Has anyone ever built a homemade overhead camper for a TJ?

You can often back out if you can drive in; sometimes, however, you either cannot do so in a timely fashion, or you cannot do so at all.

In the picture you posted, backing is possible; likewise, the drop-and-pick maneuver depicted is a very good option, because the room to do either option is present. Now, refer to the picture I posted: 30" of water, a solid track about 7' wide, and totally unknown terrain ahead and to either side. You can neither back out of that road, nor can you drop, maneuver and re-hitch a trailer; you can drag it in, but until you hit a clear patch that allows maneuvering, you cannot maneuver the trailer in any other way.

So, let's be accurate: backing is sometimes possible, and maneuvering is sometimes possible. At other times, neither can be accomplished; as a result, unknown roads - and what I posted is about as bad as it normally gets - are no place for trailers, and they should not be taken into those areas.
149705465-Ringo_gun_to_head.jpg

I like what this guy did. It's a bit rough in spots, no offence to the builder, but the concept is quite good. He eliminated the passenger's seat which would only be good if you camp, fish, hunt, etc. on your own. He did it to his TJ but I could see an LJ version of this to be even better.

Last edited:
In my TLC days, I did something similar by removing the pass. seat, adding plywood, an air matt. and a mummy bag. Good times.