Hard Top Storage

@SteveBohlman I was reading through my old post and I realized I never actually attached my measurements. Here were the directions to assemble the dolly:

One 12' 2x4 and one 8' 2x4:

From 12' 2x4 cut 59" .................................you will have a remainder of 85"
from remainder of 12' 2x4 cut 33" .................................you will have a remainder of 52"
from remainder of 12' 2x4 cut 33" .................................save remainder (19) for top 20"

from 8' 2x4 cut 59" .................................you will have a remainder of 37"
This one is the brace in front
from remainder of 8' 2x4 cut 20" .................................remainder of 8' 2x4 is 17" yellow that you see in 2003x's plans in an earlier post

The 59" sections are the cross pieces across the front and back. The 33" pieces are the sides. The two 20" and on 17" piece form the stack on the back. I added foam padding to protect the edges and have used this for the past three seasons and they've been great.

P.S.-> I just noticed you're out of Madison. Is that crazy kook still running around on a moped with nothing on other than a state of Wisconsin flag and a thong?

Last edited:
I used these instructions in PDF I found online to make one.

I have Racor storage lift for ceiling but can't open hood with it floating over hood in garage when parked.

Attachments

• Dolly Instructions Jeep Wrangler.pdf
    200.2 KB · Views: 2,819
@SteveBohlman I was reading through my old post and I realized I never actually attached my measurements. Here were the directions to assemble the dolly:

One 12' 2x4 and one 8' 2x4:

From 12' 2x4 cut 59" .................................you will have a remainder of 85"
from remainder of 12' 2x4 cut 33" .................................you will have a remainder of 52"
from remainder of 12' 2x4 cut 33" .................................save remainder (19) for top 20"

from 8' 2x4 cut 59" .................................you will have a remainder of 37"
This one is the brace in front
from remainder of 8' 2x4 cut 20" .................................remainder of 8' 2x4 is 17" yellow that you see in 2003x's plans in an earlier post

The 59" sections are the cross pieces across the front and back. The 33" pieces are the sides. The two 20" and on 17" piece form the stack on the back. I added foam padding to protect the edges and have used this for the past three seasons and they've been great.

P.S.-> I just noticed you're out of Madison. Is that crazy kook still running around on a moped with nothing on other than a state of Wisconsin flag and a thong?
thanks for the measurements. On this rainy 40 degree day that's what I'm doing. Hope to get the hardtop off this week. Yes that crazy guy with the moped is still around. :) PS I'm kinda in the minority being a Red Wings fan here in WI, lots of Blackhawks and a few Wild fans.....

The question is, do you use said Maple tree for making Maple syrup?

Ahhh... one of the things I love the most is that whenever I visit Canada they use REAL Maple syrup!

High quality Vanilla ice cream with Canadian Maple syrup topping ...... Mmmmmm
Maple cured 'back bacon' ........ you American folks call it 'Canadian bacon' ........... Mmmmmmm, again !

Reactions: Chris
Reviving old thread for some quick advice - finally pulled the hard top for the summer and want to make sure I'm storing it properly.

I basically put a big thick piece of plywood in the corner of our basement on top 2x4 pieces leftover from a fence project. Basic AF but seems to be level-ish (basement has a slight grade towards drain)

Is this likely safe for the summer? Looking to avoid the warping issues that have plagued others when they store their tops improperly. Only padding under it is a twice folded drop cloth although it looks like passenger side gotr pulled over onto wood when we adjusted it. Maybe add some towels underneath for extra padding?

IMG_20190422_085628.jpg

IMG_20190422_085640.jpg

Reactions: Tristar_tj
I've got a hoist to keep it on my ceiling. I added a few extra ratchet straps as added security for long term storage.

There's probably some pictures in my build thread with it in the background.

Easy to lift, easy to lower, out of the way, and stays clean.

I've got a hoist to keep it on my ceiling. I added a few extra ratchet straps as added security for long term storage.

There's probably some pictures in my build thread with it in the background.

Easy to lift, easy to lower, out of the way, and stays clean.

I'd love to do this but I don't feel that we have the necessary height. Not sure I trust the joists to hold that weight either...

I'd love to do this but I don't feel that we have the necessary height. Not sure I trust the joists to hold that weight either...

Probably a good idea not to then.

I have tall ceilings and I can fully walk, drive, and raise a Jeep up under it. I did place a couple of 2x6 spreaders across the joists to share the load.

Probably a good idea not to then.

I have tall ceilings and I can fully walk, drive, and raise a Jeep up under it. I did place a couple of 2x6 spreaders across the joists to share the load.

Good idea - yeah it's tall enough to fit the car in the garage but not enough room for the rest of the steps after that. I get the desire for being able to raise it up though, I absolutely can't believe how heavy and awkward it was. I was fully prepared for a difficult task but the forums really undersold it on the weight factor IMO

I built a hoist to pull the top myself. Then rather than let it hang from the hoist, I have a 2 x 4 frame that I use nylon webbing to support from my garage rafters. I use 4 of them, one at each corner. The frame supports the HT on the edges, where it would be supported on the jeep. 10 foot ceiling is plenty high enough to get the HT up and out of the way, plus still park under it. I can take a picture if you want.

Been that way for three seasons and its always fit come October when its time to put it back on again.

Reactions: Tristar_tj
Good idea - yeah it's tall enough to fit the car in the garage but not enough room for the rest of the steps after that. I get the desire for being able to raise it up though, I absolutely can't believe how heavy and awkward it was. I was fully prepared for a difficult task but the forums really undersold it on the weight factor IMO

The LJ top is even more of a beast. I did it myself once. Like a turtle shell. Never ever again.