Hard Top: Leave As Is Or Paint Black?

Leave Color or Paint Black?

• Total voters
This may not be a consideration but if you ever decide to mount half doors you might have a hard time matching the half tops to your hard top. I changed my hard top from grey to black in large part for this reason.

I didn't like this. It looks much better after I painted it black.

16-10-31 1.JPG

Reactions: mynamesrickgrimes
I would trade your khaki(?) Hard top or sell it. And get black. That color (khaki?) Is hard to find in a hard top. And looks great on many different colors. But is rare. Id think u could get more for it. Than a black one.
Defiantly! That hard top looks nice faded or not! When did a soft-top ever match a body colour???

I would trade your khaki(?) Hard top or sell it. And get black. That color (khaki?) Is hard to find in a hard top. And looks great on many different colors. But is rare. Id think u could get more for it. Than a black one.
That’s a good thought. What do you think a reasonable price for it would be? The glass is mint and I’ve got new struts on the way next week.

That’s a good thought. What do you think a reasonable price for it would be? The glass is mint and I’ve got new struts on the way next week.
You would have to ask Maryland or New England guys. Here in CA it would go for at least a grand. Maybe 1100-1200 depending on how nice it was. But i see quotes of alot less from back east or in the midwest.

I say keep your wheels and paint the hardtop the gunmetal grey color. That should tie it all in... :unsure: ;)

Don’t use penetrol. Try a Magic Eraser first. They really do work magic. If you don’t like that, consider painting black.

6511FCB1-503E-48B0-99DD-1F0F5B7731C3.jpeg

UPDATE: want to thank all of you for your input. As a first step, gave it a thorough power wash, scrub, and applied a couple coats of magic PENETROL!

Take a look at the photos below!

View attachment 254798

View attachment 254800
It looks great. The reason I didn't suggest Penetrol is simply because it will have to be done again. Some say as soon as 6 months. It's a paint re-conditioner. If it wears off, try the Magic Eraser and see if you get longer lasting results. As for now, I think it looks awesome with your rig. I wouldn't change a thing, and I love the black vents on the corners. Very cool.

Thanks all! Appreciate the support and feedback.

@JMT good call... definitely didn't expect it to be a permanent fix, but its a good excuse to down the road to spend some time with the TJ :)

Reactions: JMT
Thanks all! Appreciate the support and feedback.

@JMT good call... definitely didn't expect it to be a permanent fix, but its a good excuse to down the road to spend some time with the TJ :)
Time with the TJ is good therapy for me too! 😀