Has anyone done any DIY project like the Up Down Air System?

I made an octopus hose rig 20 years ago for airing up/down but it turned out to be a colossal waste of time & $$$. My biggest problem was it was still SLOW since the valves were still inside the tire stems. Not to mention that when used to air my tires down, the air pressure wasn't even in all four tires. I never figured that issue out which seemed odd given its common manifold.

octopusjpg.jpg

I have some of the items to build one in my amazon cart but I’ve never pulled the trigger.

As Jerry said, airing down would be slow.

I think airing up would be nice but I also think I’d be better off spending my money on a second on board air compressor rather than more hoses.

I made my own system like above and it is great. It takes less time to hook up and air down than friends doing each by hand and that's total time start to finish and back in the rig. If they had screw on air bleeders they'd probably be faster. Big advantage is I can hook all the tires up to the compressor at once and forget about it when I air up. All tires always are set at the same pressure. I don't have the pressure difference issue but I let mine settle for a few seconds. Mine is made of 1/4 flexzilla and quick connects just like the one above but mine has four sections so it is very modular.

15676979259830.jpg

The gauge is a 15psi gas line pressure gauge. Precise at low pressures. You just put your thumb over the hole to stop the flow when the pressure is what you want airing down then disconnect the gauge.

Reactions: LakeBeard
I just ordered parts from mcmaster carr to setup a system. It will run in a permanent line that leads to a port thru the body near each tire, to which I connect a short pigtail from there to the tire, so I will need to stow only the 4 pigtails (not a big deal, but what the heck). I anticipate slow air down because it's basically the same as pushing down on the schrader, but I'm not so much in a rush as I am looking for not having to kneel down and wait. When finished I should be able to stand up and wait! :cool:

Reactions: TJim