Hard top vs. soft top (or to switch or not to switch?)

Kurt_S

Supporting Member
I've found a couple of threads asking for advice on HOW to switch from one to the other, but I'd like to hear from folks who HAVE switched.

Which did you have first, and do you regret your decision?

Living in central CA, I keep the soft top up most of the summer due to the excessive heat, and in the winter driving around with temps in the 40's and 50's isn't alot of fun either.

I'm sure most of this is personal preference, but I'm curious if there are/were unforeseen consequences or advantages?

Cheers,

Kurt_S. I'm on the other coast, so not same environment as you. Bought mine with soft top only, droves for several years with that top on/off. Top off all spring/summer (bikini only, garage when rain was likely). Got a hard top 2 yrs ago. Put on hard top by Thanksgiving and leave on all winter, in spring take top off and store in garage. Now have a ceiling hoist for easy removal/install, by myself. Consider that hardtops take a lot of space, if you have this. You'll need a hoist or help to remove/install. I like having both types for PA climate is great, but I could live with just the soft top.

Having both there is no 100% of the time perfect answer IMO. Sometimes I hate my softop because of the wind noise and that it's getting tired and a new top is now close to $2000. But... anything but rain and snow I just pull the doors the side curtains and Im happy. far more quiet with good ventilation and the 100 degree sun off my knoggin, and its only takes minutes to put it all back together. 90% of the time I ask myself why own a jeep running a hard top and hard doors, might as well drive grannys Impala..

Sold my hard top, replaced it with the Trektop NX, sold that TJ and now have a 06 Rubicon with a soft top.

I prefer the soft top or Trektop myself!!!

Reactions: MikekiM and Kurt_S
Used to have a '12 JKU with a hard top. I took it off for a wheeling trip once and couldn't believe how much nicer it handled. Eventually got a deal on an OEM soft top (traded for other parts I had lying around) and the hard top sat for months, eventually sold it.

My LJ came with an OEM soft top. A hard top would be nice for the winter, but hard tops are a huge liability if you're rock crawling. I've seen people crack their hard tops. Sure, you can stay on easier trails, but that's not what I want to do. I had one trail that scratched my soft top pretty good. Would've ruined a hard top. If I ever run that trail again, it will be with no top at all.

So that's a good point for the OEM soft top. You can take it off while you're on a trail. It's lighter and better for wheeling.

Hard top is better for DD, noise, heat/cold, safer to some degree.

Have both , I was shocked how good the soft top was is winter, warmth wasn't the issue , but overnight snow fall stretching the top and
NEVER being able to see out the windows got real old real fast. after replacing the rear window twice. We replaced the soft top with a hardtop and never looked back. We DD our Jeeps year round .

I had a hard top, took it off and several years of not using it later it was sold. I don't miss it at all. But I do understand why people keep them around (daily driving, road trips, locking it up). My Jeep is a daily, but I work from home and mostly just dad life it until the trail days.

I've never had a hard top on any of my Jeeps. I like running top down as much as possible and figuring out how to remove a hard top and store it seems like more hassle than its worth for me.

In Texas, the top has been down since... April? I removed the entire frame from the roll bar last month. The two times we have had rain this year, I've parked it in the garage.

As for the heat, I run a spiderweb shade in the summer. Its worth it for the little bit of shade at stop lights. It's currently that time of year fold that back and out of the way too!

If I can run a soft top all year, y'all can run one all year.

onecoldse.jpeg

I have both but mine isn't a dd. I didn't switch to the hard top last year but I will this year after a black Friday wheeling trip. Kids like the giant windows in the hard top for Christmas lights touring. The black glass makes rear access much easier.

If I didn't have a hard top already I wouldn't pick one up unless it was a dd. Then a garage with a hoist would be necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurt_S and Irun
That makes my old man self cold just looking at the picture! 🥶

Like anything else up here you just have to dress for it.
The heater is so good in these I'm sure it's bearable - even there! I hope to be through someday!
Heaters are quite good for sure when I was running the half top it would cook you out. With a full top you just have to give it a few minutes to warm up.

Sold my hard top, replaced it with the Trektop NX, sold that TJ and now have a 06 Rubicon with a soft top.

I prefer the soft top or Trektop myself!!!

This ^^^^^

Soft top only on a DD. No issues with winter and zero desire to have a hard top. No desire to store it. I want top down or Sunrider open every chance I get.