Hardtop fitment issue

I'm going to have to take a look when I get back to my desktop computer (we are on vacation). I'm having a hard time with the pictures on my cell phone. I need to see them on my big screen desktop at home. Stay tuned for my opinion!

Reactions: cclarke802
i did remove most of the bolts holding to roof on, one has to be drilled out. and i was able to make the drive side fit better (side i could get all the bolts free on) Now here is the weird part on the top either the corner bolt holes fit (top to far forward) or the middle one is perfect and the top fits right. I have an 03 but the top has vents so i believe it is from an older tj could that be why? I am thinking of once the fitment is right everywhere of re-drilling the roof hole mount possibly not super fond of this idea but don't want to drop the $$$ for a new top that may or may not have the same issue. your thoughts and experience would be appreciated.

i did remove most of the bolts holding to roof on, one has to be drilled out. and i was able to make the drive side fit better (side i could get all the bolts free on) Now here is the weird part on the top either the corner bolt holes fit (top to far forward) or the middle one is perfect and the top fits right. I have an 03 but the top has vents so i believe it is from an older tj could that be why? I am thinking of once the fitment is right everywhere of re-drilling the roof hole mount possibly not super fond of this idea but don't want to drop the $$$ for a new top that may or may not have the same issue. your thoughts and experience would be appreciated.

It does sound like you have the older model hard top. If you get the fit right you can just drill new holes in the tub. Hit them with some touch up paint and you should be good.

That's the way i am leaning, I just wanted to see if anyone else had the same issue before drilling into the tub. I could also drill into the top but im worried how close to the edge the hole would be and it could split the material the roof is made of then i am screwed

That's the way i am leaning, I just wanted to see if anyone else had the same issue before drilling into the tub. I could also drill into the top but im worried how close to the edge the hole would be and it could split the material the roof is made of then i am screwed
Stay away from drill into the top unless it is a last resort.

Reactions: cclarke802
If you do have to drill into the top, tape around where you plan to drill and use a sharp bit. You don't want the bit to grab and split the SMC material and cause a weak spot.

I drilled the tub for one of mine.

Have you tried posting the top you have in your possession for sale and trying to find a top in better shape.

I originally thought maybe having the wrong model year may have an effect on fitment. But I am not so sure of that anymore.

What if the top is just warped or something from sitting on its side or something while in the Previous owners possession...

Personally I would not cut my Jeep to make a ill fitting top fit correctly. Nor am I saying you are wrong to do so or anyone who suggest it. IMO I would take a step back and try a fix from another angle. Maybe purchase a top closer to your model year in good shape. I also understand money doesn't grow on trees.

Maybe make friends with someone close to you in your area that has a hardtop TJ and see if your top fits their TJ and their on yours. Eliminating the top or your jeep out of the equation.

It's not even so much as drilling new holes they are off just a bit so if enlarge them a bit it fits perfectly and it square nothing suggests to me that the top is warped. If I were to sell it and try and get a new one I would have to wait awhile until after hurricane season can t risk not having the rig weather proof during the season

Reactions: JP98
Personally I would not cut my Jeep to make an ill fitting top fit correctly.

Same here, that's why I asked about drilling the top instead of the tub. The top already doesn't fit well, so I'd personally prefer to adjust it than the body, but like you said, that's just me. If others see no issue in adjusting the tub holes, go for it.

It's not even so much as drilling new holes they are off just a bit so if enlarge them a bit it fits perfectly and it square nothing suggests to me that the top is warped. If I were to sell it and try and get a new one I would have to wait awhile until after hurricane season can t risk not having the rig weather proof during the season
Yea I understand. You got to do what you got to do.

For reference this was in from of my office last year when Matthew grazed us that is a road usually lol
C6DD5487-AB1B-4011-93AB-47ADCBCAC669.JPG

Sorry it took a few days work has been nuts. I am working on getting the bolts that hold the hardtop on but not sure what the former owner was doin 4 bolts 4 different heads on them and tightened way to much lol

View attachment 18827

View attachment 18828

View attachment 18829

View attachment 18830

View attachment 18831
I am having the same exact issue with my top. I am still new to owning a Jeep only 3 months in) and I bought a hardtop in late October and my weather stripping also gets in the way of the drivers door closing without needing to slam it!

Did you ever fix the issue on yours cclarke802? I've considered just "opening the holes on the top slightly to get it slide back. not like I need it to move far, probably like a 1/8" or less is all it would take.

Reactions: JMT
I am having the same exact issue with my top. I am still new to owning a Jeep only 3 months in) and I bought a hardtop in late October and my weather stripping also gets in the way of the drivers door closing without needing to slam it!

Did you ever fix the issue on yours cclarke802? I've considered just "opening the holes on the top slightly to get it slide back. not like I need it to move far, probably like a 1/8" or less is all it would take.
I too have this issue with my 2003. The hardtop is the kind with the vents in the rear corners. I had to gorilla glue the door seals where they were tearing and it’s been holding up pretty good. But like others said I do have to slam the door shut for it to close tight.

Reactions: dschwes and JMT