Has anyone ever tried to trade you for your TJ?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
The other day I was at the mall. When I came out to my Wrangler after I had finished shopping, there was some guy parked next to me in a 2006 Nissan 350Z who was gawking over my Jeep.

Anyways, he started talking to me about how nice it was and how he was selling his 350Z to get one. He then offered to trade me straight across. I laughed and told him the Jeep was worth more, then he opened his hood and showed me what lies beneath.

A freshly built engine with 4K miles on the engine and transmission. An APS turbo kit running 10 psi and 489hp at the wheels on a "safe" street tune.

Anyways, I told him no, but in a way it made me feel good about my Wrangler knowing that someone wanted it that bad. I managed to look his car up on Craigslist later that day, and low and behold I found it.

Anyone else have any stories like this?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Reactions: Duan
I have never been offered a trade like that, but I have had quite a few people offer to buy my Jeep. I always say no, but it does make you feel good to know someone wants what you have

Reactions: Chris
I have never been offered a trade like that, but I have had quite a few people offer to buy my Jeep. I always say no, but it does make you feel good to know someone wants what you have

It sure does! And of course I always say no, unless that is someone offered me some absurd amount of money or some sort of trade that would be stupid of me not to accept!

I've had a few people ask me how much I would want for the Jeep. I always say more than you're willing to pay because I'd want more than it's worth. I love my Jeep and wouldn't sell it for just any old reason.

Last edited:
About 2x a week people offer to buy/trade .. There are a couple gas stations where I won't even stop anymore becuase of people asking questions. 2 weeks ago a guy stopped me asking if I was selling/trading.. He wanted a pre 97 with square headlights, something about a heavier frame... While I was talking to him, another guy came up, "Did you say you was selling your jeep?" About 10 secs after that another dude came up...

Reactions: Duan and Chris
That is annoying when you get those guys at gas stations who just won't stop talking... I have that happen all to much. It's nice for a 1 minute conversation, but when it drags on and then others get involved... You're like just let me get out of here!

I've been to the Honda dealer in my jeep to get light bulb for my CR-Z. When I came out there was a salesman waiting and wanted to know was I trading it in. He was kinda pushy about how they could give me an awesome price. I told him they don't have anything I'd trade for and with all her repairs he couldn't afford to buy and resell her.

I've been to the Honda dealer in my jeep to get light bulb for my CR-Z. When I came out there was a salesman waiting and wanted to know was I trading it in. He was kinda pushy about how they could give me an awesome price. I told him they don't have anything I'd trade for and with all her repairs he couldn't afford to buy and resell her.

Haha, some asshat salesman at a dealer did a similar thing to me. He offered me 13k trade-in on my 2005 Rubicon. I laughed... What a lowball offer considering they sell for 19-20k in my area EASILY.

I was just asked today if I'd sell it. It's a frequent occurrence. I always laugh and then look the person in the eye and with a look of seriousness and a tone of firmness in my voice say "No. Never."

Hell to the naw!

Good job on NOT trading him, haha!
I had just spent 4 months going thru it from bumper to bumper and it was in tip top shape and looked good, no way would I even consider a trade. He was sure surprised I turned him down without consideration.

No but Wranglers have always been the easiest vehicles to sell.
And if you buy used... you can almost sell for as much as you paid.
Try that with a 350Z.

Isn't that the truth. It seems that a nice and clean TJ almost holds its value entirely if you take care of it.

I traded my side x side UTV to some kid for my 2001 TJ plus he gave me cash to settle the difference in value. I wasn't looking to get rid of it but I never really used the UTV and now I have a spare rig to putz around with. It was a great day for me nonetheless. And it has proven to be a great swap! :D

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk