Hardtop to softop to sun rider

First off, I totally understand that about leaving the top on for shade but the windows off. To me it sounded like you originally said you wanted to take all the windows off AND put the top in the sunrider mode. That does not make sense to me.

I have the trektop NX and use the sunrider mode all the time, I have never had issues with it sagging. I love it. Last summer I drove 20+ minutes going 70 on the highway to and from work every day with the sunrider open. Was never a problem. I don’t see why windows need to be installed for it to work, and I am able to put it on and off at a light just like you said. I have done so many times.

The issues you have mentioned I guess I just haven’t experienced. Maybe I got lucky somehow, I don’t know, but I really don’t have any complaint about the top at all.

Edit - I actually did have one issue with the tension bar/bow thingy in the front rattling when it was in sunrider mode, but I fixed that with a bit of duct tape. Thats the singular complaint I have
Yes, we probably run ours more w/o doors or windows than with them on.
Being able to flip the Sunrider back in that configuration is very beneficial.
Flip it back and it's like a full convertible and easy to flip it forward again to provide some shade to keep the seats cool and bird shit free!

I'm beginning to think there may be multiple versions of the TJ Trektop NX w/ Sunrider option.
My top (purchased direct from Bestop last year), has (2) long plastic "tabs" sewn along the outside edge of the top (above the doors)...
(two on each side of the vehicle).
These "tabs" "clip" into the groove along the outside edge of the door surrounds.
I suspect they are intended to help keep the tension on the top and to reduce the amount of leaking/flapping/etc. that could occur above the doors if they were not present.
In any case, the tabs cannot be extracted from the grooves with the hard doors on (UNLESS they are open), or while you are seated alone in the drivers' seat... (i.e. you cannot flip the Sunrider back at a light in the TJ because you need to open the doors in order to release the tabs from the grooves, and you cannot release the tabs from the grooves without getting out of the vechicle).
I can open and close the Sunrider on our JKU ALONE, while seated in the drivers' seat at a light or even while moving if I wanted to.

My TJ and JK is the same as you described. The TJ is a little more work then the JK.

That is exactly what I was referring to above. On the JK, I could flip it back after unclipping the deader bar latches. I recall I modified the latches on the JKs TrekTop Nx because the visors had to be flipped outward in order for the latches to clear.

Those tabs... in warm weather I leave them out most of the time just to avoid slowing things down...

Seems to work form regardless of the status of the windows. That's part of what I like about it.

The front tension bar. I leave that out most of the time during warm weather. I place it on top of the roll bar just in front of the sound bar supporting the fold of fabric in the soft top. I put a rare earth magnet under the roll bar padding on each side. The tension bar snaps into place on the magnets and doesn't budge and the soft top fabric stays up high regardless of speed.

That’s really smart. I may do that with the tension bar

Reactions: MikekiM
Yes, we probably run ours more w/o doors or windows than with them on.
Being able to flip the Sunrider back in that configuration is very beneficial.
Flip it back and it's like a full convertible and easy to flip it forward again to provide some shade to keep the seats cool and bird shit free!

It's not that odd. We'll run with no sides or back and leave the top on for shade. Then we want the sun we flip the sunrider back which is much more convenient than taking the whole top off. And it keeps shade on the kid in the back most of the time, unless the angle of sun is just wrong enough.

I didn’t think of that in this way and definitely haven’t done it before, but I guess it’s now do see the reason. I personally probably won’t do that because I’m fine with just taking the whole top off at that point, but I see there is a reason not to which I didn’t realize before.

I think all the Trektop NX owners leave the top on, because its a big pain to re-attach the center velcro straps...

I miss my old Trektop NX with the flip back feature. :(

Trektop NX.jpg

I‘m not totally against getting the trektop nx but I’m not a fan of the slant back and I like the challenge of building my own… Another challenge I found last night is reattaching the header to the windshield frame quickly… It might be easier when it’s warmer but it was 60° last night and I had to loosen a lot of Velcro to get the hooks into the windshield frame… The only reason I even started this mod was because the wife and I drove a JK last week and she loved the sunrider feature… The JK is definitely easier to open and close than the TJ…

Reactions: MikekiM
I‘m not totally against getting the trektop nx but I’m not a fan of the slant back and I like the challenge of building my own… Another challenge I found last night is reattaching the header to the windshield frame quickly… It might be easier when it’s warmer but it was 60° last night and I had to loosen a lot of Velcro to get the hooks into the windshield frame… The only reason I even started this mod was because the wife and I drove a JK last week and she loved the sunrider feature… The JK is definitely easier to open and close than the TJ…

You should look into the way the Rugged Ridge Voyager top works. I have the Voyager for my Gladiator, and the "sunrider" style front section on that works exceptionally well... yet it is a frameless top.

Reactions: 97JadeTJ
That's what I'm wondering. Mine had the Trektop when I bought it, but down the road when it comes time to replace it, I don't NEED a brand logo!

I found this about the two.
Pavement Ends is owned by Bestop and is their cheaper line of imported tops. Pavement Ends uses cheaper-thinner fabrics and they aren't put together with as much quality nor do they fit as well as Bestop's American-made products do.

Last edited:
I found this about the two.
Pavement Ends is owned by Bestop and is their cheaper line of imported tops. Pavement Ends uses cheaper-thinner fabrics and they aren't put together with as much quality nor do they fit as well as Bestop's American-made products do.

From what I've read here lately, Bestop's best tops don't fit that well either. I'll just stick with my Rampage Frameless top in Winter and a Bikini for Summer. (Bikini for the Jeep, not me.);)

• USA Proud
Reactions: TheBoogieman