Has anyone replaced seat foam?

These are the seats I got. Getting the three seats redone locally was going to cost me $1500, these cost $800. They are firm and sit great. The flip and fold part works on mine because I drilled and tapped a 7/8" collar and put a 4", 1/4' -20 bolt in the collar. The bar that is usually operated by the cable assembly is 7/8' diameter which the collar fits on and lets you reach easily under the seat and release the flip and fold. Ill see if I can get a pic for a better explanation.
I would be interested in the mod

Trust me, I used to do upholstery years ago, you're better off just replacing the seats with new one's.
All the foam is rotten so now's the time to up-grade with some new seats.

My driver seat is pretty bad in the suspected area. The foam is completely deteriorated. What would be a recommended factory style replacement? I don't need a true off road seat with high bolsters.

Minor modifications and concessions required, but I went with a set of JK seats in our '03.
Capture1.JPG

My driver seat is pretty bad in the suspected area. The foam is completely deteriorated. What would be a recommended factory style replacement? I don't need a true off road seat with high bolsters.
I was in the same situation. I also didn't want high bolsters either so I bought some PRP Enduro recliners for 20% off during black Friday. With all of the options I choose they still came out to ~$1500 for the pair. They can be had for as low as ~$550 each without the extras.
Enduro-Highback-Web.png

Reactions: Tray Burge
How do you like the PRP seats. I've been needing new foam for years. But like others have noted, the seats themselves are in great shape. So last year I installed some new foam over my old foam. It helped, but I keep eyeing the PRP seats.

How do you like the PRP seats.
My installation was put on hold pending a seat base solution but I am close enough to the PRP showroom in Temecula to have sat in them a half-a-dozen times before I went home and placed the order. I found them to fit me better and be more comfortable than the OEM buckets.

Nice that you were able to sit in them. That is one of my biggest hold ups. Let us know your base solution when you get them in.

I was in the same situation. I also didn't want high bolsters either so I bought some PRP Enduro recliners for 20% off during black Friday. With all of the options I choose they still came out to ~$1500 for the pair. They can be had for as low as ~$550 each without the extras.
View attachment 315906
Enduros baby all the way!
Love mine.
Coming up on a year and zero wear or tear on the drivers side edge from sliding in and out too, so far.
IMG_1648.JPG

Reactions: L J
I visited a local upholstery shop to see about having new seat foam installed on my 2003 TJ and the owner told me that I could buy a new seat from Bestop cheaper than he could replace the foam on my seats (driver and passenger). He said that the foam is not removable but bonded to the seat bottom frame and is a nightmare to work on. He really thought Bestop had a better replacement seat. I checked them out and the price of the seat isn't bad, but they seem to required a new frame part that is as expensive as the seat.

1). Has any tried to replace the seat foam?

2). Has any purchased the Bestop seat? How are they? Are they an exact replica for the OEM? Did you have to buy the seat frame part too?

Thanks

Bob
Bob,

I just replaced my on my own...a little tricky with out having the c clamps to attach the rods to the cushion, but managed.

Did not have to take the cover completely off...

Seat cushion was definitely broken down, so it will be nice to have the cushion.

David

Yesterday i got a passenger seat foam from an 01 grand cherokee and installed it in my 97 tj drivers seat. 2 minutes of pocket knife work to the pleather upholstery and needle nose pliers to expand the rear hog rings that hold the foam to the gc seat frame so i didn't need to pull the seat
20220818_142357.jpg

20220818_161355.jpg

Last edited:
The passenger side foam went right in.just trimmed a little bit in the tilt lever area and took an inch off where it hangs down below the frame in the front to match.You need to expand some hog rings to get your seat cover off the old foams molded in rails. I used needle nose for this and to clamp them back down on the gc foam. I was too lazy to find my hog ring pliers. Its about 10 hog rings.the gc foam under the pleather was in great shape. Not crumbing like my tj foam. It took me maybe 2hrs to get done. Well worth it for the cost of a 10$ piece of junkyard foam and my time!

I also realized somebody had put passenger side tj lower upholstery on my drivers seat at some point. Just cut a slit for the tilt lever and a couple pieces of wire to secure the sides. Works great
20220818_150216.jpg

Reactions: RussTJ
If i find some nice gc seats i might take the upholstery off them and try on my fathers tj,they looked very similar. His vinyl seats are cracked badly