Hard Top: Leave As Is Or Paint Black?

Leave Color or Paint Black?

• Total voters

mynamesrickgrimes

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Picked up this sweet hard top for my '99 Desert Sand Pearl.

What do you think: leave the color, or paint black? The black might complement the rest of the trim... but everyone has black!

IMG_3209.jpg

hard one, in my eyes you have a hodgepodge of colors that don't have much of harmony together.

If you hadn't pointed out the top and TJ were actually different colors, I'd have thought the top was just a faded one that's supposed to be the same color as the body. Black would alleviate that vibe...and I think it would look sharp with the flares and bumpers. It's your rig though, so the only opinion/preference that really matters is yours; do what you like/want.;)

Reactions: mynamesrickgrimes
All the kewl dudes would paint it the color that a jeep of your color would have been originally.

AKA what color is it supposed to be.

Agreed... bumpers and all trim pieces have been painted using the same color. Black hard top would tie it together I think.

Once again will shit on your hodgepodge of colors, and drop 5c that my eyes see:

^ In that picture, that is what you should be striving for. Not my cup of tea, but i look at it and it is pleasing to my eyes.
I was gonna ask if your fenders were original, because black on your stands out too much.
Id leave your roof as is, or give it a slight shade of sand. Fenders need to blend with the body,

You have a Jeep with very specific theme that needs to be maintained.

Your gun metal color of rims, or linked black pro comps don't fit into this theme either.
Use that photo as a guide.

Find a woman to ask, see what she says. They naturally have an eye for this things.
Best of luck.

Black attracts too much heat, and is too "common"...plus scratches will show through. I'd try penetrol first, then paint it the same color as the body if that doesn't work. You could even paint the roof white or silver to reduce heat load (like an FJ Cruiser)

Yep them rims are way out of whack more than the faded hardtop. Again penetrol it first and show us the results. :) Dont paint it black unless you see a red roof lol

Reactions: Big-Al