down and side to side. So I pushed it into the receiver as far as it would go, marked the hole, and drilled a new one. I used a UniBit to make the hole exactly 5/8" same as the pin. Slide it in and needed to file down the weld point on the rack a tiny bit on each side and bam, pin just slides in nice and tight with no side to side movement.
TGR1u-q8w_TgyRc44W_LxAY7ykrvGRBIVgOfok-rRmxsqdxfsKe48sQIlkpVgluFzP6M1nSOsSkoPXiaFd1=w359-h638-no.jpg

Next to get rid of the up and down play I drilled and tapped to receiver. I tried a diy bracket set up I found online but it wouldn't work with the welded support ring on the receiver. It was pretty simple and stops the up and down banging while on the trail. We dig some easy trail running today with no clanking around and scraping of the rack.
NA1Uwv7VUVAyKzaKouAMALHY20RSrGQWWrTv6DnHRXIVBpu0L99ymVeF68TYrmSiQpBfXEyhK_4r98WAz7=w1135-h638-no.jpg

I have one that looks very similar to this that I bought at Princess Auto (Canadian HF). I haven't used it on the TJ yet (drawbar stuck in hitch, new hitch ordered), so I'm wondering if you can still open the rear door up with it in?

No, I could not open door. It opens about 3" with the tire, didn't try it without but I doubt it would clear.