Hardtop hoist recommendations

SPECWAR

TJ Enthusiast
Looking to install a hardtop hoist in my garage to aid in removal and “storage” of the top during the summer.
Who has them, and what do you recommend?
Thanks in advance.

I prefer the option of leaving the tailgate glass in the closed position if possible. Is it an option with this unit?
Thank you for your input.

I prefer the option of leaving the tailgate glass in the closed position if possible. Is it an option with this unit?
Thank you for your input.
Yes.

I got the Lange originals hand crank hoist from Quadratec. The worm gear in the winch immediately started to wear first time I used it. I called quadratec they sent me a heavier duty winch, which also did the same thing. I called them back and they sent me the Lange Originals power hoist, which works awesome. So, I got a $450 hoist for $150. Great customer service and super fast shipping!

• Wow
Reactions: JMT
Just be wary when in use, a hard top on some hoists can swing around when it clears the Jeep and nail you if you're not ready for it. Mine did that one Sunday and by Monday morning I had a huge (!) black eye I where the bottom corner next to the door opening swung into me and popped my eye pretty bad.

That black eye came at a bad time lol, that monday morning was my first day at a new company with 90% women employees. I had to give a talk that first day laying out my plans for my department that coming year and all the women must have been thinking they had hired a thug who had been fighting over the weekend. The side of my face looked like I had been in the ring and had lost by a knockout. 🤣

Reactions: SPECWAR
I went a different route for my LJ. I needed something that I could do alone but not permanent since I sold my house and am renting. I picked up a rolling scaffold at HomeDepot. It adjusts even with the back of the Jeep. I can then slide the top off the Jeep and roll it out of the way. With the hardtop against the wall I can still park the LJ in the garage.
20200816_112745.jpg

A good thing about a Harken Hoister is the 4 point mounting system. This keeps the hardtop from swinging around. One possible danger is if your garage ceiling is relatively low. When mounted and you remove the top, you can't pull it up high enough to clear most people's walking height. Just be aware that you could walk into it. After walking into it once a year you won't forget till the next year. Still the best mounting position because it's up and in space that's not being used by other stuff.

Thanks all.
My ceiling is 10’ so I should be good to go.
It is shipping today so I will have something to do soon😁
I know how that goes. Always need something "to do."

Received Harken hoist yesterday and mounted it to garage ceiling this morning. Seems they covered all the bases putting this kit together.
Will probably give it a test lift or two when it warms up next week.

I've been using the same harken hoist with 3 different houses now.

Sometime soon I need to take it down and rework it to handle the extra length of the LJ top.

Very pleased with it.

I went a different route for my LJ. I needed something that I could do alone but not permanent since I sold my house and am renting. I picked up a rolling scaffold at HomeDepot. It adjusts even with the back of the Jeep. I can then slide the top off the Jeep and roll it out of the way. With the hardtop against the wall I can still park the LJ in the garage.
View attachment 226751
I use the HF scaffold to take the RTT off my truck.

MyLIFTER hard top hoist for the Jeep.

View attachment 226751

Which scaffolding did you get? I think I want to go this route. I don't know why, I just don't love the hoist idea.

Also, is it pretty easy to "slide the top off the Jeep"? I have girl-muscles.

• Love
Reactions: liftapint
I installed a small electric hoist recessed into the roof of our garage. Back the Jeep in, unbolt the hardtop, couple of lifting slings looped through and hitched to the crane hook and it’s up and off. Move the Jeep out from underneath and position the purpose built mobile trolley and lower the hardtop onto it. Push the trolley to the rear of the garage. Simple one man operation.

Last edited: