Hardtop banging / flapping in the wind

Kelly F.

It's been pretty windy here in NC lately and I've noticed while driving my hardtop start to "flop" or bang against my center roll bar. It does it with windows up or down. Anyone else experience this? Any recommendations to fix the issue or cushion it? Will get roll bar pads soon assuming that would help. Thanks! 0506211342.jpg

Mine does the same but just flexes and doesn't bang against the roll bar, my Alien sun shade possibly stops it as there aint much room in the centre between roll bar and underside roof so I reckon the 3 bungies are cushioning it?

Reactions: Kelly F.
The centre near the rollbar flexes up and down in high wind with the windows cranked, mine only flexes a bit but OP has no rollbar padding to stop it banging on the bar.

Interesting. I've never heard of anyone having that problem with a hardtop.

Its a jeep lol, my hardtop came fitted from the factory and I thought it was only my top that flexed as I had not heard mention of it until this thread. :)
Good to know it's not just me. Rode no doors today, no problem. But half doors or windows half zipped...man the top starts flexing. Like the pressure builds and has no where to go!

Reactions: Fishtaco
Mine does the same thing, I have this piece of foam (I'm not sure if it has a specific name) that just gets tucked between the rollbar and the hardtop. Bangs around like hell without this.

1621568438859.png

Mine does it also. Kind of bangs on the roll bar in high winds. I did not notice until l removed the roll bar padding. I just put a small piece of foam between the roof and roll bar and problem solved.

Interesting. I've never heard of anyone having that problem with a hardtop.
X2. Guys, do what you have to do to stop that ...tops bake in the sun, and things tend to get brittle over time regardless....you will develop cracks inevitably. They are under constant stress...it makes me also think some of the hardtop specific headliners may add some beneficial rigidity.

X2. Guys, do what you have to do to stop that ...tops bake in the sun, and things tend to get brittle over time regardless....you will develop cracks inevitably. They are under constant stress...it makes me also think some of the hardtop specific headliners may add some beneficial rigidity.
I wonder if it's really related to the hardtop or the lack of padding on the rollbar. I also don't have rollbar padding, but my hardtop is fairly toasty. I would have to imagine that you would get that movement fresh off the line if you remove the padding.

I wonder if it's really related to the hardtop or the lack of padding on the rollbar. I also don't have rollbar padding, but my hardtop is fairly toasty. I would have to imagine that you would get that movement fresh off the line if you remove the padding.
Not sure, but no good will come of that...the vehicle is already going 55-65, wind gusts themselves can be powerful...it’s going to eventually start stress cracking.

Eventually nice hard tops will be hard to come by.

Reactions: Kelly F.