Has anybody removed the center console and customized the shifters?

ac_

zombicon
Supporting Member
I replaced my transfer case shifter with a custom one. It is pretty sharp. I like it a lot, but it is having clearance problems with the console. I was wondering if anybody has taken their console out, and did something custom instead? Please show off with pictures if possible. I am looking for ideas for a custom clean replacement for the console.

Cheers,

I put a B&M sport short shifter in my 05 6-speed. Ran them in other Wranglers and like how it shortens/tightens up the shift stroke as well as solving the infamous popping out of gear issue. Being the lever travels nearly 50% less distance it helps with bunching up the shift boot etc.

Also got rid of that “parking brake” T-case shift lever and replaced with a regular straight lever and matching shift knob. Haven’t replaced my center console back in the TJ yet. Kind of liking the old school look of the visible mounting plate with the seal boot showing. I might just leave it and install a rubber boot over the T-case shifter to make it all match.

76B56F12-EA91-4726-92F5-F142A7540C06.jpeg

Last edited:
I replaced my transfer case shifter with a custom one. It is pretty sharp. I like it a lot, but it is having clearance problems with the console. I was wondering if anybody has taken their console out, and did something custom instead? Please show off with pictures if possible. I am looking for ideas for a custom clean replacement for the console.

Cheers,
This thread is worthless without pics

You didn’t think I’d let you get by did ya?

Here's a project I've been working on

View attachment 100771

View attachment 100772

That is perfect. I have the same shfter set up and I want to do this if you don't mind. can you tell me what console you have and what boots you have?

It looks like the shift boot is stock, but I would like to replace that with something that has a bezel. This is close to exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the shot. Was there anything you had to do to bolt the transfer case shift boot?

I didn't even think about the console yet, but I like that too. That would be an awesome way to sneak in a woofer in my old TJ.

@JMT you have been in my jeep so you already know, but here is a pic to remind you!

But now with the new transfer case cable this shifter won't work in the console anymore. so I wanted something custom and I like the old skool look.

That is perfect. I have the same shfter set up and I want to do this if you don't mind. can you tell me what console you have and what boots you have?

It looks like the shift boot is stock, but I would like to replace that with something that has a bezel. This is close to exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the shot. Was there anything you had to do to bolt the transfer case shift boot?

I didn't even think about the console yet, but I like that too. That would be an awesome way to sneak in a woofer in my old TJ.

@JMT you have been in my jeep so you already know, but here is a pic to remind you!

View attachment 100955

But now with the new transfer case cable this shifter won't work in the console anymore. so I wanted something custom and I like the old skool look.

I don't mind at all. To be honest I didn't even come up with the idea, I went off of this guy's write-up.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/...-case-shifter-1326714/#/topics/1326714?page=1I've only been adding my personal touches when I get new ideas.

The shift boot is stock, I just wrapped it around the inner boot for now. For the transfer case boot I went searching around vehicles in the pull a part near me. I found the one I am using in a Chevy tracker. It fits nice and I am currently working on a bezel that will wrap around both boots and include some usb chargers. I will add pictures when I am finnished.

You might also be interested in looking at the 1 peice shift boot that came in yj's. They come with a metal bezel that you could attach to the floor with some screws.

For the console I was able to take out the front part because I luckily have a two peice console. But if you don't you could cut it in half as the guy did. The cup holder insert still stays in nicely without the front part.

Reactions: Ehallspqr and ac_
I put a B&M sport short shifter in my 05 6-speed. Ran them in other Wranglers and like how it shortens/tightens up the shift stroke as well as solving the infamous popping out of gear issue. Being the lever travels nearly 50% less distance it helps with bunching up the shift boot etc.

Also got rid of that “parking brake” T-case shift lever and replaced with a regular straight lever and matching shift knob. Haven’t replaced my center console back in the TJ yet. Kind of liking the old school look of the visible mounting plate with the seal boot showing. I might just leave it and install a rubber boot over the T-case shifter to make it all match.

View attachment 100655

How was the install with the short throw shifter? Is it done from the topside only?

I don't mind at all. To be honest I didn't even come up with the idea, I went off of this guy's write-up.
https://Jeep Forum/forum/f9/half-co...-case-shifter-1326714/#/topics/1326714?page=1I've only been adding my personal touches when I get new ideas.

The shift boot is stock, I just wrapped it around the inner boot for now. For the transfer case boot I went searching around vehicles in the pull a part near me. I found the one I am using in a Chevy tracker. It fits nice and I am currently working on a bezel that will wrap around both boots and include some usb chargers. I will add pictures when I am finnished.

You might also be interested in looking at the 1 peice shift boot that came in yj's. They come with a metal bezel that you could attach to the floor with some screws.

For the console I was able to take out the front part because I luckily have a two peice console. But if you don't you could cut it in half as the guy did. The cup holder insert still stays in nicely without the front part.
Thanks for that. The link doesn't seem to be working. but yeah please keep me posted with updates. I did think about the YJ boott too. I haven't looked at it yet because I just got my cable in a couple days ago and found out my console wont work. I did look in ebay but they were more than I wanted to pay to experiment. I was kind of thinking about like a 72 blazer with a manual boots. I think I may do what you did and checkout the wrecking yard and see what I can find or maybe even craigslist. I do like the old school look.

Righ tnow I have my dual battery switch and usb charger on my console so now I will have to find another place to put those too. i will keep you posted on what I find too. Thanks for replying because that is really what I was looking for.

How was the install with the short throw shifter? Is it done from the topside only?

For TJ’s it’s all done from the top unlike those poor slobs with a JK 6-spd that have to deal with that donut seal, drop the gas tank and other nonsense.

For TJ’s: Pull the center console and inner boot, unbolt your old shifter, bolt in the B&M. Under an hour unless your fasteners that hold your boot are rusted and spin. You know how that goes, but if everything goes smoothly certainly less than a hour. Depending if you have an earlier 5-spd or later 6-spd there are two versions B&M short shifters that fit either. Really tightens up the shift stroke, keeps your hand away from the dash. Somewhat notchy but very precise shifts, if you’ve ever had a muscle car with a Hurst or B&M shifter you know what I mean.

For TJ’s it’s all done from the top unlike those poor slobs with a JK 6-spd that have to deal with that donut seal, drop the gas tank and other nonsense.

For TJ’s: Pull the center console and inner boot, unbolt your old shifter, bolt in the B&M. Under an hour unless your fasteners that hold your boot are rusted and spin. You know how that goes, but if everything goes smoothly certainly less than a hour. Depending if you have an earlier 5-spd or later 6-spd there are two versions B&M short shifters that fit either. Really tightens up the shift stroke, keeps your hand away from the dash. Somewhat notchy but very precise shifts, if you’ve ever had a muscle car with a Hurst or B&M shifter you know what I mean.
Do you have a link?

So doing some reading I am finding that the breather is on the stock cover that gets replaced. Did you have to do anything for a breather when replacing this?
So doing some reading I am finding that the breather is on the stock cover that gets replaced. Did you have to do anything for a breather when replacing this?

Awesome idea! For those of you who have done this, did you have to relocate the passenger airbag module? If so what were your solutions?