Has anyone ever messed with your Jeep when the top is off?

Rook

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Has anyone here ever had anyone mess with their Jeep when you had the top or doors off in the Summer? It hasn't happened yet, but I was just curious if it's been a issue for anyone...

Hasn't happened to me yet. We live in a nice low crime area (in fact, our city is in the top 20 lowest crime cities in the US I believe) so maybe that has something to do with it.

However, when we park outside with the top and doors off during the Summer, I always leave everything unlocked (i.e. glovebox) so that people can clearly see there's nothing worth stealing at all.

hasn't happened to me but a buddy I know had his soft top slashed with a knife. I would have been so pissed off

I made the mistake of leaving my open Jeep out in my driveway and they stole my Garmin GPS, my favorite offroad hat, a jacket, and other misc. stuff. Not to mention that TJ was stolen a year or two later out of my company parking lot. :mad:

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 01tj4.0
No, that was my previous '97 TJ when SKIM wasn't yet available. But that wouldn't have helped anyway since they dragged it backwards out of my parking space with a flatbed tow truck and loaded it up on the flatbed. A witness said the whole thing took about a minute and they never tried to start it.

No, that was my previous '97 TJ when SKIM wasn't yet available. But that wouldn't have helped anyway since they dragged it backwards out of my parking space with a flatbed tow truck and loaded it up on the flatbed. A witness said the whole thing took about a minute and they never tried to start it.

WTF!? Wow... Those guys must have came prepared really wanting a TJ. That's insane! I thought they hot-wired it or something.

WTF!? Wow... Those guys must have came prepared really wanting a TJ. That's insane! I thought they hot-wired it or something.
The cops think the thieves noticed my TJ driving around and followed me back to my office. My company was way back in an industrial complex at the end of a dead-end road that had very little traffic so that made sense to me.

The cops think the thieves noticed my TJ driving around and followed me back to my office. My company was way back in an industrial complex at the end of a dead-end road that had very little traffic so that made sense to me.

That must have been the case. They were probably tailing you for a while and may have been for days or weeks.

Either way, that's pretty messed up.

I never put my top on and so far no one has taken anything. Several people have walked up and said they turned my lights off for me so I was glad there was no roof. My car has auto lights and remembering to turn off the ones on the jeep drives me crazy. I have a hat, sunglasses and spare pair of shoes as well as some PB blaster and armor wipes so not a lot to encourage people to steal it. If they want that pioneer stereo I'd rather make it easy to get than slit a vinyl window. I leave my top half doors and have left my golf clubs in a number of times and stopped at the store. Only issue I ever had was finding a guy waiting to ask where I got my Callaway driver that was sticking out of the rain cover on the bag.

Reactions: Chris
My jeep was messed with at a concert. I had come straight from working at a beach club so I didn't have my doors or windows on. I didn't notice until days later but someone had left an empty beer bottle on the passenger side floor next to the door sill where I would never notice unless I went over there. My brother has had a carton of eggs left in his, and he has a viper alarm system that one time at college started going off because two idiots thought it'd be funny to sit in the jeep since it didn't have any doors on

I have came up on people looking inside, then garunteed (sic) "I always wanted a jeep like this, just wanting to see what it looked like inside".. I have always thought about sitting back and watching to see if anyone would ever get up in drivers seat since doors were off, I might do that next summer. A friend used to get all nervous and always wanted me to lock my doors.. I said really? Even top on, doors on a door lock a jeep is rather ... dumb. If they are gonna steal something they gonna get it. A buddy of mine got both doors stolen in Atlanta couple summers ago. As a general rule of thumb I go by: Never leave anything in your jeep you are not willing to part with, doors included.

Reactions: WallyWest and Chris
If they are gonna steal something they gonna get it.

Precisely why I always leave things unlocked (i.e. my glovebox and such). I figure if someone is going to steal something they are going to get it no matter what. Might as well leave things unlocked so they (hopefully) don't break anything in the process. And hey, once they open everything up they'll see there's noting of value to steal.

I never keep anything in my JEEP. I never lock the consul or the glove box. Hell when the soft top is on I dont even lock the doors.

Reactions: Chris
Had these stickers fabbed up after some waste of life stole/destroyed my favorite XJ. Not even being cute. Seriously hope they're dead.
Being that I'll probably never find another one like mine, I would have to make sure that the car thief would never be able to thieve again.

1571967737921177866986.jpg

My neighbor left his garage door opener in his truck. They broke the window, opened the garage, went in the house, took his wallet and her purse, took the keys and both her car and the truck. Some time between midnight and 5 am.

Some people suck. If they want in, your car is fair game, Jeep or not.

I find you in my house, you're leaving in a bag. Cameras will show you coming in, dogs will greet you.

We live in a low crime area, but not a no crime area.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoundlessBasu
Alright, @Francis Perry, what are you doing? You are calling up threads that died 4+ years ago. I mean, really? I thought I read a lot. You are digging up old graves. Crazy. Not being critical. It’s just kind of funny.

Reactions: Vasq