Jacqu_rose

Hi there. I just replaced my original liftgate weatherstrip on my '02 hardtop with a weather strip off of ExtremeTerrain. I took the old one off just fine, and made sure the base was clean before applying the new one. I had no issue putting the new strip on. It sits flush when I close my trunk. However, when I close one of the front doors, the liftgate now pops open. Any idea on how to fix this? Do I need to purchase an additional weatherstrip, since I haven't changed any of the others on the backside? ET.com's solution was to send me a replacement seal, but I don't know if this will really fix the issue. Hardtop is fully sealed, and I've never taken it off. I also have bar clips on both sides, which have never caused an issue. Thanks!

Link to what I purchased: OPR Tailgate Liftgate Glass Weatherstrip

Image 1: Seal when trunk is closed
IMG_4448-1.jpg

Image 2: When the liftgate pops open
IMG_4449-1.jpg

Last edited:
I had the same issue on a previous TJ and added a piece of bulb trim to the top of the tailgate. However, I don't think I needed that thick of a trim. I've seen others have used a piece of u-channel trim to the top of the tailgate with success.

Vertical bulb trim:

bulbtrim.jpg

My 2005 TJ had issues of the back glass slightly opening when I would close a door. I fixed it by opening the back glass and slightly loosening the two bolts that hold the glass to the hinges. This allowed me to adjust the glass by sliding it down maybe 1/8 inch or so. This slight adjustment of sliding the glass down was all that was needed to keep the back glass from popping open. I put new struts on the back glass a few years ago and suspect their strength pulled the glass up ever so slightly over time and out of adjustment.

What I did for this problem years ago was to adjust the hinges down. Didn't help.

So I went to the auto parts store and and bought Car Door Edge protectors and put it on the top of the tail gate.

Been good for years and didn't cost much. Also protects the top of the tailgate lol.

I didn't by this particular brand and I bought black .

Link is just to give the big idea.

https://www.amazon.com/Maremlyn-Guards-20Ft-Rubber-Protector,U-Protection/dp/B08FC3BYYT/ref=sr_1_19?dchild=1&keywords=car+door+edge+protector&qid=1617230559&s=automotive&sr=1-19