Harsh ride issues: Would OME medium duty kit make a difference?

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
I just bought a "99 TJ and the ride is pretty harsh. Stock jeep. No lift. Stock bumpers no winch or extra weight.

If I put an OME medium duty kit on it (springs, shocks etc.) will the ride difference be that noticeable? I'm hoping for a much softer ride on the street. This is a daily driver. Or should I just start with new OME shocks? And see what that does?

Is there a better deal on the kit than this https://www.rocky-road.com/old-man-emu-tj.html They want $860. The shocks alone are $107 each. I assume there is not a similar shock for less?

I'm also having the upper and lower control arms replaced today. Will that help any? The bushings were shot according to the dealer inspection. I don't imagine it will.

Lastly, while driving on the street what is an acceptable low PSI to try to soften things out a bit? Will just have like 255's or 265's on it after this week. Just trying to figure out every way I can smooth out the ride that I can.

Inappropriate shocks and/or overinflated tires are the causes of stiff rides, not the springs.

OME Nitrocharger shocks used to have a great ride but then OME replaced that shock with the Nitrocharger Sport which is much stiffer. A good riding shock that would very likely help is Rancho's newer gas-charged RS5000x, not to be confused with their older very stiff hydraulic RS5000.

What size tires are installed right now and exactly what pressure is in them?

Agreed. Almost all of your ride quality issues are related to shocks and tire pressure.

The current tires are 30 or 31/10.5r15. Would love to know what rims they are. They have the Jeep emblem. (It's at the shop now. Or I'd go look re: 30-31. Either way they're too big.) They rub pretty good. And are really old and cracked. I want to get them replaced Thursday.

I can pick up a set of JK rims with 255's on them for $200. But only about 30% tread left. So I found new 265's (just the tires) for $350. Plus I need spacers. So that's like $650 for a set of rims and tires. Maybe I'll find a better set of JK rims and tires by Thursday with more tread. I just missed a new set this week. They go up on craigslist pretty often. IDK. We'll see. Or maybe I'll just rock the 30% tread for a bit. Until I can afford the new tires too. WIsh I was made of money. lol.

Thank you for the info on the shocks. That saves me a ton. Really really appreciate that. Where's the best place to buy the RAncho 5000x's?

Lastly, if I eventually add OME springs will that make the ride stiffer? Moreso with the 2.5 lift HD versions? Or less with the 1.5 lift MD versions? Or is there a better set of springs for ride quality than the OME ones? I wouldn't mind lifting it a bit. But not at the expense of ride quality on the street. I do plan to take it on old logging roads. But no offroading in my future.

I can't wait to paint those fender flares! Driving me nuts. Looks like sh*t. lol. Has to be the worst greying I've ever seen on a Jeep.

I'm overwhelmed by the positive response here. Very unlike a couple other forums I belong too. Thank you all. Nice to meet you. And hopefully I can return the favor in the future.

20181216_155005.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: KCsTJ
If you're going for JK wheels/tires check the load rating of those tires. 17's generally are a "E" rated tire and would make the ride even worse. Stick with the stock 15's if you can and put some 30x9.50x15 tires on there.

Reactions: jjvw
I'd avoid mounting any tires that are not Load Range C rated. LR D and LR E tires are made much stiffer to support heavier vehicles. D & E LR tires will ride more stiffly and they'd need to be aired down more on the trail to provide traction to a LR C tire. Odds are very good those metric size tires you're looking at are D or E, most are in Jeep sizes.

And X2 to the recommendation to stay with 15" wheels and tires.

If you're going for JK wheels/tires check the load rating of those tires. 17's generally are a "E" rated tire and would make the ride even worse. Stick with the stock 15's if you can and put some 30x9.50x15 tires on there.

Problem is I kind of blew my money on this Jeep. Just got it on Sunday for $6000. 139k. 4.0 automatic. I did pretty good. Especially considering Los Angeles prices on Jeeps. Seems there's a $1000 to $2000 premium put on these - over blue book private party value. Compared to the rest of the nation.

I did extensive craigslist research before buying. I must have looked at every Jeep for sale in America over the last two months. So I have limited funds at the moment for new rims and tires. But this gives me pause. Maybe I should just wait until I can afford a new set of rims and tires. Buy once. Cry once?

The only other inexpensive "15 rim is the original Jeep rims that came on it. Those real concave ones? But I'm not a huge fan. I'm open to suggestions. I could buy a set of black steel rims off Summit for almost $250 or $300 for a set of 4. And then find some 30's.

Thanks for pointing this out. MAybe I'll just wait. I could afford them in a few weeks.

