Has anyone installed duallies on their TJ?

Quite a few photos on google...

AB961636-CC2E-4C4F-B931-864E150738E4.jpeg

7916E47F-8094-45B2-9A89-6CD7FDF3515A.jpeg

D7B71F94-C819-4EDF-AA0D-2CA7AD80D4F0.jpeg

26B9F369-504F-45E3-A343-3FFB60141677.jpeg

It's my understanding that duallies have less traction, when it's wet or muddy, because of the floatation factor.

This is very true, you have more surface area touching the ground, hence less psi on that contact area, not good on trails or rocks. Could help only with big wide duallies in the wide open mud, snow or sand areas, otherwise. :poop:

This is very true, you have more surface area touching the ground, hence less psi on that contact area, not good on trails or rocks. Could help only with big wide duallies in the wide open mud, snow or sand areas, otherwise. :poop:
There are two schools of thought for sand, mud, and snow:

1. Punch through to solid ground
2. Ride across the top

Most on-road AWD vehicles follow the first school of thought. Think of an AWD Subaru with it’s narrow tires.
1585672109759.jpeg

On snow on pavement, they more easily cut through the snow and find the pavement beneath, whereas something like a Jeep with wide tires slides all over the place because it can’t reach the pavement. In shallow snow or mud, the Subaru will keep better traction than a floatation tire equipped vehicle. But if that Subaru encounters very deep mud (or snow) like the below YJ, it will quickly become bogged and stuck.

Mud boggers go to the opposite school of thought. Think of this YJ I posted further up:
996D0645-36B5-45F0-B55F-6A7C860DB872.jpeg

Even without the dually it has very wide and large diameter tires. It will never find the bottom of a deep mud pit, but instead, drive across the top. It would also likely perform very well in deep snow or sand. However, it would easily slide all over the place in shallow snow on a road.

"
There are two schools of thought for sand, mud, and snow:

1. Punch through to solid ground
2. Ride across the top "

Agreed, thats why I said "wide open" mud, snow or sand.

Reactions: Steel City 06