Had anyone used this Harbor Freight recovery strap before?

Reactions: NOLAJeep
You really should consider a kinetic, they are much better for almost anything.
I wouldn't use it but the Harbor Fright strap is a kinetic strap: "This purpose-built recovery strap allows 20% stretch for easier vehicle recovery".

I wouldn't use it but the Harbor Fright strap is a kinetic strap: "This purpose-built recovery strap allows 20% stretch for easier vehicle recovery".

no stretch advertised on the Haul Master
The description posted by the op said recovery I wasn't aware stretch was a desirable trait for a tow line.

In my experience the webbing style flat straps have very little give compared to a rope. TRE sells nylon double braid, I think that's what bubba ropes are too. Personally I've used both and you want allot of stretch, it makes things so much easier. It's also one of those things you don't want too high a weight rating or you don't get as much stretch. As I see it the only reason to get a strap that doesn't stretch is if you are using a winch. Tow line with low stretch line is kinda like using a chain, it sucks or at least that's been my experience.

The description posted by the op said recovery I wasn't aware stretch was a desirable trait for a tow line.
we've got wires crossed 😆

The OP mentioned strap is kinetic. The "3"x30ft, 9000# for 1/2 that cost" Haul Master is a non-kinetic tow strap.

Reactions: NOLAJeep
Plz look at that link and description then explain the difference,
The ability to stretch? Is there a need for stretch?
Yes the ability to stretch.
Yes there is a need for stretch.

A tow strap is harsh with no give. Slack must be taken up slowly and the extraction will most likely be jarring (see videos of bumpers being yanked off) If it’s a relatively easy extraction a tow strap will work.

If it’s a vehicle that’s really stuck then a snatch strap allows you to get a little momentum and aggressively yank the vehicle out without transferring all that energy at once. This saves you attachment points and neck. Some of that energy is stored in the stretchy strap and is transferred more slowly.

Snatch strap recoveries are much smoother with less strain on the vehicles and drivers.

I’ve used both, snatch strap/kinetic ropes are far superior to regular tow straps. Tow straps are for towing not recoveries.

Reactions: someguysjeep