Has anyone installed duallies on their TJ?

Its possible to add duals to *anything*:
00.jpg

That early Jeep has a sycle bar mower attached. That means its cutting hay for bailing. The goal of the duals is to give as much flotation as possible to prevent compaction of the hay field.

And they are better than a wide flotation tire for the Jeep. Remove a few bolts and it is ready to go to town with. That would suck for a long drive. Or plowing. Or discing. Or spreading 💩.

I have a 1 ton Dodge Dually with Cooper S/T Maxx tires. They tape out around 34 x 12 inches. Good look on the truck with beefier tires and a good load rating, we have a Arctic Fox camper that is way north 4k lbs loaded up for a trip. We have 3 acres of sand here, except where I hauled in road grindings to fill in and drive on. In places where it's still sand and the truck without any load will spin the tires from a dead stop and I have to lock in 4wd. There has been times I had the camper on or a load of garden soil on and drove in that area of the property, that weight made a huge difference and I could turn, stop back up in 2wd. Same results on a slippery mossy boating ramp at low tide. Some trips I have the camper, some not. No camper I'll have to lock up, on that same ramp with the camper I can idle up the ramp to dry pavement,,,gregg

Not really furthering the discussion at all, but I am seeing a bunch of Dual are good for traction/not good for traction. More rubber on the ground equals more traction. However, how that traction is applied is where it gets sticky. A subaru, with its skinny tires, give up snow traction (a low coefficient of friction) in favor of cutting through to a higher friction surface (the road bed). A jeep, with big knobby tires, is NOT giving up on snow traction. However, because snow is a low friction surface, you MUST slow down to let the tires do their work. Otherwise, as has been pointed out, you'll just slide across it. The lugs are needed to "paddle" the material, more like the thrust generated by a boat propeller vs straight friction.

Think about a large Plow tractor. Those guys are running double or even triple sets of tires and weigh a bunch more than a TJ. They are making enough traction to pull a 21+ bottom plow across a field ripping up dirt. They wouldn't be running that much tire if they didn't need it. The bars are for pushing the vehicle forward and the multitude of large tires are for flotation (so the farmers can get out in the spring, in their soft fields, without burying the tractors).

1591721742637.png

Taking the idea to its maximum effect, Look at tractors with dozer style tracks...all designed for flotation and traction.

1591721839446.png

You also notice sports cars have wide tires, not skinny ones...

Last edited:
Reactions: DETOUR and Squatch
I have a 1 ton Dodge Dually with Cooper S/T Maxx tires. They tape out around 34 x 12 inches. Good look on the truck with beefier tires and a good load rating, we have a Arctic Fox camper that is way north 4k lbs loaded up for a trip. We have 3 acres of sand here, except where I hauled in road grindings to fill in and drive on. In places where it's still sand and the truck without any load will spin the tires from a dead stop and I have to lock in 4wd. There has been times I had the camper on or a load of garden soil on and drove in that area of the property, that weight made a huge difference and I could turn, stop back up in 2wd. Same results on a slippery mossy boating ramp at low tide. Some trips I have the camper, some not. No camper I'll have to lock up, on that same ramp with the camper I can idle up the ramp to dry pavement,,,gregg
Pictures, remember pictures 😂

Can we talk about something that would actually improve a TJ ?

Reactions: MichaelGH