Hard top hoist pulley question

freebo86

TJ Enthusiast
So I’ve had a hard top house for the LJ now for 4 years it was a T type setup and I was lifting it from the center point. It worked well however the top would spin since it was only held at one point.

This year I decided to turn the T into an H basically lift from all 4 corners. Well this evening I am lifting it and it just seems harder than before. Not sure what’s going on but basically I have a pulley at every corner going back to one point that is an eyelet with 2 caribeners that hold 2 pulleys. In each pulley there is 2 aircraft cables passing through for each side it’s lifting. See pictures.

Should my collector point the one that’s right above the winch, where there is the 2 pulleys, be somehow setup differently that would be more efficient?

DCA7F2CB-D972-4A2F-B2E0-881A7831C35D.jpeg09AE7807-C1FC-4C80-9948-21F5ADCAD25D.jpegDCA7F2CB-D972-4A2F-B2E0-881A7831C35D.jpeg09AE7807-C1FC-4C80-9948-21F5ADCAD25D.jpeg

699C05A7-2E5B-49D1-8F75-57A296CECF75.jpeg

75AF7757-D2A2-4E12-9E74-F5CAC53E827A.jpeg

4x the friction. And dragging two lines through a single pulley isn't doing you any favors.

You added more pullieys which added more friction. But you also didn't add any mechanical advantage.

The collection points are likely your largest points of friction. You want one cable per pulley. And you might want to add a couple blocks to create a mechanical advantage.

Reactions: freebo86
You added more pullieys which added more friction. But you also didn't add any mechanical advantage.

The collection points are likely your largest points of friction. You want one cable per pulley. And you might want to add a couple blocks to create a mechanical advantage.

Thanks for the info. So can you explain to me what you mean by the pulley block? I looked it up and got a hook with a pulley as a result? Not sure where that fits in my setup?

Be reeeeeally careful with the carabiners you’ve attached to the pulleys. I considered using them to build a hard top hoist kit until I found out that most of them aren’t rated for lifting weight.

In fact, I was shocked when I found most of the hardware I was looking at wasn’t lift-rated.

Reactions: jjvw
Look up a block and tackle

Now I see what you mean. I had a similar setup the first time around when I did the T setup. I used a hook with pulley that was anchored to the ceiling as well as 2 additional pulleys one at the centres (spare eyelet you see the pictures not being used) and then another pulley where my 2 pulleys are now. Just I wanted to keep costs down as if I’d get 4 of these hooks and this type of setup for the H design it would of been easier to buy one of these top lifting solutions.. fml.

Be reeeeeally careful with the carabiners you’ve attached to the pulleys. I considered using them to build a hard top hoist kit until I found out that most of them aren’t rated for lifting weight.

In fact, I was shocked when I found most of the hardware I was looking at wasn’t lift-rated.

Ya thanks, I’ve used those already previously without issue and just very careful. Maybe I’ll replace the caribeners for quick links?

Alright it’s up. I wanted to try having individual pulleys for every line as jivw recommended well that made a world of difference. Also swapped out all the caribeners for 5/16s quick links.

Top went up without much effort as my previous T design. I was going to add a pulley block to hook onto every corner but that was going to add another $45 to this already over budget design. And I’d have to extend the cable to allow for the pulley block to function as intended.

With my previous design I had 2 straps one at the front and one to the rear for additional support in case something gives so I kept that as well to give it additional support.

6F662D6E-140D-480F-9DB1-8CAEB0108B10.jpeg

image.jpg