Harmonic vibrations in Jeeps: A new theory (please read!)

Sri - Is this your Jeep? Any good news?

No news :(

Going to a standalone crossmember that you see in the photo there did not work. It make things worse.

After that update I haven't heard a word from them. I'm going to go there and pull my Jeep most likely since they don't seem to be working on it at all. Really frustrated.

Reactions: ElectricWizard

Going to a standalone crossmember that you see in the photo there did not work. It make things worse.

After that update I haven't heard a word from them. I'm going to go there and pull my Jeep most likely since they don't seem to be working on it at all. Really frustrated.

Just go take it back. No use messing around with a shop like that. If they aren't working on it, there is no use leaving it there. I'm sure there are plenty of other shops that would welcome your business and treat you a lot better than Jeep West has.

Reactions: psrivats
Just go take it back. No use messing around with a shop like that. If they aren't working on it, there is no use leaving it there. I'm sure there are plenty of other shops that would welcome your business and treat you a lot better than Jeep West has.

Exactly. My local mechanic here will be happy to take that project on and actually fix it. Even after going there last Saturday and hearing that it'll get worked on, I haven't heard a peep from either Chris Sines or Dave Kishpaugh. @Chris pulled his Jeep last sat and I'm pulling mine as soon as I can. There is no point anymore

Exactly. My local mechanic here will be happy to take that project on and actually fix it. Even after going there last Saturday and hearing that it'll get worked on, I haven't heard a peep from either Chris Sines or Dave Kishpaugh. @Chris pulled his Jeep last sat and I'm pulling mine as soon as I can. There is no point anymore

It's been a long time without your Jeep. Hoping it gets fixed one way or another soon I feel bad for all you've gone through Sri. You'll have to plan one hell of a trip with it when its all running again. Sounds like the shop @Chris is taking his too might have some experience in those vibes?

I would just walk in and ask for the keys. Not worth fighting with people who are this incompetent. They might know how to build a Jeep but they sure don't know how to retain customers.

It's been a long time without your Jeep. Hoping it gets fixed one way or another soon I feel bad for all you've gone through Sri. You'll have to plan one hell of a trip with it when its all running again. Sounds like the shop @Chris is taking his too might have some experience in those vibes?

It's been a very long time indeed. I'll likely go for my first winter hiking trip once I get it back and get the issues sorted out. I've been talking to @Chris offline and his local shop may be my next stop.

Those guys really have no clue whatsoever how to run a business. It’s sad, but true.

Are the vibrations you guys are having severe or just annoying? I have a vibration in my 05 LJR that is pretty mild but is definitely there. Wondering if I should be more concerned. 2” spacer lift on it, but vibe was there before and didn’t really change.

Are the vibrations you guys are having severe or just annoying? I have a vibration in my 05 LJR that is pretty mild but is definitely there. Wondering if I should be more concerned. 2” spacer lift on it, but vibe was there before and didn’t really change.

The vibrations I have are absolutely terrible. You cannot drive the jeep for any decent distance without it bothering the hell out of you. @Chris jeep is milder at 65mph but gets worse at higher speeds quickly.

The vibrations I have are absolutely terrible. You cannot drive the jeep for any decent distance without it bothering the hell out of you. @Chris jeep is milder at 65mph but gets worse at higher speeds quickly.

Yes... trust me. These are more than just vibrations. It's literally a harmonic frequency. Driving Sri's TJ was unlike anything I've experienced. Mine doesn't happen until about 60 mph, so it's tolerable. His happens at such a low speed that it's literally unbearable.

Well that is unfortunate. Will be following this thread for some ideas that might help my vibration problem even though it is pretty minor at this time. Good luck to you guys.

Have you checked your u-joints? A bad u-joint will show itself as a vibration.[/QUOTE
Yeah I checked them and seemed fine. The vibe definitely seems harmonic, comes and goes every few seconds. Speed doesn’t seem to be a real factor either. Only had it six months and put a couple thousand miles on it.

Those guys really have no clue whatsoever how to run a business. It’s sad, but true.

I'm confused.

By "those guys" are you including an individual named Dave you have until recently characterized as a knowledgeable "go to" guy for custom suspension work in Oregon?

What changed so quickly? And hasn't he been a member here if he isn't still?

I'm confused.

By "those guys" are you including an individual named Dave you have until recently characterized as a knowledgeable "go to" guy for custom suspension work in Oregon?

What changed so quickly? And hasn't he been a member here if he isn't still?

I think the main complaints have been around scheduling/communication issues, not anyones actual work quality. Probably best to private message Chris if you want more details.

Reactions: jjvw and Chris
I life with Vibrations for 6 years, my 2003 Rubi has a 4" Currie Suspesion with a AEV Tummy Tucker Transfercase Plate, 35" Tires and now 5.13 Axle Gears. Last year i had 4.88 Gears and the vibrations Comes at 65mph after i changed to 5.13 gears the vibrations Comes at 60mph. It was terrible to drive the jeep at higher speeds. After I re-gear, I do alot of alignment but the vibes were still there. Now I changed to manual locking hubs in the Front and every vibration is gone. I love it and the Jeep drives now like a normal car.
I think there is no option with a lifted Rubicon to eliminate the vibes without disconnect the front drive shaft from the drivetrain.

Reactions: ac_ and zebra12
Great thread. @psrivats, did you get your TJ back and take for a drive with OD on and off to see if there was a difference? While I’m asking questions, are there similar problems common to any other transmissions? Mostly I’m curious about the NSG370. Is there a blanket recommendation when putting on an SYE and DC as far as removing or keeping the Harmonic Balancer? Great work using your background knowledge to back into this problem.

Regardless of any other factors, I mentioned this to you when we chatted. This stuff is a real pain in the ass for shops. You can spend countless hours that you aren't sure will be paid for and even if they are paid for, it isn't comfortable to charge someone for that much time with sometimes no change for the better and often times change for the worse. I don't blame any shop that throws in the towel or lags on a project like this because there is little about it that doesn't suck.

We are shooting blind with stuff like this with only experimental solutions based in experiences that gives us places to just start to make a difference. That and it is very hard to disrupt a tight schedule of other rigs that have known solutions to be applied to them in order to get them out the door.

Not picking sides, but I can easily understand the issue.

Reactions: JMT