Harmonic vibrations in Jeeps: A new theory (please read!)

Anybody understand how a double cardan even stays together at speed??

Amazes me.

Anybody understand how a double cardan even stays together at speed??

Amazes me.
I have a better question. Why doesn't every TJ with a SYE have these vibes?

This entire thread has been about dissecting the nuance of every component down to the minutest of detail to find some way to rule it out or blame it. So why doesn't every TJ have the same issue with the same components?

After reading the post you had where you tightened so many things on someone's rig it made me wonder if cumulative loose tolerances are at play on some .

Has anyone spoken to Yukon or other gear manufacturers ?

Surely this isn't all Jeep specific. I wonder if other vehicle encounter this .

This entire thread has been about dissecting the nuance of every component down to the minutest of detail to find some way to rule it out or blame it. So why doesn't every TJ have the same issue with the same components?

Very good question.

My black Rubicon I had years ago had a Currie 4" lift, 33s, and had no vibration at all whatsoever. I could take it to 90 mph and there was nothing like this whatsoever.

I always wondered why some of them had it and others didn't. @psrivats have talked about this in person and we can't figure it out either.

Very good question.

My black Rubicon I had years ago had a Currie 4" lift, 33s, and had no vibration at all whatsoever. I could take it to 90 mph and there was nothing like this whatsoever.

I always wondered why some of them had it and others didn't. @psrivats have talked about this in person and we can't figure it out either.
Did that Rubicon have new axle gearing?

I have a slight pulsing vibe at near 70 after both regears that comes from the front and goes away I pull the shaft .

I also just remembered I have a worn passenger side upper control arm mount on the front differential ,I'm going to see if fixing that does anything .

I think that issue goes back to the awful Skyjacker kit that was on it .

Yes, 4.88 Revolution gears.
The mystery deepens. I will be checking out @MutantNinjaTJ's rig when he has it broken in from his recent 4.56 gear install. Not exactly the same, as he has a 6-speed, but some have had issues even with 4.56.

If I could be even close to assured my Rubicon would end up as vibe-free as your black one, I'd be making an appointment asap for a 4.88 gear change.

The mystery deepens. I will be checking out @MutantNinjaTJ's rig when he has it broken in from his recent 4.56 gear install. Not exactly the same, as he has a 6-speed, but some have had issues even with 4.56.
I'm 4:56 with a pulsing vibe at 66-70.

After reading the post you had where you tightened so many things on someone's rig it made me wonder if cumulative loose tolerances are at play on some .
I'm sure I've mentioned this before but I built a rig for a friend. It started as a POS LCG build with horrible everything on it including inverted T steering. It was almost undriveable and herding it down the road was more accurate of how it drove. I noted several things that were shot and loose in the steering and fixed them because I had the parts to do so. On the test drive, instant DW and he never had a single instance of it happening. So, is it tightening up all the loose tolerances or loosening all the tight tolerances?

Reactions: psrivats
I'm sure I've mentioned this before but I built a rig for a friend. It started as a POS LCG build with horrible everything on it including inverted T steering. It was almost undriveable and herding it down the road was more accurate of how it drove. I noted several things that were shot and loose in the steering and fixed them because I had the parts to do so. On the test drive, instant DW and he never had a single instance of it happening. So, is it tightening up all the loose tolerances or loosening all the tight tolerances?
Got ya- , you have so much experience , you think very expansively .

I can relate in my field -construction-did the caulk keep the water out or keep it in ?

I have had the thought that it is either something simple , or something very complex .

I've searched a lot to find a common theme in these vibrating Jeeps and I fail to understand why with two seemingly similar rigs (model year, type of trans, lift height, driveshafts, tires, gear ratio, sye/no sye and so forth), one vibrates and the other doesn't.

@Chris' old black TJ and mine are pretty close in what they have and we've talked a little to see if there is anything I missed to take into account. Unfortunately we were not able to find a pattern .. I wish we had that TJ to check alongside mine.

These days I wonder if it has more to do with how the components have worn together than the actual choice of components themselves.

If I could be even close to assured my Rubicon would end up as vibe-free as your black one, I'd be making an appointment asap for a 4.88 gear change.

Yep, it seems there is no rhyme and reason. In fact, I would be willing to bet more people don't have the harmonic vibration after re-gearing than those who do. But, as is the nature of the internet, you only read about the bad stuff.

It's really a gamble though, that's for sure.

Yep, it seems there is no rhyme and reason. In fact, I would be willing to bet more people don't have the harmonic vibration after re-gearing than those who do. But, as is the nature of the internet, you only read about the bad stuff.

It's really a gamble though, that's for sure.
I figure the odds are low ....and the odds of being disgusted are really high if it happens too.

I'll regear every Jeep I own with oversized tires from now own .

Last summer I perfected the vibe free re gear . Jeep wouldn't roll , but you could sit in it for hours and feel nothing .

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
Unless it was being trailered the mileage would be 0. The gas savings on the other hand would be incredible!

Reactions: AndyG
Since the vibration is cyclical and mph affects it has anyone changed unit bearings? They can get set marks in the races from high impacts or just wear out from use and abuse. I got rid of DW by doing that and ball joints, but for a short while before the DW showed it’s ugly head I had a similar vibration at 45 to 55. My DW would happen at those speeds once it started. Just a thought, they are $90 a side and not that hard to change.

Since the vibration is cyclical and mph affects it has anyone changed unit bearings? They can get set marks in the races from high impacts or just wear out from use and abuse. I got rid of DW by doing that and ball joints, but for a short while before the DW showed it’s ugly head I had a similar vibration at 45 to 55. My DW would happen at those speeds once it started. Just a thought, they are $90 a side and not that hard to change.

I changed mine . It didn't affect the vibe...but I think it's is a great idea to always watch those ... especially for handling issues .

I can see how they they could be in the mix in some cases. ..my gear shop agrees.