Hardtop fitment issue

Is there any adjustments than can be made to the windshield angle, so that it allows alignment/adjustment fore and aft to the hardtop?
Not sure if it’s really the window angle as opposed to the hardtop being slightly too big or sitting too far forward.
EB4E0177-C117-44BD-8B21-394BCAC9A12A.jpeg
8068583F-145E-4A28-BBAA-BC5D64D754F0.jpeg
3D1E8C04-AFF7-4805-8D43-2AB52D66E497.jpeg
E500567B-823C-44DD-8952-3751518E5173.jpeg
3D1E8C04-AFF7-4805-8D43-2AB52D66E497.jpeg
E500567B-823C-44DD-8952-3751518E5173.jpeg

Reactions: dschwes
I have the same fitment issue. I have a tight fit with the seal just below the bend in the window frame.

The funny thing is, I noticed, like yours, the worn paint in that spot on the top when bought it. And thats exactly where mine is tight.

I previously loosened everything up, pushed the top back as best I could, tightned the bolts and finally the windshield latches.

Lasted for a bit but seems the top must have 'walked' back as its tight again.

Reactions: JMT
I have the same fitment issue. I have a tight fit with the seal just below the bend in the window frame.

The funny thing is, I noticed, like yours, the worn paint in that spot on the top when bought it. And thats exactly where mine is tight.

I previously loosened everything up, pushed the top back as best I could, tightned the bolts and finally the windshield latches.

Lasted for a bit but seems the top must have 'walked' back as its tight again.

I was actually gonna try to do that too. Thanks for the input. Not willing to drill new holes. Guess I’ll just deal with it during the winter months til it’s soft top season again. I’ll just reapply gorilla glue to the seals as needed.

I was actually gonna try to do that too. Thanks for the input. Not willing to drill new holes. Guess I’ll just deal with it during the winter months til it’s soft top season again. I’ll just reapply gorilla glue to the seals as needed.
Same issues just got to try and push it back as much as you can

Reactions: dschwes
I had this exact same issue. I did as @JMT suggested and loosened all the top bolts and the windshield clamps and pushed it back as much as possible while evenly tightening it down then readjusted the windshield clamps. Then I used liberal amounts of silicone spray on the rubber seals and eliminated the problem.

I had this exact same issue. I did as @JMT suggested and loosened all the top bolts and the windshield clamps and pushed it back as much as possible while evenly tightening it down then readjusted the windshield clamps. Then I used liberal amounts of silicone spray on the rubber seals and eliminated the problem.

Has the hard top stayed back as you positioned it or has it crept back like previous comments have said?

I have an 03 tj Sahara and the doors are tight up against the top so mkuxh so it damages the seal on the doors. Is this an issue with the top being to far forward? Anyone had this problem? Thanks in advanced
Mine does the same only on the driver side door. I blame it on a poor mold for the after market hard top.

Reactions: JMT and cclarke802
Mine does the same only on the driver side door. I blame it on a poor mold for the after market hard top.

Same. Definitely much more noticeable on the driver side. How can you tell if the hardtop is oem or aftermarket? Mine has the vents on the rear corners of the hardtop.
0B6488E0-4A53-4C57-B1EA-F2018311DBA7.jpeg

Same. Definitely much more noticeable on the driver side. How can you tell if the hardtop is oem or aftermarket? Mine has the vents on the rear corners of the hardtop. View attachment 67902

That looks similar to oem. What does the inside liner look like? Mine is clearly aftermarket, has a sunroof and my build sheet said it came with a soft top and no interior controls for wiper or defrost.

Ps nice blue ;)
20181107_123553.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TreverStevens
That looks similar to oem. What does the inside liner look like? Mine is clearly aftermarket, has a sunroof and my build sheet said it came with a soft top and no interior controls for wiper or defrost.

Ps nice blue ;)View attachment 68010
Good looking Jeep there. I lived in vail for a short stint. Wish I would have had my TJ back then.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
It has its good and its bad. Not having to worry about my car bring stolen, good. Cost of living is bad but it has a good quality of life.
Don't mean to hijack or clutter the thread, but ya, sometimes I miss it out there. I just couldn't find a decent group of people to run with while out there and that got old. The scenery and stuff to do outdoors definitely made it worth-while though.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
Does anyone know how to identify hardtops? I have vents in my black top that are short but I have seem some where the vent goes basically from top to bottom and some that don't look like they have any vent.

hardtop.jpg

814b4cec9e_640.jpg

Same issues and many in this thread are admitting exact same issue. Driver's side mainly, right below the bend at the top of the door, etc...I have a pre 2003 top on a 2005 TJ. I wonder if others that have this problem are dealing with the same issue of an earlier hardtop on a later model TJ. Anyone? Mine still creeps a bit. I get tired of it!

Does anyone know how to identify hardtops? I have vents in my black top that are short but I have seem some where the vent goes basically from top to bottom and some that don't look like they have any vent.

View attachment 68182

View attachment 68183
The tops with the vent running top to bottom are OEM 1997-2002. The 2003-2006 OEM don't have any vent because the vent is on the tailgate. The one in the top pic is not an OEM, but it is made to work on any year TJ. As long as you have a vent you are good to go and can run with hardtop on and doors off. But because of the design of the 1997-2002 TJ's you can only run a 1997-2002 TJ hardtop on them. The 2003-2006 TJ's can run any hardtop.

Same issues and many in this thread are admitting exact same issue. Driver's side mainly, right below the bend at the top of the door, etc...I have a pre 2003 top on a 2005 TJ. I wonder if others that have this problem are dealing with the same issue of an earlier hardtop on a later model TJ. Anyone? Mine still creeps a bit. I get tired of it!

Yep, I have an 02 top on an 05. But why one spot, on one side, and by so little? I doubt they changed anything

That’s interesting...I have an 05 TJ but I’m not sure which year my roof is. How can I tell what year my top is? I don’t see any identifier to tell what year the top is. It certainly makes sense though. But, at the same time, why is it that the problem only exists on the drivers side and not both...?? UGH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s interesting...I have an 05 TJ but I’m not sure which year my roof is. How can I tell what year my top is? I don’t see any identifier to tell what year the top is. It certainly makes sense though. But, at the same time, why is it that the problem only exists on the drivers side and not both...?? UGH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See post #56 for the answer to your question about hardtops.

Why only on the driver’s side is a good question. Mine is also close on passenger side, but not as close