The current tires are 30 or 31/10.5r15. Would love to know what rims they are. They have the Jeep emblem. (It's at the shop now. Or I'd go look re: 30-31. Either way they're too big.) They rub pretty good. And are really old and cracked. I want to get them replaced Thursday.

I can pick up a set of JK rims with 255's on them for $200. But only about 30% tread left. So I found new 265's (just the tires) for $350. Plus I need spacers. So that's like $650 for a set of rims and tires. Maybe I'll find a better set of JK rims and tires by Thursday with more tread. I just missed a new set this week. They go up on craigslist pretty often. IDK. We'll see. Or maybe I'll just rock the 30% tread for a bit. Until I can afford the new tires too. WIsh I was made of money. lol.

Thank you for the info on the shocks. That saves me a ton. Really really appreciate that. Where's the best place to buy the RAncho 5000x's?

Lastly, if I eventually add OME springs will that make the ride stiffer? Moreso with the 2.5 lift HD versions? Or less with the 1.5 lift MD versions? Or is there a better set of springs for ride quality than the OME ones? I wouldn't mind lifting it a bit. But not at the expense of ride quality on the street. I do plan to take it on old logging roads. But no offroading in my future.

I can't wait to paint those fender flares! Driving me nuts. Looks like sh*t. lol. Has to be the worst greying I've ever seen on a Jeep.

I'm overwhelmed by the positive response here. Very unlike a couple other forums I belong too. Thank you all. Nice to meet you. And hopefully I can return the favor in the future.

View attachment 68312

You have the OEM Grizzly rims, same as my 99'.

Grizzly

GrizzlyWheel.gif

* 15x7 aluminum
* 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern
* Backspacing = 5.5"
* Offset = +38 mm

What's wrong with the wheels that are on it in your pic?

Nothing. Really. I just preferred the look of the JK rims and they usually come with free tires attached. lol. Just trying to save money. And spend it on other things I want to do to it. But ride quality is at the top of the list. So I think I'll shop around for a set of rims I like. And some tires. Just didn't really want to drop a grand on tires and wheels right now. I'll weigh the decision and figure it out soon. Maybe I'll just do the JK rims for now. While I'm saving up for better rims and tires. I could rock those jk rims with 30% tread for long enough to afford a new set.

ARe my rims worth anything? I don't see them come up very often - if ever - on craigslist.

I'd wait until your funds replenish enough to go with aluminum wheels if you don't like your current aluminum wheels. Steel wheels are too easily dented and bent on the rocks so common to our SoCal mountain and desert trails.

I switched to steel 15 years ago but went back to aluminum a year later. I couldn't keep the steel wheels straight enough to reliably hold air from wheeling on the rocks on our local trails.

This is a photo of a local friend's steel wheel after a tough weekend wheeling on rocks.

SteelWheelBent.jpg

This is my previous TJ in 2003 during my short experimental period on steel wheels. Never again will I run steel wheels on a TJ that spends much time wheeling on rocky trails.

DSCF0063.JPG

Reactions: Chris
I'd avoid mounting any tires that are not Load Range C rated. LR D and LR E tires are made much stiffer to support heavier vehicles. D & E LR tires will ride more stiffly and they'd need to be aired down more on the trail to provide traction to a LR C tire. Odds are very good those metric size tires you're looking at are D or E, most are in Jeep sizes.

And X2 to the recommendation to stay with 15" wheels and tires.

I've read this before - alot. I think your right and I think I should save up for the "right" set of tires and wheels. In the meantime buy those $300 JK's and spacers. Just for safety sake. These tires I have now are seriously old and worn out. But I'm gonna shop around first. Maybe the "right" set isn't so far out of reach in the next week or two financially. Any recommendations? Say a cheap set of black steel rims from Summit and a tires from...?

I'd wait until your funds replenish enough to go with aluminum wheels if you don't like your current aluminum wheels. Steel wheels are too easily dented and bent on the rocks so common to our SoCal mountain and desert trails.

I switched to steel 15 years ago but went back to aluminum a year later. I couldn't keep the steel wheels straight enough to reliably hold air from wheeling on the rocks on our local trails.

This is a photo of a local friend's steel wheel after a tough weekend wheeling on rocks.

View attachment 68321

This is my previous TJ in 2003 during my short experimental period on steel wheels. Never again will I run steel wheels on a TJ that spends much time wheeling on rocky trails.

View attachment 68322

Wow. I see what your saying. I don't have any plans to offroad at all. I'm moving to the PNW this year though. But only plan to drive logging roads. And not alot of rock on the westside of WA. Where we plan to live. So I think I might be ok with steel. But man. That's good to know. Didn't realize they trash so easily.