Has anyone made their own bikini top?

marissabrod

Has anyone made their own bikini top? Just wondering any cheaper way to do it since it'll only be used 4 months out of the year. If not any suggestions for a cheaper bikini top preferably cover both front and back seats?

I just bought a smittybilt and header bar off amazon for ~$110. I rarely use it but cost versus effort of trying to make my own wasn’t justifiable.

My Dad has made a few for his Jeep(willys flatfender) there not as nice as what you can buy and he had to put snaps across his windshield. Personally I like to make stuff but tops, I’d just buy.

Edit:
I may make one for mine just so I can have some coverage over me when I have the windshield off but that may be aluminum

Reactions: TJ Starting
I have an sunscreen that works for me. I think I paid $56.00 and driving it in a shower keeps me dry. Now parking it in the rain I don't know about. I have a soft top for that.

I tried but it wasn't very good...……….
cd-bikini.jpg

I made one out of some heavy duty black canvas type material I got at a boat repair place. I have a sport or roll cage added to the front of my roll bar. I can lay my windshield down and still have shade on the driver and passenger. I made a 3" hem by folding the material over all the way around to make it stronger as I put the brass grommets all the way around about 3 to 4 inchs apart, leaving a 1" space away from the roll bar all the way around. Then I took the little bungee ball stretchey things and went all the way around. It's as tight as a drum and has been on there for over 5 or 6 years. I just leave it on all the time, even when I put the hard top back on. I can take a better picture tomorrow if anyone is interested.
IMG_20170905_175252419_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180722_175338838_HDR.jpg

Has anyone made their own bikini top? Just wondering any cheaper way to do it since it'll only be used 4 months out of the year. If not any suggestions for a cheaper bikini top preferably cover both front and back seats?
If I made one for my wife it would be really skimpy.

I made my own shade top but i didn't do it to save money. To save any money it'll either look cheap/be low quality or you'll spend quite a bit of time on it.

... preferably cover both front and back seats?

that's called a safari length top

Reactions: JMT
Just get a Spiderweb Shade, or the cheaper version. I run one all summer long. Couldn’t survive without it. Best single accessory upgrade you can do for your tj for the money.

Reactions: L J