Hardtop roof rack

Goatman

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Seems like the hardtop is too flimsy to support much more than the rack itself. I was thinking that if I made some brackets that go from the inside of the roof to a saddle that can mount to the roof bar that the rack could support a lot more weight. More than those cheap supports that go to the windshield hinges. I know too much weight up high is a bad idea, but wouldn't this be far stronger? Essentially connecting the rack through the roof to the roof bar. Good idea? Bad idea? Someone else must have tried this already. Any opinions?

Reactions: Paintbiscuit
Seems like the hardtop is too flimsy to support much more than the rack itself. I was thinking that if I made some brackets that go from the inside of the roof to a saddle that can mount to the roof bar that the rack could support a lot more weight. More than those cheap supports that go to the windshield hinges. I know too much weight up high is a bad idea, but wouldn't this be far stronger? Essentially connecting the rack through the roof to the roof bar. Good idea? Bad idea? Someone else must have tried this already. Any opinions?

I had the same idea as you, but I decided that I would never have that much weight up there and gave up on that line of thought. I bolted on a roof rack from a grand cherokee, and I followed the instructions from this thread, https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/xj-cargo-rack-on-tj-hardtop.2747/

Regarding roof leaks, I have had mine up there for six months and no leaks yet.

I'd be interested if you come up with a good idea.

60 lbs seems heavy for what my hardtop is made of. It seems almost like a hard plastic thing. Not like the hardtops I've had before on CJ's. They felt stout for bear. I think I could put a fist through my TJ hard top. I was told it was OEM, but they might have been wrong.

Thule makes a rain gutter add on piece that can be used on the rear of the hardtop. It might prove to hold more weight as it’s inline and not pushing down on the top.

I'm just thinking anything, even just a sturdy basket itself would crack the roof if not supported from below. That is probably the reason for all those odd brackets to the windshield and taillight mounts.

Thule makes a rain gutter add on piece that can be used on the rear of the hardtop. It might prove to hold more weight as it’s inline and not pushing down on the top.
@JEG - so you have the model number on the Thule rain gutter add on piece. Been trying to narrow that down as well for my 2001 -TJ. I would like to use the Thule Pulse Cargo box.

Resurrecting this thread.

I've been thinking about the same thing (supporting the roof rack on the hard top by distributing the load to the roll bars). I haven't found anything besides some folks saying they've done it, I haven't actually found pictures or a write-up. Unfortunately, there is no Rhino-Rack Backbone for Jeep TJ's - they seem pretty awesome for the JK's.

I found these on amazon, but you wouldn't be able to carry more than maybe 100 lbs:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DVEEWV0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Don’t know if you’re still interested, but @EJD did something like this. He has a nice write-up.

It is still holding up great after 2+ years or so. Really impressed!

Also remember that a lot of the Yakima stuff can be found often on Craigslist for very cheap. The only specific parts you would need are the “Landing Pads” and the towers.

Resurrecting this thread.

I've been thinking about the same thing (supporting the roof rack on the hard top by distributing the load to the roll bars). I haven't found anything besides some folks saying they've done it, I haven't actually found pictures or a write-up. Unfortunately, there is no Rhino-Rack Backbone for Jeep TJ's - they seem pretty awesome for the JK's.

I found these on amazon, but you wouldn't be able to carry more than maybe 100 lbs:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DVEEWV0/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Why add weight to the already top heavy vehicle? That is beyond me.

It creates a less stable rig, the Jeep was purpose built to go offroad, builders are constantly trying to keep them low while adding bigger tires.

A vehicle that is going to be rolling through off camber trails. Not to even begin to think about climbing steep hills, deep off camber ruts, and embankments with more weight on top of the vehicle...

Not every Jeep is headed to Johnson Valley. A lot of us are building more of an 'overlander' type of rig. Any sort of camping with the back seat in use makes it nearly impossible to load enough gear for 3 people. Add a puppy and space inside is even less.
Moderate trails can be done with a roof rack in use.

Not every Jeep is headed to Johnson Valley. A lot of us are building more of an 'overlander' type of rig. Any sort of camping with the back seat in use makes it nearly impossible to load enough gear for 3 people. Add a puppy and space inside is even less.
Moderate trails can be done with a roof rack in use.
Agreed! Plus, I'm in Florida where there's basically no elevation, so that's not a concern. What's nice about a light duty rack to me, is the option to use it. You can always remove it when not in use or not necessary.