Has anybody removed the center console and customized the shifters?

Looking into this myself. I hate the stock accordion shifter booth setup when it's super cold out. If I can keep the cup holders and center locking console I would love to go "old school" with the shifter boots and setup.

I put a B&M sport short shifter in my 05 6-speed. Ran them in other Wranglers and like how it shortens/tightens up the shift stroke as well as solving the infamous popping out of gear issue. Being the lever travels nearly 50% less distance it helps with bunching up the shift boot etc.

Also got rid of that “parking brake” T-case shift lever and replaced with a regular straight lever and matching shift knob. Haven’t replaced my center console back in the TJ yet. Kind of liking the old school look of the visible mounting plate with the seal boot showing. I might just leave it and install a rubber boot over the T-case shifter to make it all match.

View attachment 100655
Where did you get the shifter knobs ?

I put a B&M sport short shifter in my 05 6-speed. Ran them in other Wranglers and like how it shortens/tightens up the shift stroke as well as solving the infamous popping out of gear issue. Being the lever travels nearly 50% less distance it helps with bunching up the shift boot etc.

Also got rid of that “parking brake” T-case shift lever and replaced with a regular straight lever and matching shift knob. Haven’t replaced my center console back in the TJ yet. Kind of liking the old school look of the visible mounting plate with the seal boot showing. I might just leave it and install a rubber boot over the T-case shifter to make it all match.

View attachment 100655

What is needed to change the T-case shifter other then the knob?

Just thought I’d show what I ended up with after this thread inspired me over a year ago to get rid of my hated plastic console. It was the photo with the carpet and rubber boots that did it for me lol only I decided to use a sheet of aluminum and make a hump cover painted to match my bedliner and fab up some boots and rings since I couldn’t find any that would fit or install the way I wanted. the whole shabang comes out with hex keys and the boots will be easily replaceable in the future. It really makes the cockpit seem roomier and I’m enjoying it thus far and I don’t miss the mini van look. Still playing with ideas of remounting the passenger airbag switch somewhere but for now it’s tied up under the passenger dash if I decide I want it.

72A4CDD3-9ACD-4E83-ADB4-1224278FBAE4.jpeg

94635570-7BF3-4EB3-9B64-909F7F75094C.jpeg

BE66B9D3-BECE-4348-BDB2-DA44A78D38E1.jpeg

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.