Harsh ride issues: Would OME medium duty kit make a difference?

Only on full lock when turning. I try to avoid that as much as I can.
That tire size also will rub the fender sheet metal when the front axle articulates. Any tire 31" and taller needs some bump stop extension to prevent this.

Reactions: fuse
Total stock 98 TJ here with same 15" Grizzly wheels, 235x15 C rated side wall A/T tires running 26 PSI on my rough heavily patched county roads and highways.

I had a tight front end with 63K miles but a little vibration at 55-60 I could not balance out, most likely the tires that came on it are a little out of round. I put on a set of the Centramatic balancers. $180 with free shipping. Helped my original vibration problem quite a bit.

But a Huge Big side effect bonus. Above 30 MPH the cracks, tar strips, patched chugholes, etc, all the sharp edges that jarred my teeth are now much smoother. I felt it immediately, a friend who did not know what I had done commented about the nicer riding "shocks" I installed. Nope, same shocks, only added the balancers. I highly recommend them just from that aspect. 300-345 is the part number I purchased from hitchworks, they were a few dollars less than direct.

This added bonus was well worth the money by itself for me, I guess your experience could vary.

Reactions: JMT
Kind of off topic, but that soft top looks like it’s seen better days, especially if it’s been in the LA sun for years. If you’re going up north where it rains a lot I would also prioritize getting a fresh soft or hard top.

FWIW that’s a really sharp looking Jeep even in stock form! Congrats!

FWIW, the Stock JK tires will be C load range. I saw a post that said they might not be...but they are.

Honestly, though, just buy some replacement tires if you want to keep it stock. Replace your shocks, and set your pressure accordingly. Its never going to ride like a car, but it shouldn't be terrible.

YOu can get some decent all terrains, pretty inexpensively, and you don't need to worry about adapters and all that. For instance, you can get these HanKooks for less than 100 bucks a tire in the factory size

1545225887809.png

Installed, your probably looking at 500 bucks out the door.

OR you can go with a 31 for a bit more money

1545225994085.png

Reactions: KCsTJ
FWIW, the Stock JK tires will be C load range. I saw a post that said they might not be...but they are.

Honestly, though, just buy some replacement tires if you want to keep it stock. Replace your shocks, and set your pressure accordingly. Its never going to ride like a car, but it shouldn't be terrible.

YOu can get some decent all terrains, pretty inexpensively, and you don't need to worry about adapters and all that. For instance, you can get these HanKooks for less than 100 bucks a tire in the factory size

View attachment 68442

Installed, your probably looking at 500 bucks out the door.

OR you can go with a 31 for a bit more money

View attachment 68443
I'm running the Hankooks on my Tacoma as we speak, and plan to put the same Toyos on my Rubicon next. The Toyos are one of the few tires that come in a load range C in the LT265/75-16 size...

Last edited:
@moab, one thing to consider, cost-wise, is wheel adapters are needed to run JK wheels on a TJ, so factor a set of those in. Also, there's a good chance the stock JK tire size will rub somewhat on an unlifted TJ.

I'm also having the upper and lower control arms replaced today. Will that help any? The bushings were shot according to the dealer inspection. I don't imagine it will.

I just replaced the control arms on my 05, and it made a noticeable difference. I did them one set at a time, and the lower control arms made the biggest improvement.

There's lots of good advice here about shocks and tire pressure. But new rubber in your control arms will help too.

While you're at it, consider a new set of body mounts. If the control arms are shot, chances are the body mounts are too. The Crown set is relatively inexpensive, and installation is easy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009XUZ8QY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

@moab, some of your posts indicate you are not listening to what everyone is saying here. Springs will not have any noticeable effect on ride quality. That is controlled by your shocks and tire pressure. Don't listen to marketing gimmicks like, "Our shocks are tuned to our springs." That only makes you think that THEIR springs will ride better with THEIR shocks. It's a gimmick.

If you're rubbing just add a few washers to the steering stops. A stock TJ can run 31's with a little added bumpstop. This thread has good info throughout. Get what springs you want and Rancho 5000X shocks and run 28psi for those tires and your ride will improve. Simple. You also sound like you have some good income flow. So wait and save up and do it right the first time. No need to rush with the rate of $$$ you seem to have coming in. You'll be much happier.