Has anyone had issues with jam nuts loosening on Savvy's aluminum tie rod?

williambmac

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
To those of you that have been running the aluminum tie rod, has anyone had an issue with the jam nuts loosening and what did you do to fix it?

I've had this on my vehicle for about 6 months, and find that the jam nuts work their way loose every few weeks.

I am not placing blame on the product, it's very nicely made.

I think what is causing it is the 120 mile round trip to work everyday (road vibration, pot holes, etc.)

I was thinking of trying one of the following:

1) remove the jam nuts, machine a slot in the tie rod and use an external clamp like the o.e. setup

or

2) drill a hole in the jam nut, tap the hole and install a set screw.

I’ve had mine on since 2018. It’s taken a beating. Jeep has undergone several changes which required readjusting the tie rod. All I’ve ever done is tighten it and never had an issue with it coming loose.

In attempt to help provide a solution to your issue, you could apply a small dab of silicon/rtv to the nut where it contacts the tie rod. Just enough to keep the nut from spinning, not enough to make a mess.

Are you rolling both tie rod ends the same direction before tightening the nuts? If the ends are rolled in opposite directions the tie rod ends will bind and could generate enough force to loosen the jam nuts.

Lots of different kinds of wrenches. I use a cheater pipe over a 3” crescent.

Are you rolling both tie rod ends the same direction before tightening the nuts? If the ends are rolled in opposite directions the tie rod ends will bind and could generate enough force to loosen the jam nuts.
No, not rolling them. wrench on the tie rod and wrench on the jam nut to lock it down.

You just need to tighten it more. If you have 75K in wrenches im assuming you have a crowsfoot and atleast a 2' 1/2" drive ratchet or breaker bar. That should do the trick. Or just use a pipe on a wrench.

Reactions: Apparition
You just need to tighten it more. If you have 75K in wrenches im assuming you have a crowsfoot and atleast a 2' 1/2" drive ratchet or breaker bar. That should do the trick. Or just use a pipe wrench
I have used a crows foot and torqued to 160 ft lbs. You can only go so tight before you start to pull the threads on either the jam nut or the tie rod itself.
So, that being said I will go back to my original plan of drilling the jam nut and installing a set screw.

I have used a crows foot and torqued to 160 ft lbs. You can only go so tight before you start to pull the threads on either the jam nut or the tie rod itself.
So, that being said I will go back to my original plan of drilling the jam nut and installing a set screw.
To quote @mrblaine : “Tight is jumping up on down on the end of a 40" long wrench.” When it comes to jam nuts.