Hard top prices

I just bought one from a 2004 TJ in really good shape here in North Carolina for $900.00. From what I have seen on here some parts of the country are a lot more.

I think a $1000 is a good asking price if your top is in decent shape. If it's in great shape ask for another Benjamin or two. If it's in worse shape then drop your price a Benjamin or two.

Reactions: Frank
Depends on where you're at in the country. If you live in a state that sees lots of cold and wet weather, you can easily get $1000 plus. Here in the Pacific Northwest I paid $1200 for my hardtop, which is about the going rate. But again, it rains all the time up here, it's cold, and crappy weather.

If you lived in a warm state like California, my guess is that they don't go for nearly as much down there (because who is going to use it when you have that nice weather?).

Reactions: UpperMI
Depends on where you're at in the country. If you live in a state that sees lots of cold and wet weather, you can easily get $1000 plus. Here in the Pacific Northwest I paid $1200 for my hardtop, which is about the going rate. But again, it rains all the time up here, it's cold, and crappy weather.

If you lived in a warm state like California, my guess is that they don't go for nearly as much down there (because who is going to use it when you have that nice weather?).

For the couple I have looked at here in the Bay Area, I've seen them range in price from $900-$1500 (TJ and LJ). And not that I was looking for a top but a local jeep parts guy occasionally has some in his aresenal of things to sell. So around here they really aren't cheaper.

Reactions: Chris
@Chris , actually they are expensive here. I wanted one until I saw the prices, 1000 and up. So am sticking with a soft top. Plus it is a lighter load for the 2.4.

Reactions: Chris
For the couple I have looked at here in the Bay Area, I've seen them range in price from $900-$1500 (TJ and LJ). And not that I was looking for a top but a local jeep parts guy occasionally has some in his aresenal of things to sell. So around here they really aren't cheaper.

Oh wow! I guess everything is expensive in California.

Reactions: bobthetj03

Not all of California is warm. I would hate my soft top in the winter here, but I'm old and don't tolerate the cold like I did when I was younger.

I know several that have traded their hard top straight across for a soft top here in Alaska. One of those idiots broke the rear window the other day from it being to cold.. I had to say something.

I want one of the G8tops half cabs.

I sold my LJ hardtop in Georgia. Buyer drove down from North Carolina. I priced it to sell at $800. Then bought the Bestop Trektop NX for $750 and had $50 for my pocket.

I did not need the hard top. Winter in Georgia is a joke. I'm in Kentucky now and my soft top held in the heat comfortably well.

I think average price for a good hardtop is around $1,000.

You guys in need of a hard top should plan a vacation in Canada! They go regularly on Kijiji for about $400 to $600 CDN so say $300 to $450 US. My guess is that more of our TJ's came with a hard top and as they are scrapped, parted out, modified for off road only, etc. there is a good supply and that keeps the prices down. You will see asking prices at a $1,000 or so occasionally and the claim may be that they have never been used but honestly, there are plenty of good ones around at very good prices. May be I should start vacationing in the US ... and come back topless! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: JP98