Hard shifting problem with NV3550 manual transmission

Reidminer

TJ Enthusiast
Hi everyone. So to start, I have an 01 wrangler, manual with the 5 speed 4.0, lifted 4in, with 35’s, still running stock gears unfortunately, 108xxx miles. So about 3 days ago I noticed my Jeep starting to hard shift, hadn’t ever done that before. In the past three days, inconsistently, shifting into first is really hard, requiring some finagling to get it to go in, and shift from either 1st or 3rd, to 2nd gear it feels as though the clutch isn’t fully disengaging, sounding like it’s skipping and not catching the gear. 3rd, 4th, & 5th all work great, all the time. But 1st and 2nd are what I’m having trouble with.
I’ve read on other similar threads that it could be the synchro gears, the slave cylinder, or just low on clutch fluid. I tried the clutch fluid and while it helped slightly, the problem is still there. So I’m wondering, what should my course of action be? What parts would I most likely need, and what am I potentially looking at in price here?

What does the trans fluid look like? Is it the right stuff? Colder weather can make a trans shift harder. Even when warmed up. I have an 06 with the 6 speed. Hardball fluids replaced when I bought it. But it shifted like crap. Very hard to find 6th and reverse. Finally switched to Redline after hemming and hawing about the price. Made a world of difference! Every shift is now firm and precise. Quite amazing the brand of fluid could do so much. So I'd give that a try. Cheaper than other options.

Check the transmission fluid. If it's not that, I suspect it's a synchro issue, in which case you'll have to have it rebuild that.

Not sure what the trans fluid looks like, how would I go about doing that? I just recently bought this Jeep as I totaled my previous Jeep about 2 months ago so I haven’t ever looked at the trans fluid. I’ve been seeing redline mentioned in some other threads, what makes it better than the other options?

Also, to Chris, I’ve read some other threads mentioning that this issue could be the synchros, what exactly do those do? I’ve also heard that it could be the slave cylinder?

I’ve had those same issues recently. I changed the master slave and cylinder and I have Redline MTL fluid on my shelf waiting to be changed in the next few days. My mechanic didn’t think it was the synchros as he said there would be grinding when shifting. I honestly think it happened when I did a TC drop. I think it screwed up the shifter. But since I’ve dropped the TC drop and installed a SYE. I’m still keeping an eye on it but I haven’t really driven it since removing the drop. Hoping the Redline just further helps any issues.

Not sure what the trans fluid looks like, how would I go about doing that? I just recently bought this Jeep as I totaled my previous Jeep about 2 months ago so I haven’t ever looked at the trans fluid. I’ve been seeing redline mentioned in some other threads, what makes it better than the other options?

Also, to Chris, I’ve read some other threads mentioning that this issue could be the synchros, what exactly do those do? I’ve also heard that it could be the slave cylinder?
Here's a pic showing the location of the fill plug and the drain plug from the drivers side in front of the skid pan.
You can check the fluid level at the fill plug for level and to see how clean/dirty it looks. (Disclaimer; this particular photo is not of a TJ but the trans is identical)
tranny04.jpg

As for the synchros (I'll link the site I got this pic from)
1574030965694.png

https://www.ericthecarguy.com/kunen.../44594-synchro-rings-in-a-manual-transmission

Wo
Here's a pic showing the location of the fill plug and the drain plug from the drivers side in front of the skid pan.
You can check the fluid level at the fill plug for level and to see how clean/dirty it looks. (Disclaimer; this particular photo is not of a TJ but the trans is identical)
View attachment 125375

As for the synchros (I'll link the site I got this pic from)
View attachment 125376
https://www.ericthecarguy.com/kunen.../44594-synchro-rings-in-a-manual-transmission
wow thank you so much, that’s a huge help! I do well with pictures/diagrams lol. I’ll be checking it out tomorrow, and will have my mechanic buddy look at it as well(he’s got a lifted truck and specializes in trans and harder mechanic jobs so he should have a good eye on this)

Reactions: reddvltj
Yeah
I’ve had those same issues recently. I changed the master slave and cylinder and I have Redline MTL fluid on my shelf waiting to be changed in the next few days. My mechanic didn’t think it was the synchros as he said there would be grinding when shifting. I honestly think it happened when I did a TC drop. I think it screwed up the shifter. But since I’ve dropped the TC drop and installed a SYE. I’m still keeping an eye on it but I haven’t really driven it since removing the drop. Hoping the Redline just further helps any issues.
I’ve only had the grinding feel while shifting into 2nd occasionally. Gonna have my mechanic buddy look at it this week and I’m gonna check the trans fluid, will probably put in redline to start

So my NV3550 has that awful “trans full of marbles” sound that annoys me. Will a higher quality fluid also quite it down?
No, at least that's very likely just the normal sound of its input shaft and bearings spinning. The AX15 does the same thing.
Mine has had that marble sound since the day I bought it (11 years ago) and as suspicious as it sounds, it never seemed to have any ill effect. It's usually loudest right as you're letting the clutch out in 1st/2nd/Reverse just for a moment.. If we're talking about the same thing lol

Reactions: Fonz54
My box of marbles quieted slightly. Very slightly. But the shifting got 200% better. Just from switching to RedLine. And it had already gotten a flush and fill with regular gear oil. I could rarely get into 6th or find reverse. Almost imedeatly after switching to RedLine I could find both easily and all the other gears felt tighter and precise. Just from the oil. I was impressed.

My box of marbles quieted slightly. Very slightly. But the shifting got 200% better. Just from switching to RedLine. And it had already gotten a flush and fill with regular gear oil. I could rarely get into 6th or find reverse. Almost imedeatly after switching to RedLine I could find both easily and all the other gears felt tighter and precise. Just from the oil. I was impressed.
Awesome I’m sold. I’ll be changing real soon. I have the same problems with reverse. See if this fixes it

My nv 3550 only has 46,000 miles, and fresh fluid instantly makes it shift easier. I suspect it gets gummy and where you are, the cold doesn't help. Go easy on it in the mornings.