Has anyone had success with Blue Devil rear main seal stop leak?

pixologics

TJ Enthusiast
Hi I am new to Jeep TJ and I am looking at leak from power steering near pitman arm lug nut and also in the rear main seal. I was going through some articles and saw some mention of Blue Devil products.
So, I wanted to ask TJ owners of they have had any success with the usage of these additives?

Recommended or not?

https://gobdp.com/product/rear-main-sealer-00234/
Jeep wrangler 1998 TJ 4.0 manual transmission.

Hi I am new to Jeep TJ and I am looking at leak from power steering near pitman arm lug nut and also in the rear main seal. I was going through some articles and saw some mention of Blue Devil products.
So, I wanted to ask TJ owners of they have had any success with the usage of these additives?

Recommended or not?

https://gobdp.com/product/rear-main-sealer-00234/
Jeep wrangler 1998 TJ 4.0 manual transmission.
Are you running a synthetic oil, they have a habit creating RMS leaks. Switching over to a conventional oil or a high mileage oil will help.

Reactions: Modoc Guy
Are you running a synthetic oil, they have a habit creating RMS leaks. Switching over to a conventional oil or a high mileage oil will help.
I have no idea the previous owner dod not share much technical details about maintenance.

That's easy. I can do that and see if that helps. Still wanted to know if these additives like Blue Devil helps?
Most here will recommend any CONVENTIONAL high mileage oil, the high mileage oils have additives to help stop the leaks. @Jerry Bransford and many others can attest to this, using "Mobil Super High Mileage Conventional 10w30" or 5w30 has helped numerous people with a RMS leak. Not sure about power steering though sorry I cant help on that :(

That's easy. I can do that and see if that helps. Still wanted to know if these additives like Blue Devil helps?
Engine oil additives are the modern day equivalents to snake oil fix-what-ails-you elixirs. No single additive can be compatible with and help all engine oils. Leave 'em alone and just run a good major brand high quality engine oil and leave additives on the store shelf.

Reactions: Fonz54
Most here will recommend any CONVENTIONAL high mileage oil, the high mileage oils have additives to help stop the leaks. @Jerry Bransford and many others can attest to this, using "Mobil Super High Mileage Conventional 10w30" or 5w30 has helped numerous people with a RMS leak. Not sure about power steering though sorry I cant help on that :(
I was at orielly store today and I wasn't able to locate any conventional motor oil in 10w-30 specs. All of them were synthetic or synthetic blend. There was one Orielly brander motor oil that did not have any label of synthetic. So I didn't get any.

I was at orielly store today and I wasn't able to locate any conventional motor oil in 10w-30 specs. All of them were synthetic or synthetic blend. There was one Orielly brander motor oil that did not have any label of synthetic. So I didn't get any.
youre gonna have to buy it off amazon then, its hard to come by. just make sure you get conventional.

Engine oil additives are the modern day equivalents to snake oil fix-what-ails-you elixirs. No single additive can be compatible with and help all engine oils. Leave 'em alone and just run a good major brand high quality engine oil and leave additives on the store shelf.
Thanks I am going to get conventional motor oil as suggested. Seems like that stores don't carry these too much now?
I between I picked up this jeep from Escondido!!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
youre gonna have to buy it off amazon then, its hard to come by. just make sure you get conventional.
Just looked for them and a bit surprised that prices are all over even for ship and sold by Amazon. No mobil in stock.
Valvoline $32 5qt
Pennzoil $18 5qt.
Castrol $18
Shell $24
Why so much price difference?

Thanks I am going to get conventional motor oil as suggested. Seems like that stores don't carry these too much now?
I between I picked up this jeep from Escondido!!
Get the high mileage conventional if you want the additives that some have had success with solving the RMS.

I can not locate mobil at reasonable price. Would pennzoil or castrol high mileage conventional oil perform same as mobil?

Reactions: JMT
I can not locate mobil at reasonable price. Would pennzoil or castrol high mileage conventional oil perform same as mobil?
I believe so. It may or may not work for the RMS, depends on the size of the leak. Nice if it would though. That one’s a booger to get too. If I ever do my clutch I’ll be doing the RMS at the same time.

Reactions: D M
I believe so. It may or may not work for the RMS, depends on the size of the leak. Nice if it would though. That one’s a booger to get too. If I ever do my clutch I’ll be doing the RMS at the same time.
It's kinda drop for the size of a dollar coin in rear. Front end has more leak on pitman arm bolt. Also I noticed there is some leak on valve cover. I am just trying to digest if I got a lemon. I have maintained 4runner and other japanese SUV's I have never had to get through so much leaks.

It's kinda drop for the size of a dollar coin in rear. Front end has more leak on pitman arm bolt. Also I noticed there is some leak on valve cover. I am just trying to digest if I got a lemon. I have maintained 4runner and other japanese SUV's I have never had to get through so much leaks.
Jeeps leak. Shouldn’t be a problem. If there are no leaks, you may have a problem. 😉 How many miles you got on that rig?

Unpopular opinion.. but synthetic oils do not create leaks, they just clean so good that they make already existent leaks worse or even begin to show. Additives are junk. And i would never put dinosaur bones in my engine. Best thing to do is replace that seal. And stick with a high mileage oil, or synthetic oil. Id just run with oil and keep it on check until your in need of a clutch and replace it then

Reactions: L J and JMT
Jeeps leak. Shouldn’t be a problem. If there are no leaks, you may have a problem. 😉 How many miles you got on that rig?
It has 160k miles and I believe the previous owner was using it mostly as RV tow vehicle at least for 15-20k miles during his ownership. So engine might have less wear. When I drive it I can not say there's anything wrong on engine front and seems normal to me. Other than these leaks and some vibration/noises that makes me bit disappointed.

These leaks make me take back to my Royal Enfield motorcycle which has cast iron block and I am familiar with the leak in motorcycle territory.