Hardtop gullwing mods

I've done swing-up windows (a.k.a. "gullwings" in the Land Rover world) for the JK and JKU. This is the JK 2dr version:

Those are glass windows, I've also done solid cargo windows, these are for the JKU; also part of the design are optional MOLLE panels that go inside:

cargowindowhatch4_zps9uytnsnx-jpg.147201

The solid hatches are designed so that you might mount something to the outside, like a Rotopax.

I've also done swing-up hatches on my Jeep-tub camper top based on the Safari Cab hardtop:

FrontHatchStruts1.jpg

I have done some preliminary design work on a TJ version, but not having a TJ I didn't pursue it to completion.

I've done swing-up windows (a.k.a. "gullwings" in the Land Rover world) for the JK and JKU. This is the JK 2dr version:

Those are glass windows, I've also done solid cargo windows, these are for the JKU; also part of the design are optional MOLLE panels that go inside:

cargowindowhatch4_zps9uytnsnx-jpg.147201

The solid hatches are designed so that you might mount something to the outside, like a Rotopax.

I've also done swing-up hatches on my Jeep-tub camper top based on the Safari Cab hardtop:

View attachment 347771

I have done some preliminary design work on a TJ version, but not having a TJ I didn't pursue it to completion.
Jscherb

Thx so much, just what I was looking for . I’m not considering a replacement hardtop to keep the cost at a minimum. What brand frame/hinge/lock assembly did you purchase, or did you buy individual parts ?

•DETOUR•

•Going the xtra mile - it’s never crowded• 😉

Jscherb

Thx so much, just what I was looking for . I’m not considering a replacement hardtop to keep the cost at a minimum. What brand frame/hinge/lock assembly did you purchase, or did you buy individual parts ?

•DETOUR•

•Going the xtra mile - it’s never crowded• 😉
I did the prototype swing-ups as part of a design project for Retrofit Offroad. I previously has designed a slider window kit for JK and JL hardtops that they marketed and sold quite a few of, and they were thinking of doing swing-up cargo windows so I worked with an RV window supplier to make prototype swing-up windows.

Retrofit's slider window product: https://www.retrofitoffroad.com/sho...-factory-hardtop-slider-window-kit-2011-2017/

Unfortunately putting movable (slider or swing-up) windows in a TJ, LJ, JK or JL factory hardtop isn't that easy. The windows have co compound curves (curves in both directions) and so the window mounting surface on the hardtop also has compound curves. A standard RV-style window, which is very reasonably priced, requires a flat mounting surface. What I did for Retrofit was design a mounting kit that mounted to the compound curved window mounting surface and provided a flat mounting surface for the slider or swing-up window.

I have done a design for a mounting kit for the TJ and LJ that would allow RV windows to be easily installed; like the JK and JL kits I did for Retrofit, the mounting kit mounts to the curved window mounting surface of the TJ/LJ hardtop and presents a flat mounting surface to the slider or swing-up window. It would look a little like this, although it's only blue for illustration purposes, it would be black to match the hardtop.

tjsliderconcept2_zpsswjqbweh-jpg.147198

The mounting kit wouldn't be hard to make, and RV windows can be manufactured in reasonably small quantities for about $50 each (slider) and a little more for swing-up windows. All that's needed is a company that wants to market the product; I'd be happy to work with a company to create the product. :).

Reactions: MichaelGH
I did the prototype swing-ups as part of a design project for Retrofit Offroad. I previously has designed a slider window kit for JK and JL hardtops that they marketed and sold quite a few of, and they were thinking of doing swing-up cargo windows so I worked with an RV window supplier to make prototype swing-up windows.

Retrofit's slider window product: https://www.retrofitoffroad.com/sho...-factory-hardtop-slider-window-kit-2011-2017/

Unfortunately putting movable (slider or swing-up) windows in a TJ, LJ, JK or JL factory hardtop isn't that easy. The windows have co compound curves (curves in both directions) and so the window mounting surface on the hardtop also has compound curves. A standard RV-style window, which is very reasonably priced, requires a flat mounting surface. What I did for Retrofit was design a mounting kit that mounted to the compound curved window mounting surface and provided a flat mounting surface for the slider or swing-up window.

I have done a design for a mounting kit for the TJ and LJ that would allow RV windows to be easily installed; like the JK and JL kits I did for Retrofit, the mounting kit mounts to the curved window mounting surface of the TJ/LJ hardtop and presents a flat mounting surface to the slider or swing-up window. It would look a little like this, although it's only blue for illustration purposes, it would be black to match the hardtop.

tjsliderconcept2_zpsswjqbweh-jpg.147198

The mounting kit wouldn't be hard to make, and RV windows can be manufactured in reasonably small quantities for about $50 each (slider) and a little more for swing-up windows. All that's needed is a company that wants to market the product; I'd be happy to work with a company to create the product. :).

I’d say WOWEE !

you’re NOT hesitating to go the x-tra mile, eh 😱👍🏿

Thx for your detailed elaborations
• my next closest idea is removing our LJ’s side windows from the hardtop.
•Then use the windows as a template for a sheet of say 3/16” aluminum, but open up the Center piece in a rectangular shape to accommodate the largest existing on the market available hinged RV window
•I’m not too fond of sliders (one more thing to maintain 😊 speak ice /dirt)

•DETOUR• 👋🏿

Reactions: MichaelGH