Hard Top vs Sailcloth Soft Top

Justin Homan

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
So when i got my jeep she came with a hardtop which is very nice for daily driving. A few weeks ago i went camping and tried out Sourgrass trail with the top and doors on. Long story short i hate the creaking noises the hardtop makes so i have been thinking about going soft top as i dont really have the space to remove the hardtop every time i want to hit the trails. I hear sailcloth is the way to go on a soft top so does anyone have experience with both? How does the noise, insulation and waterproofing compare?

So when i got my jeep she came with a hardtop which is very nice for daily driving. A few weeks ago i went camping and tried out Sourgrass trail with the top and doors on. Long story short i hate the creaking noises the hardtop makes so i have been thinking about going soft top as i dont really have the space to remove the hardtop every time i want to hit the trails. I hear sailcloth is the way to go on a soft top so does anyone have experience with both? How does the noise, insulation and waterproofing compare?
I don't have a soft top, but I plan on getting one (eventually... ) It seems that the general recommendation around these parts is Twill from Bestop. I think it is a heavier material than sailcloth.

Reactions: Justin Homan
I don't have a soft top, but I plan on getting one (eventually... ) It seems that the general recommendation around these parts is Twill from Bestop. I think it is a heavier material than sailcloth.
The twill seems like a really nice product, sadly it only comes in black and i absolutely want to keep a tan top.

And i think that settles it, im going to order a bestop sailcloth top in a few weeks and see how i like it!
It’s a great top, though I should clarify something. If for whatever reason you take it through the auto wash, DON’T select the touch-free, water-jet version. You will find leaks you didn’t even know were possible 🤣 Ask me how I know. The normal wash with the foam bristles is just fine.

It’s a great top, though I should clarify something. If for whatever reason you take it through the auto wash, DON’T select the touch-free, water-jet version. You will find leaks you didn’t even know were possible 🤣 Ask me how I know. The normal wash with the foam bristles is just fine.
Well i guess ill do my best to avoid touchless car-washes then haha

@Starrs has had both, maybe he can give some feedback.

Sailcloth is indeed the way to go (if you can afford it) if going with a soft top. It's thicker, quieter, and IMHO it looks better.

Sailcloth is indeed the way to go (if you can afford it) if going with a soft top. It's thicker, quieter, and IMHO it looks better.
I’ve mentioned numerous times twill is the way to go for a soft top, but it’s expeksive. The ballooning effect you get from the sailcloth material at highway speeds would be a no go for me. It’s not as thick of a fabric and when you get up to speed the windows start to pop out as if the whole cab is being blown up like a hot air balloon. The flapping windows isn’t fun either. The twill isn’t near as bad as that. All depends on what you can deal with.
2EC1BDA3-ED51-4D90-95D3-10CCE7050E6A.jpeg
That was my twill. It’s a beautiful dark black outside and inside. Sailcloth is white/grey on the inside.

Definitely sounds like the sailcloth is worth the extra $$$. Definitely going that route with the soft top

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I’ve mentioned numerous times twill is the way to go for a soft top, but it’s expeksive. The ballooning effect you get from the sailcloth material at highway speeds would be a no go for me. It’s not as thick of a fabric and when you get up to speed the windows start to pop out as if the whole cab is being blown up like a hot air balloon. The flapping windows isn’t fun either. The twill isn’t near as bad as that. All depends on what you can deal with. View attachment 124958That was my twill. It’s a beautiful dark black outside and inside. Sailcloth is white/grey on the inside.
Interesting points, i wish they had twill in spice as it would be a no brainer. I just have a hard time giving up on that color. I just feel my Jeep just looks weird with a black top and im willing to give up a little comfort for that. Also my Jeep doesnt see too much highway action so the ballooning windows should effect me too much.

The ballooning effect makes it quieter on the highway. With the A/C on the normal A/C setting, it will do that. If you put it in the recirculate mode, the windows will lose pressure and slacken up some and will flap around a lot, and be quite noticeably louder. If you have the non-A/C setting or even the floor heat selected, the windows will balloon and be quitter too.

I have both hard top and sailcloth and I like both. My only (very minor) gripe with the sailcloth compared to the hardtop is it sometimes seems "boomy" going down the road but it is such a minor thing that I hesitate even bringing it up. I wouldn't give up either one though because the hardtop is nice in the winter to have and the soft top in the summer.

I’ve mentioned numerous times twill is the way to go for a soft top, but it’s expeksive. The ballooning effect you get from the sailcloth material at highway speeds would be a no go for me. It’s not as thick of a fabric and when you get up to speed the windows start to pop out as if the whole cab is being blown up like a hot air balloon. The flapping windows isn’t fun either. The twill isn’t near as bad as that. All depends on what you can deal with. View attachment 124958That was my twill. It’s a beautiful dark black outside and inside. Sailcloth is white/grey on the inside.
Twill has the same characteristic/trait of expanding/being quieter as Sailcloth does when the fan is turned up. You consistently characterize/insinuate Sailcloth like it's a thin cheap fabric which it is far from. Sailcloth is a substantial, much better quality, and thicker fabric that was introduced around 2000 or 2001 and it was an immediate hit. Twill looks nice but it's not the best choice for everyone.

Reactions: Justin Homan
Twill has the same characteristic/trait of expanding/being quieter as Sailcloth does when the fan is turned up. You consistently characterize/insinuate Sailcloth like it's a thin cheap fabric which it is far from. Sailcloth is a substantial, much better quality, and thicker fabric that was introduced around 2000 or 2001 and it was an immediate hit.
Just giving my opinion as I have had both. I preferred the twill. Would buy the twill over sailcloth again and again.

Just giving my opinion as I have had both. I preferred the twill. Would buy the twill over sailcloth again and again.
Just keep in mind the significantly more expensive twill fabric not the best choice for everyone or all needs and situations.

I wish the unlimited had more options, but I’m guessing the Supertop NX from Bestop is still the best option on the LJ. (My rampage that the PO added is starting to disintegrate). Similar to others here, I’m considering selling the hard top and getting a high quality soft top.