Has anyone measured the max temperature of their 231 transfer case?

SAT999

Hello. Has anyone measured the temperature of the transfer case 231 when driving in the city or in the mountains. How many degrees does the temperature heat up normally? I want to ask the same about the exhaust resonators. For me TJ 2004, 2.4L on the middle and rear I measured about 250 degrees Celsius (500F) after 20 km of driving in the city with the additional temperature protection. I installed additional temperature protection on the exhaust system because the transfer case overheated and oil leaked from the rear oil seal.

Last edited:
Interesting question. I have my trusty Covid infrared temp gun in my Jeep and had not considered using it on anything except hitchhikers. I will let you know, but it is gonna be cold day here in central Washington State tomorrow. Snow forecasted for several days.

FA79CF31-8C97-4F0D-AE93-FBD3988BD90F.jpeg

Сега също измерих температурата на изпускателната система. Външната температура беше 2 градуса по Целзий (35F)
Никога досега не съм го чувал. Каква течност (ако има такава) имаше в нея?
Transfer case NP231 oil ATF+4

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Сега също измерих температурата на изпускателната система. Външната температура беше 2 градуса по Целзий (35F)

Transfer case NP231 oil ATF+4
WHOA!!! careful there, the flash point of ATF+4 is 198°C (388°F) so i would say it's not suprising you blew the seal out as the oil is vaporizing.

I'm having trouble believing the transfer case is really getting to 500 degrees.
Exhaust system and resonators 500F. Transfer case i dont now, may be 200F without protection for Exhaust system. Now with protection 140F. But in the summer, even with protection, I can't drive the jeep

Last edited:
I tested my city car, a Skoda SUV. Exhaust system last resonator 60F after 2 hours of driving. Could there be a problem with catalysts in my jeep? In the Wrangler 2.4L how many catalysts are there, 1 or 2?

Is the exhaust system stock? Unless the transfer case is completely empty of fluid, or the cat convertor is glowing red and touching the transfer case, it shouldn't be getting hot enough to push fluid out.

Can you cut the cat out that is next to transfer case? On the 4.0 there is no monitoring of that cat and is easily removed. It seems likely your cat is clogged.

Is the exhaust system stock? Unless the transfer case is completely empty of fluid, or the cat convertor is glowing red and touching the transfer case, it shouldn't be getting hot enough to push fluid out.
Exhaust system is stock. Oil is new, 300miles ATF4 Mopar 1,5L. New Yoke eliminator in the transfer case. The transfer case heats up at the rear end. The heat from the exhaust system overheats it.

Can you cut the cat out that is next to transfer case? On the 4.0 there is no monitoring of that cat and is easily removed. It seems likely your cat is clogged.
I can only leave pipes or new exhaust system set . I don't know if that will help. The catalist and car of 60 000 miles stok.

My problem is escalating. Today I measured 650/700F on the third exhaust vessel. The front catalyst and resonator are also around 650-700F. Yesterday I took the car to an exhaust service. People said I had no problem with the catalyst. Today I went for diagnostics, in another jeep service, they didn't find anything on the engine and settings of the lambda and the air ducts. Only externally on the engine block measured 600F on the first cylinder and back and forth is up to 400 for the 4th cylinder. This, of course, may not be true. Everything they tell me may not be true, it is logical that someone is wrong somewhere.