Has anyone installed a push button ignition?

Lukethundercock

I’m looking for anyone who has installed a push to start ignition in their Jeep. I have an 05 tj. At one point in its life it was stolen and the cylinder was knocked out. It shitted out on me and now I have a no crank. If anyone can help me with the wiring it would be appreciated

You should repair the ignition switch. When you engage the starter with the ignition switch it also turns off all the unnecessary accessories like the radio and headlights so all available current can go to the starter. All vehicles that have a dedicated starter button have this built in as part of the wiring, you can't easily just add it. If you want to just hack it I think it's the yellow wire at the ignition switch. In general you really do want all that extra stuff going off when you crank, it really helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba and Chris
I’m looking for anyone who has installed a push to start ignition in their Jeep. I have an 05 tj. At one point in its life it was stolen and the cylinder was knocked out. It shitted out on me and now I have a no crank. If anyone can help me with the wiring it would be appreciated
Also I can’t just fix the ignition switch. The cylinder was literally knocked out I start it with a screwdriver.

I ran a lead from my battery positive and another to the starter solenoid and attached to a starter switch (push button) that I bought at the auto parts store. Ran them through my firewall and mounted under my dash. Been like this now for a few years and no issues at all. Might want to give this a try. I still need the key to “power up” and then the button to engage the starter.