Has anyone repaired stock Rubicon locker pumps?

Viking Jeeper

2A Supporter
Supporting Member
Both of my locker pumps are doing the same thing. They work and will lock the axle but appear to have internal leaks. When activated they pump up like usual and look the axle then cycle off/on intermittently quickly. I believe this is the internal pressure switch reactivating them to keep the pressure then shutting off quickly when reaching 5 psi. When removed from the vehicle, powered by 12 volt source, and with my finger plugging the output hose, they do the same thing so I really think the leaks are internal to the pumps. I've seen posts about replacing the pumps and the fact that new ones are not available and I am aware there are other proven means to activate the lockers but I would like to continue using the factory pumps.

As of Jan 2023, I have rebuilt a dozen or so locker air pumps. Common problems I've found are; 1) Rusted steel cover plates which lead to, 2) Rusted solenoid actuator (the actuator presses a rubber gasket into place when pumping to 4.5 psi., i.e. pump runs but never builds up pressure). 3) Defective Micro switch, which is supposed to trip the pump off when 4.5 psi is reached. Very bad on the differential bladders at they exceed the psi and will blow out. 4) blown circuit boards caused by reverse wiring on the bench. Don't touch the pink wire!. I can likely rebuild yours if not too far gone. I will send you pictures of your pump and my findings. BTW one Kia does have the same pumps. Several hundreds of $ in Canada for new. My price is $75 per pump plus shipping. I'm in southern Ontario Canada. Contact me at zoradp#kwic.com Paul or text 519 909 4298

Thanks, it is sorted and I am very happy it was not the actuator. I used a zip tie as suggested by somebody as the metal one was a bit weak.

Reactions: LONGJP2
As of Jan 2023, I have rebuilt a dozen or so locker air pumps. Common problems I've found are; 1) Rusted steel cover plates which lead to, 2) Rusted solenoid actuator (the actuator presses a rubber gasket into place when pumping to 4.5 psi., i.e. pump runs but never builds up pressure). 3) Defective Micro switch, which is supposed to trip the pump off when 4.5 psi is reached. Very bad on the differential bladders at they exceed the psi and will blow out. 4) blown circuit boards caused by reverse wiring on the bench. Don't touch the pink wire!. I can likely rebuild yours if not too far gone. I will send you pictures of your pump and my findings. BTW one Kia does have the same pumps. Several hundreds of $ in Canada for new. My price is $75 per pump plus shipping. I'm in southern Ontario Canada. Contact me at zoradp#kwic.com Paul or text 519 909 4298

I can attest to NOT TOUCHING THE PINK WIRE. Bricked one of mine by doing that.

Reactions: Waldeck