Has anyone put remote start in their TJ?

Brian Reynolds

Has anyone put remote start in there Jeep. I live in NY and we get pretty cold sometimes. Thought it would be a nice treat to have a warm Jeep to jump into when I have to take the kids somewhere.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My remote start is my husband! :love2:
I honestly never thought about one for my TJ since it doesn't get driven much in the winter. But I did check with the dealer for one on the JKU and it was about $600 for everything. And yes it would be a nice warm treat on these yucky days!

Reactions: Equilibrium31
My remote start is my husband! :love2:
I honestly never thought about one for my TJ since it doesn't get driven much in the winter. But I did check with the dealer for one on the JKU and it was about $600 for everything. And yes it would be a nice warm treat on these yucky days!
My Jeep has become my daily driver as my motorcycle isn't a family hauler and my ram is a regular cab so my Jeep has become my family truck unless we take the girls grand Cherokee. So sometimes a warm seat would be nice. Even though it doesn't take long to warm up already warm would be better haha

Just make sure if you add remote start you have a manual. I could tell you the most embarrassing story about installing remote start (against all recommendations) in a vehicle of mine that had a manual transmission when I was 16 years old.

Yeah, that was an accident you had to see to believe!

Just make sure if you add remote start you have a manual. I could tell you the most embarrassing story about installing remote start (against all recommendations) in a vehicle of mine that had a manual transmission when I was 16 years old.

Yeah, that was an accident you had to see to believe!
Let me guess left it in gear and started it ?

Let me guess left it in gear and started it ?

Yes! Except I was 17 years old at the time and my car was parked in the driveway of her parents house. She came outside when I got there and I said to her, "Hey check out this remote start I just installed!".

I pressed the start button and the car launched forward into her parents garage and took the entire garage door right off the wall, damaging her Dad's Mercedes SL600 in the process :risas3::risas3::risas3:

I don't think I've ever been more embarrassed in my life!

Anyways, after that, I totally understood why everyone warned me against putting a remote start on a manual. It only works if you can remember to leave it in neutral (which I thought it was) and pull the e-brake.

I have been "practicing" to never leave it in gear in my driveway. Neither vehicle is in gear when home in anticipation of someday having remote start.

Yes! Except I was 17 years old at the time and my car was parked in the driveway of her parents house. She came outside when I got there and I said to her, "Hey check out this remote start I just installed!".

I pressed the start button and the car launched forward into her parents garage and took the entire garage door right off the wall, damaging her Dad's Mercedes SL600 in the process :risas3::risas3::risas3:

I don't think I've ever been more embarrassed in my life!

Anyways, after that, I totally understood why everyone warned me against putting a remote start on a manual. It only works if you can remember to leave it in neutral (which I thought it was) and pull the e-brake.
After it happened, did you look at her dad and say "Did I do that?", cuz that would have been perfect. :roflmao:

Idk though, I've thought about a remote start since I definitely live in a cold enough climate for it, but I've never had it in a place where it would be close enough to start, but far enough to be worth starting. Even if that was the case, being cold for a few min after getting in the Jeep has never bothered me much. Fortunately the heater is pretty great and it doesn't take long to warm up the small cabin.

After it happened, did you look at her dad and say "Did I do that?", cuz that would have been perfect. :roflmao:

Idk though, I've thought about a remote start since I definitely live in a cold enough climate for it, but I've never had it in a place where it would be close enough to start, but far enough to be worth starting. Even if that was the case, being cold for a few min after getting in the Jeep has never bothered me much. Fortunately the heater is pretty great and it doesn't take long to warm up the small cabin.

Nope, I was embarrassed as hell. Fortunately her parents felt bad enough for me that they claimed it on their homeowner's insurance! Lucky me! Still, to this day, that is a story I always have to tell.

I will have to dig around and find the exact model and brand. But simeone makes a remote start for manuals.

You have to go through steps to activate it.

When you arive at the destination you remove the key. (Engine is still running) get out. (I uses the door sensor to make sure that you opened and closed the door) hit the key fob to stop the engine. ( now it knows that you are in neutral ). If the door is opened any time after that it automatically disables the remote start. For example you get something out of the jeep a couple hours later. It will no longer be in remote start mode.

It sounds like a good unit. But for the life of me I can not remember who made it.

Remote start is a little more than I would add to my TJ. Because the quick heat sounds pretty good I've been thinking about adding a seat heater. We bought one for the daughter's car and she loved it last winter and I'm sure it's going back in for this winter. Part of her need is that most of her driving is less than 4 miles. I know, I know, that's not great on the engine but it's her car so I can only shake my head.

I haven't put Remote Start in my Jeep, however I have put Remote Explosion in my Jeep--to curtail Jeep theft abroad.

1542809809084.png

They don't work well when its -50 because the engine needs to crank longer before it will start. A properly installed unit on a vehicle with a manual tranny has a sequence where you put it in neutral, pull the parking brake and then hit the brake pedal twice before you shut off the engine. I had it in Alaska, hardly ever worked in extreme cold...

They don't work well when its -50 because the engine needs to crank longer before it will start. A properly installed unit on a vehicle with a manual tranny has a sequence where you put it in neutral, pull the parking brake and then hit the brake pedal twice before you shut off the engine. I had it in Alaska, hardly ever worked in extreme cold...
Well I don't get that cold -10 is coldest that I have delt with and that's rare. Right around 0-10 is average super cold in winter