Hardtop fitment issue

cclarke802

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have an 03 tj Sahara and the doors are tight up against the top so mkuxh so it damages the seal on the doors. Is this an issue with the top being to far forward? Anyone had this problem? Thanks in advanced

Mine fits really tight. I replaced the old torn seals and now I have to REALLY slam the doors for it to close now. I don't know if it will damage the new seals yet because it's only been a couple of months.

Is it hitting on the top, or the back side of the door? There are two pins, one of each side, of my hardtop to get its fore/aft position correct. I also noticed a piece of weather stripping on the underside of the top, which may raise the height an 1/8" or so.

Is it hitting on the top, or the back side of the door? There are two pins, one of each side, of my hardtop to get its fore/aft position correct. I also noticed a piece of weather stripping on the underside of the top, which may raise the height an 1/8" or so.
It's the back side along the window portion the lower half is fine

I have an 03 tj Sahara and the doors are tight up against the top so mkuxh so it damages the seal on the doors. Is this an issue with the top being to far forward? Anyone had this problem? Thanks in advanced
Yes, I had this problem. Don't start at the top of your windshield. Leave that to last! I always put my front bolts (right behind doors) in first but don't tighten down. Then push the hardtop or pull it toward the back. Then tighten them down. Now put the others in loose. If you can't get one in don't worry for now. I've driven without one before fixing. Check door to see if it will close without rubbing. If so, work from front to back tightening down. If not try to shift top left to right as you pull to the rear to get it back further. Should be good to go with maybe a bolt or two missing. To correct this problem I decided to drill new holes where necessary to get fitment.

Don't go tearing your weatherstrip up like I did on one side. That is not a good solution. It's all in the order of putting it on.

Also, might invest in some of these for ease...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M634RKY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Last edited:
Sorry it took a few days work has been nuts. I am working on getting the bolts that hold the hardtop on but not sure what the former owner was doin 4 bolts 4 different heads on them and tightened way to much lol

20170715_155202.jpg

20170715_155209.jpg

20170715_155151.jpg

20170715_155159.jpg

20170715_155156.jpg