Hard Top Storage

I'm considering buying one of the kits from quadratec for under $200. I am worried about warping the top, though. I like the idea of having it sit on a board instead of being held up via direct contact.

I think that's a good idea. I could see how it would warp over the long term without the board.

Hi guys-bringing this back after two months using the site's type/enter search feature which is nice and brought me here. In a few weeks I will be trying out my soft top for the first time but will need a long term storage for my hard top. When I had it off on occasion for the first year I owned the Jeep I fashioned what you guys have pictured here but ran my straps all the way from door opening to opened rear window. Now moving ahead to storing my hard top for a few months, to make room in my garage, I should be fine setting the top on say, 2x6's on the ground, seems it should not be any different than the top sitting on the framework it was designed for ,right? I mean, if it's all level there should be no warping, right?

Good job Chris. I like the 2x2 front and back. Spreads the load over 1.5" instead of just on the contact surface of the hook.
And I like the board in the attic, we always just drilled a lag eye bolt into the ceiling joist.
Not much insulation up there.

Reactions: Chris
image.jpg

Reading this makes me curious if I will have any warping... She's been up there for 18 months now haha. I think since I have it suspended by the top of it, I should be ok.

Reactions: Mrgreg66 and Chris
Unfortunately I don't have a high enough ceiling to hang my hard top from but I have plenty of width for storage so I made a dolly to store it vertically. I used plans I found on line to build something this:

cart2.JPG

Unfortunately I'm still waiting for spring to get here so the hard top is still on my LJ but I've used this for the past few years and haven't had any issues. It basically looks like this except I have a couple of extra tie downs for safety sake.

top.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have a high enough ceiling to hang my hard top from but I have plenty of width for storage so I made a dolly to store it vertically. I used plans I found on line to build something this:

View attachment 3678

Unfortunately I'm still waiting for spring to get here so the hard top is still on my LJ but I've used this for the past few years and haven't had any issues. It basically looks like this except I have a couple of extra tie downs for safety sake.

View attachment 3679

Nice, I've seen people do this as well. Cheap and easy method of storing a hard top.

Now that is a cool way of storage I never thought of, VR. The casters make it easy to maneuver but for me personally I would add supports on both ends in the front of your picture to help distribute the weight but that's just me. And then I probably couldn't rest till I added some on the sides too. (o.c.d.). I really do like this option!

The portion holding the top of the top is much longer on the one I built for myself than the one in the picture I posted. I also put 2" thick padding on the portions actually touching the top. The last thing I did was cut a 2x4 to the width of the inside of the top with hooks to hold the rear window closed while stored like this.

I was amazed at how stable it is when stored like this. In a couple of weeks when I take mine off I'll post up some pictures.

Reactions: Chris
16-10-30 2.JPG
16-10-29 6.JPG
I don't have space in my garage (too many projects!) so everything gets done outside. I remove and install my TJ & LJ tops under a Maple tree with a $15 rope hoist. It's made of 1/4" nylon rope and small pulley blocks and I was a little nervous the first time I used it but it works great. It's rated for 1,000 lbs. and works surprisingly well.

I store my tops on wood dollies that I made and just roll them up beside my shed.

Last edited:
View attachment 11694 View attachment 11695 I don't have space in my garage (too many projects!) so everything gets done outside. I remove and install my TJ & LJ tops under a Maple tree with a $15 rope hoist. It's made of 1/4" nylon rope and small pulley blocks and I was a little nervous the first time I used it but it works great. It's rated for 1,000 lbs. and works surprisingly well.

I store my tops on wood dollies that I made and just roll them up beside my shed.

The question is, do you use said maple tree for making maple syrup?

Ahhh... one of the things I love the most is that whenever I visit Canada they use REAL maple syrup!

Reactions: PCO6
The question is, do you use said maple tree for making maple syrup?

Ahhh... one of the things I love the most is that whenever I visit Canada they use REAL maple syrup!
Funny you say that. The syrup is running early this year and I'm already seeing people in the neighbourhood tap their trees. I never have but they got me thinking! Even if I don't get much ... it looks cool. (lol)

Funny you say that. The syrup is running early this year and I'm already seeing people in the neighbourhood tap their trees. I never have but they got me thinking! Even if I don't get much ... it looks cool. (lol)

I agree, and it tastes good too!